Speed limiter

countryman

I read today that new cars will have a speed limiter built in, I assume that will be 70 mph then, what about those of us who like track days, I have been sceptical of internet talk about the Government slowly doing away with private cars on our roads , but we have been told we won’t be able to buy new Petrol or Diesel cars soon, it does make you wonder.

22 hours ago, old'un said:

I think a better idea would be a variable chip thingy. 

When you enter a town or restricted speed zone you won't be able to speed. 

If caught or altering it then a massive fine and ban. 

• 1 month later...

Brilliant idea surely? People can't be trusted to abide by the law so we need to make them. We have had a century of failing to behave properly. Think of the deaths we have. Surely cars should be much more tightly controlled than guns. 

I can't see how breaking the law can be justified., especially when others can be affected by cock ups. 

Yes we should deal with the drivers. I would have a minimum £1k speeding fine plus a ban. Think of the coppers we could employ if the fines were ring fenced to the police and they could then get our FAC/SGC done on time. But equally I can't see why we need anything to go over 70. Track days are like FAC shotguns. 

It's not a speed limiter in the same sense as a HGV where you cannot exceed the maximum legal speed limit (56mph). You're car will still be capable of breaking 70mph, BUT your cruise control will come with an additional function that allows you the driver to set your own speed limit, 30 in built up areas, 50 in roadworks, 70 on the motorway etc etc. Once set you drive as normal, if your concentration lapses and you don't lift off the throttle the car will simply stop accelerating at the set speed. Should you wish to override it momentarily for a quick overtake or something you simple push down a little harder and a detent switch in the throttle pedal similar to a "kickdown" switch in an auto will override the system, once you back off the throttle the system will reactivate. Trucks have been fitted with this technology for over twenty years and it's a great driving aid.

The only truly effective speed limiter is the one already fitted at the base of your right leg.

As for speed you should always drive to the conditions, the upper limit is not a target to be met, its the maximum that is considered to be safe if the conditions are exceptional, you are experienced enough and your vehicle capable of safely experiencing those speeds.

Limiting cars I think sets a dangerous precedent.

Speed limits nationally need a major overhaul with many being substantially reduced while others need increasing.

26 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

The only truly effective speed limiter is the one already fitted at the base of your right leg.

I don't agree. For example, I'm not used to driving in 20 zones and when I drive I tend to prefer looking out the windscreen rather than stare at the speedo. What I've found in the past is all the other road users including bus drivers, not responding police etc are exceeding 20 so you get drawn along and exceed the limit yourself.

My car now has a basic limiter you set yourself, it stops you accelerating over the setting but doesn't brake for you if you go down a hill and exceed the limit (it does give an audible warning). It's very handy for driving through long roadworks where the limit has been dropped from 60 to 40 and many motorists still drive at 60.

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I would suggest that if you're not able to look at the speedo and out of the window then you're driving too fast for the conditions regardless of the upper speed limit.

Not at all, probably just more honest and aware of my driving. Personally I like the option of a limiter.

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

As for speed you should always drive to the conditions, the upper limit is not a target to be met, its the maximum that is considered to be safe if the conditions are exceptional, you are experienced enough and your vehicle capable of safely experiencing those speeds.

Limiting cars I think sets a dangerous precedent.

Speed limits nationally need a major overhaul with many being substantially reduced while others need increasing.

Spot on.  The one way to limit speed is to actually have pole out in vehicles on motor cycles. way back in the 60s I was on a team of polic motor cyclists and our job was to hit areas when a local Police Chief asked for help. We would blitz a road or area and then move on with a couple of us just riding through on occasion. It was amazing how effective it was BUT when was the last time you saw a police car or motorcyclist out on the streets.

I had a feeling that this had been done before because as a teenager in the late 50s I drooled over the huge American saloons and read everyhting I could about them.

I had a quick look back and yes, Buick fitted what they called the Safety Minder in '58 which was connected to the speedometer in some way and if the car went of the set speed a loud buzzer would sound and stay on until the speed dropped below that set.  I suppose instead of a buzzer today they could have Kier Starmer giving a speech on a loop or that little fat fella from the Western Isles.

Edited by Walker570

On 22/10/2022 at 10:53, Stimo22 said:

My Ford already has this, in a 30 mph limit you can set it and it stops the car from going faster unless you disengage it or put you foot hard down. Can be handy when you have long stretch of 50 and want to stick to limit

Mine too (Dacia Duster) speed limiter and cruise control. A good part of the A470 where I travel regulary,has a 50mph speed limit imposed, but it's quite easy to go over that speed by a few mph. I set mine to 50 as soon as I hit that zone.