Chaos at Dover again

Vince Green

Just now, Boybrit said:

Now post Brexit you have to get your passport stamped every time you cross from Dover to enter France so the normal passport will fill up with useless stamps. There used to be non landing booze cruises so how that could work only him upstairs knows. I live 1.5 mile from Eastern Docks so it causes chaos with smart alecs with big 40 tooners trying to wriggle through Dovers small residential streets then getting stuck and bottlenecking all the local SUVs school runs.

40 tonners sorry.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My understanding is that it is all caused by a lack of staff manning the French passport and immigration desks - which are in Dover as you are cleared BEFORE you get on the ferry.  This causes long queues - which have knock on effects on traffic etc.  I read that 6 out of 14 desks provided were manned (on the busiest days of the year) and those manned were checking every 'i' was dotted and 't' crossed.

9 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I think most of the country has something to cry about at the moment

If you were in the Ukraine that might be true.  If you were in Ceylon, you might have something to cry about.  Or a few other countries.

In the UK, a few individuals will of course have things to cry about from personal tragedies and events, the rest of us might have a bit of hassle and aggravation, a queue here and there, have to 'tighten our belts' a bit and forgo a few treats, and perhaps one of the worst - wait longer for an NHS treatment.  Its not great, but we are SO much better off than the few who really have got something to cry about.  Its not like someone is lobbing missiles and shelling our country, or we are being invaded and having civilians killed by an invading power.

There is in fact (in real terms) very little for the general population to cry about in most of the 1st world.

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

My understanding is that it is all caused by a lack of staff manning the French passport and immigration desks - which are in Dover as you are cleared BEFORE you get on the ferry.  This causes long queues - which have knock on effects on traffic etc.  I read that 6 out of 14 desks provided were manned (on the busiest days of the year) and those manned were checking every 'i' was dotted and 't' crossed.

And that must be deliberate,  they new it would be busy.

25 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

That will depend on your quality of living standards ask some going to food banks cant pay leky or gas i think they may dissagree with you

I would not disagree, but when you see known food bank users in the shop buying scratchcards, fags and displaying the latest iPhone, tattoos and the latest designer gear makes having sympathy quite hard, I do recognise there are genuine case who really do choose between heat or eat and we should do what we can to help but the ones that are choosing iPhone or eat and picking the phone, sorry no

Edited by button

3 hours ago, button said:

I would not disagree, but when you see known food bank users in the shop buying scratchcards, fags and displaying the latest iPhone, tattoos and the latest designer gear makes having sympathy quite hard, I do recognise there are genuine case who really do choose between heat or eat and we should do what we can to help but the ones that are choosing iPhone or eat and picking the phone, sorry no

Spot on - and frequently in the pubs and dining out or food deliveries. There is very little genuine hardship in this country, and I can honestly say I've never experiences it even when I dropped out as a rebellious late teen.

39 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Spot on - and frequently in the pubs and dining out or food deliveries. There is very little genuine hardship in this country, and I can honestly say I've never experiences it even when I dropped out as a rebellious late teen.

What we do have in this country is a sense of entitlement in abundance we want everything but don’t want to work for it

5 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

That will depend on your quality of living standards ask some going to food banks cant pay leky or gas i think they may dissagree with you

Does the food bank supply them with their booze and fags too  ??

Edited by Westley

2 hours ago, Westley said:

Does the food bank supply them with their booze and fags too  ??

Dont know do they as i said some do 

3 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Got to be fair Dave the world was a diffrent place back then 

On 22/07/2022 at 10:01, Mungler said:

I hope everyone caught up in a queue to France remembers that well when choosing their vacation next year. The world is a big place and we should go where we are welcomed.

We’ve just got back (ie last weekend) from Greece flying in and out of Gatwick with Easy Jet and it was without a hitch. We chose Greece back in January because the Spanish and French were displaying all the signs of being totally awkward and that’s escalated since.

Incidentally the Greeks are super keen to advance their tourist industry and capitalise on Spain’s awkward approach to covid vaccinations and Brexit, and we had an amazing time.

As above for the same reason’s and was welcomed with open arms. 

1 hour ago, crossy 666 said:

As above for the same reason’s and was welcomed with open arms. 

They have really rolled out the red carpet haven’t they, and good for them, I hope it pays dividends.

Our transfer driver was a Greek man who went to Canada to teach mathematics, met a Greek girl and then came back home to look after the elderly parents. We had a fascinating discussion (I always like to look over a fence or two and see what’s what) about the state of Canada, Jordan Peterson and finishing with how the Greeks rue the day they joined the Euro and wish they had their own currency and independence back.