I/c for driven pheasant

keeper96

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

my mate always used a side x side cylinder both barrels........he used a 32gram #6 Express cartridge...the cartridges he used were express but were very smooth the use....i always wondered at the distances he used to bring down game.......

If they're in the pattern they die and that only comes with experience. Most people these days want immediate gratification 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

If you are feeling under gunned, it is normally because you are missing.

……or because you’re under gunned. Especially at 50 yards and beyond….with nearly cylinder. 

I know we are trying to be supportive to the OP etc. and that’s great, but I think a good old dose of factual honesty is kinder. If you chatted to regular guns on a true high pheasant shoot and asked them what chokes they’re using - most would be 3/4 at least. Personally I find it works superbly. A word of caution though,  It’s horrible for average birds as there is usually a dense ‘core’ at normal ranges. This opens out at ranges the choke is meant for. 

Just now, London Best said:

Shotguns are not meant for shooting at 50 yards and beyond.

That’s the sort of range the OP is asking about….?!

Admittedly shotguns were never meant to do this originally. However they certainly do these days with modern barrels/chokes/cart’s.

Mine does (when I point it in the right place?!) and the other 7 guns who I shot high bids with earlier in the week managed OK. In fact my friend, with his 20 bore took one of the highest (and fastest) cock birds I have ever seen. 50 - 60 yards is fine. I wouldn’t want to shoot at higher birds than that however. 

In my own experiments, I can get a feasible pattern at 60 yds - but only just. Step back to 70 yds and it’s almost as though the pattern plate has been missed altogether. 

37 minutes ago, London Best said:

Or pages and pages of theory.

Which is only ever good enough to put you in the ballpark if you're lucky and which then leaves it up to the individual to adjust to his/her own needs as applicable which as already pointed out is probably not going to happen as currently folk want it and want it now. Fortunately, in our case  - and accepting that there has been some glaring errors spotted with the advantage of hindsight or improvements in technology - most of the pages reflect empirical studies- tried and tested before appearing in print and can be pretty much relied upon - after all, a pheasant is still just a pheasant, as is a lead No 6 shot, as pretty much is a shotgun barrel albeit with some minor improvements giving a couple of feet of additional range at best.

I’ve spoken to the organiser today and it seems the majority of birds are around 40-45 yards, from what’s been said on here and a discussion with others IC is not ideal but provided I do my part right should pose no serious issues. 

I do have another gun with tighter chokes, that I do shoot well, but just don’t enjoy shooting as much, which I’ll take along just in case I do struggle after the first drive or 2 

thanks all 

1 minute ago, keeper96 said:

I’ve spoken to the organiser today and it seems the majority of birds are around 40-45 yards, from what’s been said on here and a discussion with others IC is not ideal but provided I do my part right should pose no serious issues. 

I do have another gun with tighter chokes, that I do shoot well, but just don’t enjoy shooting as much, which I’ll take along just in case I do struggle after the first drive or 2 

thanks all 

A very sensible plan.

Enjoy your day.  :good:

11 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

thanks all 

You might just find that this is where the second gun comes into its own.

44 minutes ago, keeper96 said:

thanks all 

Good stuff - have a great day! 

Stick with your normal set up  - you’ll do just fine  - I soot 28g 6s out of my SXS at all the shoots I attend, granted I don’t do the crazy high stuff that’s in fashion from certain you tube channels, if they’re 40 yard birds you will be in the thick of it no problem, take your normal cartridges and normal choke set up to a pattern plate - I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised, don’t be tempted to stuff heavy shells though your SXS, don’t get sucked in by the tight choke heavy cartridges hype 👍

5 hours ago, keeper96 said:

thanks all 

Have a great day👍

On 29/10/2021 at 12:21, keeper96 said:

I’d love to tell but the lad organising it keeps things close to his chest, sorry mate! 

I’m certainly looking forward to it though!

I’ve never been before, it was described as good with some higher birds and knowing the bloke his “good”is anything around 40yrds 

definitely not talking Whitfield standards though 

Fair enough I will never know if I am picking up behind you unless I look for the bloke shooting at only moderate birds😂😂

20 hours ago, wymberley said:

Or worse, wounding.

Could you please tell me how you can tell if you have wounded a bird 

im pretty sure I can tell if I’ve hit it and killed it 

also fairly confident on a leg down or broken wing 

it’s just the one pellet hit that I can’t tell obviously it’s wounded how do I tell 

12 hours ago, Bungle The Bear said:

Stick with your normal set up  - you’ll do just fine  - I soot 28g 6s out of my SXS at all the shoots I attend, granted I don’t do the crazy high stuff that’s in fashion from certain you tube channels, if they’re 40 yard birds you will be in the thick of it no problem, take your normal cartridges and normal choke set up to a pattern plate - I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised, don’t be tempted to stuff heavy shells though your SXS, don’t get sucked in by the tight choke heavy cartridges hype 👍

Exactly, could not have put it better myself.    I have no problem with shooting at 40-45yrd birds with my 410 it is down to me not what I have in my hand.

Whatever have a great day and don't get all tied up about it, just relax and have fun.

40 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

it’s just the one pellet hit that I can’t tell obviously it’s wounded how do I tell 

You often can't. If the pellet hits breast muscle it will often cause a flinch but if it goes through any other tissue which doesn't cause a flinch, knock feathers out etc it is often impossible to tell.