America

AVB

There is all talk about lockdowns in the UK and Europe but CV19 in the US has been overshadowed by Trump/Biden. So what is going on over there? From what I hear there are no significant lockdowns (via friends in Utah, NY and Texas) and they appear to be ‘living with it’ with everybody taking their own precautions based upon their own risk assessment.   Anybody else know? 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AVB said:

There is all talk about lockdowns in the UK and Europe but CV19 in the US has been overshadowed by Trump/Biden. So what is going on over there? From what I hear there are no significant lockdowns (via friends in Utah, NY and Texas) and they appear to be ‘living with it’ with everybody taking their own precautions based upon their own risk assessment.   Anybody else know? 

You can't compare what's happening in America to the UK etc, its like 52 different countries all doing their own thing, apart from what is mandated by the Federal government. As for people living with it and taking their own precautions based on their own risk assessment, is that not what most sensible people are doing. 

36 minutes ago, ordnance said:

You can't compare what's happening in America to the UK etc, its like 52 different countries all doing their own thing, apart from what is mandated by the Federal government. As for people living with it and taking their own precautions based on their own risk assessment, is that not what most sensible people are doing. 

No. If you hadn’t realised the government here imposed a national lockdown. Where is the self management No freedom to manage your own risks here. 

22 hours ago, AVB said:

I do not know about Bidens ideas for lockdowns, i am not even sure the US presidency can lock the whole country down. that is a job for the individual states. 

but i saw he was Pushing for 1.5 million vaccinations the other day in his first 100 days as president. he had upped this from 1 million.

But a couple of days latter he had dropped back to 1 million a day for 100 days. He was a little ambitious it seems.

He is Trying to do what he can, and looks like he might do more than Trump did.

I saw on a video the other day concern for America if b117 gets going over there.

On 28/01/2021 at 11:29, AVB said:

Absolutely nothing really,  Here in North Carolina some people wear mask, some do not.  The buffets and restaurants are open.  They can’t serve alcohol after 10pm in NC for some dumb reason but most places do.  The movie theaters are open but they have every other row blocked off.   I went to a gun show today, then got a bite at a restaurant, went grocery shopping then went home.  The only ammo on the shelves are shotgun shells, but al the indoor and outdoor ranges are open if you have ammo. I actually haven’t wore a mask yet except when I went to the doctor office one time.    My wife works at the hospital so it’s just a matter of time before we catch it.  

On 29/01/2021 at 14:41, MARSH GUN said:

I do not know about Bidens ideas for lockdowns, i am not even sure the US presidency can lock the whole country down. that is a job for the individual states. 

but i saw he was Pushing for 1.5 million vaccinations the other day in his first 100 days as president. he had upped this from 1 million.

But a couple of days latter he had dropped back to 1 million a day for 100 days. He was a little ambitious it seems.

He is Trying to do what he can, and looks like he might do more than Trump did.

I saw on a video the other day concern for America if b117 gets going over there.

Didn't Biden rave about how awful Trump managed Covid, said he would sort it all out, then once he got in made an announcement that there was nothing he could do about it? :lol: 

52 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Absolutely nothing really,  Here in North Carolina some people wear mask, some do not.  The buffets and restaurants are open.  They can’t serve alcohol after 10pm in NC for some dumb reason but most places do.  The movie theaters are open but they have every other row blocked off.   I went to a gun show today, then got a bite at a restaurant, went grocery shopping then went home.  The only ammo on the shelves are shotgun shells, but al the indoor and outdoor ranges are open if you have ammo. I actually haven’t wore a mask yet except when I went to the doctor office one time.    My wife works at the hospital so it’s just a matter of time before we catch it.  

See or buy any nice guns? 

42 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Didn't Biden rave about how awful Trump managed Covid, said he would sort it all out, then once he got in made an announcement that there was nothing he could do about it?  

See or buy any nice guns? 

Saw a few,  everything it twice the price of retail because of the gun shortage we are experiencing right now.  So I’m not buying much.  I did get a Ruger bearcat the other day.  It’s basically a single action army but made for children.  Holds six shots of 22lr and 60% scale.   Bought it for my 9 year old to carry while he is back in the woods. 

B1EA4A16-1697-458A-A7B9-6E8720690787.jpeg

6 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

That to me says that Americans are learning to live with it. 

I think we have to just live with it and use our own common sense or not which is what most people do any way. Our wales fella reckon holiday attractions like parks, zoos etc may open by April again. But you don't have to be the brains of Britain to know that once you allow mixing it will spread again so all this lock down has been wasted. Though saying that it does give time for vaccinations. He also said we can now burst a bubble then create a new bubble but only after 10 days mind. Also now meet for exercise with one person from out side a bubble. I can't  be-leave how dense he must be to think people actually take notice of that rubbish. People make there own choices for better or worse 

That to me says that Americans are learning to live with it. 

That's one American state out of 50, its hard to conclude from that Americans are learning to live with it. That's like saying it looks like Europeans are learning to live with it, because one country in Europe has less restrictions that the others. 

Edited by ordnance

1 hour ago, ordnance said:

That's one American state out of 50, its hard to conclude from that Americans are learning to live with it. That's like saying it looks like Europeans are learning to live with it, because one country in Europe has less restrictions that the others. 

Very true. However it seems a similar story from people I know in other States - Utah, Colorado, Texas, New York. So are there any States that have a similar lockdown to us? The attached link which I have just found seems to show minimal restrictions in all but a couple. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

Looking at these US stats it’s weird. Very limited restrictions in nearly all States but cases have been falling in all States since December or January. They must be doing something right. 

Edited by AVB

17 hours ago, AVB said:

Very true. However it seems a similar story from people I know in other States - Utah, Colorado, Texas, New York. So are there any States that have a similar lockdown to us? The attached link which I have just found seems to show minimal restrictions in all but a couple. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/states-reopen-map-coronavirus.html

Looking at these US stats it’s weird. Very limited restrictions in nearly all States but cases have been falling in all States since December or January. They must be doing something right. 

Looking at the restrictions don’t show the whole picture.  For the first week or two people followed them,  then not so much.  Once it was clear nobody was actually enforcing anything they just went away.  I still she elderly people wearing mask and about 10-20% of people out and about.  But the rest of the stuff is BS.  Like the no liquor offer 10pm rule.  People will walk in the bar at 9:45 and pay for 6 drinks.  Then the bar tender will make them through the night as you want them.  But if you are paying cash you can pay after 10 at most places.  

On 01/02/2021 at 01:24, NoBodyImportant said:

I actually haven’t wore a mask yet except when I went to the doctor office one time.    My wife works at the hospital so it’s just a matter of time before we catch it.  

Excellent work, so if you are asymptomatic you will be spreading it everywhere except for the doctor's office 🙄

16 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Looking at the restrictions don’t show the whole picture.  For the first week or two people followed them,  then not so much.  Once it was clear nobody was actually enforcing anything they just went away.  I still she elderly people wearing mask and about 10-20% of people out and about.  But the rest of the stuff is BS.  Like the no liquor offer 10pm rule.  People will walk in the bar at 9:45 and pay for 6 drinks.  Then the bar tender will make them through the night as you want them.  But if you are paying cash you can pay after 10 at most places.  

So it’s not just the UK residents that are the only naughty people in the world who don’t always follow the rules. If you believed our press you would think it was. But considering the lax restrictions in America and, from what you say, lots of rule bending, how come cases are falling in most areas? Anybody have any ideas? 

44 minutes ago, AVB said:

Anybody have any ideas? 

Whisper it...It's as if lockdowns don't help to contain the spread of airborne viruses.

55 minutes ago, henry d said:

Excellent work, so if you are asymptomatic you will be spreading it everywhere except for the doctor's office 🙄

Maybe, given that the US* is doing better than the UK, you might want to curtail your preachy tone.

The data on mask efficacy is far from clear.

My opinion is that masks may work on the micro scale, viz. trained medical personnel using single use masks properly, but expand that to the macro scale, and they actually cause more problems than they solve.  This incidentally, is what we were told by government, before they bowed to pressure from the 'do something' brigade.

*Absolutely, it varies by State.