Decoys

steve_b_wales

I don't go pigeon shooting much owing to the lack of them in my area. However, I've got a new permission on an arable farm where there's plenty. My decoys are a mixed match of different ones, some not very good. I don't want to spend too much on buying a dozen or so new ones, but obviously don't want rubbish ones. What ones are recommended?

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, shell ones are the way to go, with perhaps one or two full bodied ones added. Just not sure what is the best brand to purchase. I read on a Facebook page that Durham decoys are very good (?)

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I would get a dozen flocked shells , and 2 bouncer poles and decoys, can you not refurb some you already have to, you made some good crow deeks 👍

I could attempt to make a few like the corvid one's I made, I suppose. I'll look into it. :good:

I've got plenty of bouncer/floated poles, and I think I've got two lightweight pigeon decoys for them. I'll have a look later.

Hello, I did have all sorts but gave most away to 2 young shooters, I would get any 12 flocked shells and 3 whole body that looks most realistic , those mentioned look good, my shooting bag that Lin made takes the the above, cartridges and food/ flask, and a camo net, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

42 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, shell ones are the way to go, with perhaps one or two full bodied ones added. Just not sure what is the best brand to purchase. I read on a Facebook page that Durham decoys are very good (?)

I could attempt to make a few like the corvid one's I made, I suppose. I'll look into it. :good:

I've got plenty of bouncer/floated poles, and I think I've got two lightweight pigeon decoys for them. I'll have a look later.

Hello, your be ready for the spring drilling 👍

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

I don't go pigeon shooting much owing to the lack of them in my area. However, I've got a new permission on an arable farm where there's plenty. My decoys are a mixed match of different ones, some not very good. I don't want to spend too much on buying a dozen or so new ones, but obviously don't want rubbish ones. What ones are recommended?

Buy yourself a grey primer rattle can most the pound shops have them now. 

A bit of mat white emulsion and your good to go. 

Then swop them as you get some. 👍

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, your be ready for the spring drilling 👍

Yes, the farmer has had to use banger ropes to keep them off. We are going down there lunchtime today to meet up with him so he can show us where they are. We used to shoot there many years ago. The annoying thing now is that I'm working most of next week, and then away for two weeks holiday. My shooting mate doesn't drive, and on my return from holidays, he's away for his.

42 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Yes, the farmer has had to use banger ropes to keep them off. We are going down there lunchtime today to meet up with him so he can show us where they are. We used to shoot there many years ago. The annoying thing now is that I'm working most of next week, and then away for two weeks holiday. My shooting mate doesn't drive, and on my return from holidays, he's away for his.

Ok hope it goes well 👍

On 10/03/2022 at 10:18, Ultrastu said:

Personally .I prefer full-bodied decoys .I hang them from a stiff wire loop via a bit of fishing line .that way they swing and jiggle in the wind .

Definitely  better than a static 1/2  shell 

Movement  is the key .

Thanks for posting. Our bird numbers have collapsed and I can't now be fussed with all the electric gismos. Plus, putting the decoys out is painful and picking them up, agony. Really, it's a case of sitting out in the countryside with a gun and warming the old bones. But this idea may just make a difference - never thought of it.

:thanks:

Many years ago, a mate of mine made a very simple frame to hang decoys on. Using wire coat hangers, he cut them and bent them into the shape shown. Then he added little hooks on the decoys and hung them on the coat hanger hook. Placing the legs of the hanger closer/further apart, allowed the decoys to move with the wind. To raise them above crops, he inserted the legs into bamboo. I tried this myself and it works well. Getting wire coat hangers now, is probably the hardest thing to do. I've got approx 60 spare, for future use.

COATHANGER.jpg

Edited by steve_b_wales

On 10/03/2022 at 10:18, Ultrastu said:

Personally .I prefer full-bodied decoys .I hang them from a stiff wire loop via a bit of fishing line .that way they swing and jiggle in the wind .

Definitely  better than a static 1/2  shell 

Movement  is the key .

Brilliant! :good:

My decoys have the lofting lug which is designed (by location) for the purpose - see TC's photo of Chris' work -  so that when lofted they're all heads up supposedly while sat on a branch. Not much good on the ground when they're supposed to be feeding. Have had a fiddle and by adding 2 further attachment points slightly further back can alter the point of balance to give a more realistic display. I have plenty of time to get these all sorted before the pigeon shooting - what there is of it - starts. Meanwhile I have a feeling that this could also improve the corvid decoys.

1 hour ago, Digger79 said:

Ive got some here Steve if you want to borrow till you get yours, as for your mate not being able to drive when your away 😉

Thanks for the offer. I do have a few pigeon decoys but they are not the best. I've been hinting to my mate to buy some or even go half each but he's gone deaf! I'll wait until I return from holidays and then decide what to buy.

I haven't forgotten your kind offer regarding the rabbits either, and I'll be in touch with you on my return. Thanks again, much appreciated.🙂🙂🙂🙂

16 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

check amazon mate.  NITEHAWK do 12  full body decoys for £22  and £4 delivery they usualy do a shells for roughly the same price but theyre out of stock on their website atm

Thanks. I just checked them. I think as they are painted, they may be a bit shiny. The flocked ones look good though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2022 at 08:24, steve_b_wales said:

I made about 20 or 30 or so pigeon ones following your crow method, painted them with B&Q tester pots, I use bamboo skewers to hold them. Replace with dead birds as soon as I can, using bamboo skewers also. Pattern is vital having no bodies.

I tend to leave leave in my permanent hides as they're inexpensive if stolen. They work as well as my half shells but nothing works as well as dead birds.

Unfortunately crow & pigeon become educated very fast to these types of decoy  so if you miss you may have a long wait for the next flight.

If you want I can put some pictures up. I make them all marginally bigger than the actual bird if that helps.

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I made about 20 or 30 or so pigeon ones following your crow method, painted them with B&Q tester pots, I use bamboo skewers to hold them. Replace with dead birds as soon as I can, using bamboo skewers also. Pattern is vital having no bodies.

I tend to leave leave in my permanent hides as they're inexpensive if stolen. They work as well as my half shells but nothing works as well as dead birds.

Unfortunately crow & pigeon become educated very fast to these types of decoy  so if you miss you may have a long wait for the next flight.

If you want I can put some pictures up. I make them all marginally bigger than the actual bird if that helps.

I have found that Jackdaws are the most stupid of birds. They've come into my pattern when my shooting partner has been out picking the dead ones up. Crows are a different matter unless very young. It would be good to see your pigeon ones.

54 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The whole lot is less than carrier bag size and weighs just a few ounces. 30 pigeon, 15 crow and too many skewers to count.

20220330_180546.jpg

20220330_180602.jpg

20220330_180658.jpg

20220330_180853.jpg

20220330_180916.jpg

20220330_180934.jpg

Hi Centrepin ... One of the cheapest ones I ever made and used were made out from off cutt of Grey plastic guttering , all you had to do was cut the head section out and paint the rest , these stacked on top of each other and like you I often left a dozen in a semi permanent hide , cost next to nothing to make and I must admit we often ordered a extra length just in case we got the measurements wrong when weighing the job up :lol: