Birding Year List

chrisjpainter

7 hours ago, JDog said:

Yesterday I saw a bird flying near my house which I couldn't identify. If was the size of a crow, had a longish tail and was grey in colour.

The closest bird to it would be a male Hen Harrier but it wasn't one of those.

Any suggestions?

Cuckoo ?

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We know Summer is just around the corner when you hear the first call of the Cuckoo , heard mine yesterday along with the almost every morning boom of the Bitten , also the Great Egret on the marshes is now becoming a common sight .

Still waiting for my first sighting of a Swift, but I think it is only a matter of days away now the weather have took a turn for the better :good:

12 minutes ago, Fargo said:

What’s this chicken in my mates garden?

CEF294E5-BD39-40E1-9076-2AF172E6E25B.jpeg

A Great Bustard, probably one of the re-introduced birds from Salisbury plain initiative of  2004, 20 birds were released from Russian source.

See The Great Bustard Group online, for more information.

36 minutes ago, twenty said:

A Great Bustard, probably one of the re-introduced birds from Salisbury plain initiative of  2004, 20 birds were released from Russian source.

See The Great Bustard Group online, for more information.

👍🏻👍🏻😄

A friend has a small private collection. Great birds and amazing how big and aggressive can be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw a White Stork recently, in the valley of the River Ver, near Redbourn, Herts.

Only one on it's own, I recognised it soon enough as I've seen a few pairs on stubble fields alongside the motorway between Boulogne and Calais.

Apparently they're rare in the UK?

Cat. 😎

15 hours ago, Catamong said:

I saw a White Stork recently, in the valley of the River Ver, near Redbourn, Herts.

Only one on it's own, I recognised it soon enough as I've seen a few pairs on stubble fields alongside the motorway between Boulogne and Calais.

Apparently they're rare in the UK?

Cat. 😎

Have a look at the website 'The White Stork project'

plenty of info there, but to see one like you did is great.

All the best.

On 04/07/2023 at 07:07, twenty said:

Have a look at the website 'The White Stork project'

plenty of info there, but to see one like you did is great.

All the best.

Thanks, yes, I'd already reported it on there before I posted the sighting on PW, they did reply to say that there hadn't been any other sightings in the area. Perhaps he was just passing through?

Cat😎

• 2 weeks later...

This fella is causing quite a stir locally!

I haven't seen it and spent some time looking this evening along side some birders who travelled 6hrs to try and get a glimpse. Only the third recording in Ireland apparently. Can anyone put a name to it? I had never even heard of it before yesterday.

Screenshot_20230718-114157_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

I haven't seen it and spent some time looking this evening along side some birders who travelled 6hrs to try and get a glimpse. Only the third recording in Ireland apparently. Can anyone put a name to it? I had never even heard of it before yesterday.

It's a Collared Pratincole, a scarce summer vagrant from Southern Europe and North Africa.

11 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Black winged Pratincole.

Spotted an Albino/pure white Swallow today amongst a group of ten or so 'normal' swallows.

A first for me, and brilliant to watch it hawking insects with its fellow Swallows.

Have seen Albino's/white birds in Pheasant, Blackbird, Woodpigeon, Jackdaw, Magpie and also pied birds in Carrion Crow and Starling but todays sighting was by far the best as regards unusuality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, derbyduck said:

Hi guys not sure but for the past three weeks whilst taking the dog out I've been hearing what I think is a Hoopoe , but I carnt seem to spot it , I've not heard one before ,have they ever been reported in North Derbyshire before ?