EU trying to steal our vaccines

Rob85

If the EU banned exports of the vaccine to the UK, couldn't we just ban the exports from the AZ plants in the UK.

We shall see. 

The European Union has confirmed it is introducing export controls on coronavirus vaccines made in the bloc, amid a row about delivery shortfalls."The protection and safety of our citizens is a priority and the challenges we now face left us with no choice but to act," the European Commission said.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I also hear correctly today that the EU is being sold the vaccine at cost price? Meaning Astra zenacca don't make any profit, yet the UK is actually paying a price that will enable them to profit from it? I'm nearly sure a radio news bulletin had that on it today and if that's the case then we should definitely be front of the queue!!

16 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Did I also hear correctly today that the EU is being sold the vaccine at cost price? Meaning Astra zenacca don't make any profit, yet the UK is actually paying a price that will enable them to profit from it? I'm nearly sure a radio news bulletin had that on it today and if that's the case then we should definitely be front of the queue!!

I'm sure its been said that AZ are doing it at cost price too everyone

Edited by bluesj

3 hours ago, old man said:

The way to help cure their ire is to only buy British goods going forward. Something I have done for months, no hardship to avoid buying their stuff. 'Tis a big world?

Could spell his ending but hey ho wages for life.

G** help us if we end up with Gove?

Have to agree with that wholeheartedly.  Hit the producers within the EU and they will sort out the almighty ones in Brussels.  At the moment the whole of the EU is like a paper castle in in hurricane. The end is not too far away . Fifteen years ago a group of us gave them twelve but they have managed to hold on with their greedy little fingers for a little bit longer.  There will be some weeping and wailing when it happens for sure.

18 minutes ago, AVB said:

But but what about the hard border? Surely this means the terrorist will be out in force because that’s what we were told would happen if a hard border was reimposed due to Brexit! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55864442

The border has always being used by the EU as a way to get concessions from the UK, and Boris caved in to their demands. It could come back to bite them, their is growing discontent in NI about the border in the Irish sea this will only add to it. 

Discontent is “growing” in loyalist communities over the Northern Ireland protocol, a senior police officer has said, pointing to signs that anger is rising over trade disruption. 

Edited by ordnance

20 minutes ago, Chris B123 said:

I see the EU has invoked article 16, effectively putting a hard border between us and N Ireland.

Didn't Boris put (or at least try) a law in place for just this sort of thing? you know the one, the one that broke international law just by suggesting it may be needed!  

13 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Didn't Boris put (or at least try) a law in place for just this sort of thing? you know the one, the one that broke international law just by suggesting it may be needed!  

Yes, the backstop, which they said in theory would never be needed, didn't take long.

take long

Good grief, how can anyone regret leaving this complete bunch of *******?

Brussels and the EU Leadership is just confirming why we did the right thing in leaving, just wish it had been much quicker.

Because they were slow in ordering vaccines and were conned in to going along with the French, they are trying to dictate to vaccine manufacturers and the UK Government.

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good grief, how can anyone regret leaving this complete bunch of *******?

Brussels and the EU Leadership is just confirming why we did the right thing in leaving, just wish it had been much quicker.

Because they were slow in ordering vaccines and were conned in to going along with the French, they are trying to dictate to vaccine manufacturers and the UK Government.

Yes they messed up, and now they are trying to deflect their failures. The thing that will be really annoying them is the UK being ahead on vaccines, just when they are doing their best to punish the UK for brexit, and convince countries they are better in the EU.  They are in full panic mode, and doing things that could come back to hunt them. 

Edited by ordnance

15 minutes ago, bluesj said:

The big question that the eu don't seem to be asking is why production at the 4 AZ plants in europe can't meet demand and is there anything they could do to help speed things up 

Because that's something they should have done months ago, it would not go down well with other EU countries if they started asking a question now they should have asked months ago. Blaming others is much easer. 

9 hours ago, AVB said:

I see that the contract has been published. I don't see that the EU have a leg to stand on as it states "best reasonable efforts". So that means that AZ don't need to do anything that is commercially unviable in order to fulfil the contract. 

Es5VKLhXEAAjl5E.jpeg

The EU spin on the contract seems tenuous at best to me.  There has been a lot of muttering about section 5.4 and how that considers the UK facilities, for the purpose of the clause, as part of the EU but that is a clause of permissibility of supply from a non EU country rather than an obligation to supply.

The "binding commitments" that are explicitly defined relate to the total count of vaccine supplied with no commitment to timescale or a schedule, those are defined by "reasonable best endeavours".

RBE is also defined as a comparison to a company of similar size and capability in developing and supplying a vaccine during a global pandemic, of which the only analogues, currently, are Pfizer and Moderna, both of which also have the same problem in ability to scale.

Coupled with Macron's crazy statements today, enforcing article 16 on the Irish border, the placing of export embargoes and a host of other nonsense being spouted about virus efficacy suggest it is a very orchestrated misinformation campaign by the EU to try and suggest that the reason the UK is doing so much better in vaccine distribution, and deflecting their own poor performance, is because of duplicitous acts by AZ and the UK.

What is in essence a trade dispute between the EU and their supplier they have tried to turn in to an issue about the UK.  Using heightened emotion around Brexit to paint the UK as some sort of enemy of European unity and safety to cover up a manifest failure of the EU leadership.

A German MEP going as far to say that the UK needs to think carefully before starting a trade war when every single bit of hostile rhetoric has it's source in the EU institution.

The EU have built a case to justify Brexit so remarkably well.  The pleasing thing is that a lot of the European member states' press is seeing right through it and calling them out.

The EU have also pulled off the remarkable and have managed to unify politics across the spectrum in NI within the space of a day.

They also appear to have dragged the US, Canada, Japan and Australia into this fight of their own making, really quite remarkable.

Hmmm, scratch the bit about Article 16, a quick U turn by the EU.

This debacle makes BoJo look competent and that is another remarkable feat.

The EU have also pulled off the remarkable and have managed to unify politics across the spectrum in NI within the space of a day.

Yep that's a first, just shows how much they are losing the plot, i doubt the UK government would be smuggling vaccines across the Irish border to GB.  

Edited by ordnance

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

EU has played this appallingly. Embarrassing for all involved. There needs to be censure for this. Boris has avoided getting involved but needs to draw a line under it rather than say “it’s a commercial matter between the EU and their supplier”. 

The EU has indeed played this appallingly.  Boris has (very sensibly) stood back and let them wallow in a real mess entirely of their own making, digging themselves deeper and deeper.

The reports I have read relating to the (now published) contract between the EU and Astra Zeneca suggest that contract lawyers confirm AZ has behaved correctly and the EU are incorrect in their interpretation.

Personally, I think it is sensible for politicians to keep from interfering - particularly 'our' politicians because the AZ contract as interpreted by independent lawyers (if indeed there is such an animal) supports 'our' case.

It seems quite incredible that the Irish border issue on which the EU swiftly backtracked was apparently never even mentioned to let alone discussed with the Dublin govt.  It shows how isolated and arrogant the EU commission has become.

My old man always said that a country had to be able to arm Itself and feed itself.

We still import far too much stuff and food via the EU to get into anything too serious with them - what do they say, 5 meals away from riots?

Mind you, I hope the whole world has had its eyes opened to what Club EU is actually all about.

I’m genuinely disgusted.

It also highlights how it is impossible to get anything done on the continent because of endemic red tape, bureaucracy and corruption and that is the essence of the EU.

32 minutes ago, vmaxphil said:

Good job boris got his act together ordering vaccines, if we were part of the eu conglomerate I wonder who would be last in the list for them the way they are acting 

Oh you know it