Todays budget

oowee

A most unusual set of proposals.

Former US Treasury secretary Larry Summers warned the pound could fall below the dollar due to the huge spending commitments outlined by Mr Kwarteng.

"It makes me very sorry to say, but I think the UK is behaving a bit like an emerging market turning itself into a submerging market," Mr Summers told Bloomberg.

"Between Brexit, how far the Bank of England got behind the curve and now these fiscal policies, I think Britain will be remembered for having pursuing the worst macroeconomic policies of any major country in a long time."

Sometimes you have to bet against the house but I just wish they were not doing it with my money.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, oowee said:

A most unusual set of proposals.

Former US Treasury secretary Larry Summers warned the pound could fall below the dollar due to the huge spending commitments outlined by Mr Kwarteng.

"It makes me very sorry to say, but I think the UK is behaving a bit like an emerging market turning itself into a submerging market," Mr Summers told Bloomberg.

"Between Brexit, how far the Bank of England got behind the curve and now these fiscal policies, I think Britain will be remembered for having pursuing the worst macroeconomic policies of any major country in a long time."

Sometimes you have to bet against the house but I just wish they were not doing it with my money.

Nor mine, FTSE 250 down 25% this year and still going down by the day.!

What everyone fails to realise (and was told to me by my late father who owned a worsted spinning mill and was taxed at 97% back in the 1960s and 1970s) is that for employed high earners tax is irrelevant and lowering it or raising makes no difference to recruiting or retaining "the best". What he said was that the you pay a man what he is worth and according to the tax he pays on what you pay him". That's to say if he is worth £100,000 a year and is taxed at 40% you pay him £170,000 and if he is taxed at 60% you pay him £220,000 or what ever the calculation is so that he takes home that £100,000.

16 minutes ago, millrace said:

So how does giving people more money at same time as saying don't spend money to prevent inflation rising a policy????

Also noted a report forecasting a emergency 1% interest rise next week......

This is only ending 1 way.......

🙂 The worst govt in the history of UK they should stand for election in Turkey?

I just don't get any of it. The stamp duty change is completely bonkers let alone the tax cuts and the NI reversal ?????

Edited by oowee

As was said on the radio today they'll all be cheering the Stamp Duty cut. Until in six months time gthey'll be squealing as the interest on their mortgage on this new purchase is now squeezing them dry. And then as the economy collapses when the six month business energy help is withdrawn they'll be ending up being repossessed. I get no joy from predicting this but I'm so glad I've only nine months left on my mortgage and eighteen months before...at age sixty-six...my state pension. AND WHERE IS THE PROMISED BREXIT ABOLITION OF VAT ON DOMESTIC FUEL?

Edited by enfieldspares

11 hours ago, oowee said:

🙂 The worst govt in the history of UK they should stand for election in Turkey?

I just don't get any of it. The stamp duty change is completely bonkers let alone the tax cuts and the NI reversal ?????

Possibly? Turkiye wouldn't entertain them following their re-branding?

10 hours ago, oowee said:

How is it going to be paid for? What note will Truss leave for the next Govt? Not only have we left nothing but we have maxed out the credit card? 

It's ok here to kick it down the road as the road is on sand anyway?

2 hours ago, Ratlegs said:

How's income tax cut going to help pensioners?????

Suppose they want to kill us all off and spend the money on boat people

He's giving all the money to the rich now they can buy more rural cottages and push local kids out

They don't want to help us ordinaires, just plunder what little is left to make their mates even wealthier it seems?

I bet the number of off shore accounts for the baksheesh to flow into has increased?

Just illustrates the level of indoctrination and stupidity to think that giving tax rebates to non payers is a way out of this mess?

Edited by old man

I think they know they are absolutely finished in the next General Election so are milking the country for what they can for the next 2 years.

Mortgage rates from high street lenders are already hitting almost 4%, if someone's fix ends this year and they re-mortgage they are going to see a significant increase in their monthly payment. 

Add onto that the additional cost of energy, of fuel, increased cost of food, the stagnation of wages, etc etc etc. 

Take an average mortgage debt of £250,000... if someone remortgaged at today's rates their monthly payment could increase by as much as £300! 

And then to polish it off they go and give people earning over £150,000 a fairly decent tax cut. 

Absolute nuts. 

It seems the reign of Tory Light under Johnson is finished. 

44 minutes ago, Hicky said:

I wonder how bad it has to get before hindsight makes voting Corbyn seem like a viable alternative to voting this cesspit of selfserving tools in?

It doesn't matter who's in opposition. once things are this bad (as they are right now) people will vote for the oppossition on the basic that it couldn't be any worse than the current lot. 

Wait until the next year or two, as people come off their fixed rate energy bills and fixed term mortgages, and come onto the new deals. There's a lot of people in that position that haven't been effected yet but the pain is on the way. 

Its beyond belief the decisions made yesterday, hard times all round, businesses going bust from energy crisis, etc, so they give people who earn over £150,000 a big tax cut. 

49 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It doesn't matter who's in opposition. once things are this bad (as they are right now) people will vote for the oppossition on the basic that it couldn't be any worse than the current lot. 

Wait until the next year or two, as people come off their fixed rate energy bills and fixed term mortgages, and come onto the new deals. There's a lot of people in that position that haven't been effected yet but the pain is on the way. 

Its beyond belief the decisions made yesterday, hard times all round, businesses going bust from energy crisis, etc, so they give people who earn over £150,000 a big tax cut. 

Agreed, I cannot imagine the logic(beyond idealistic intentions) that bailing out energy companies rather than going for public ownership wasn’t/hasn’t been considered. 
If this was another country there would be riots on the streets by now, if France it would of been 18months ago!

Bankers-no cap on wages….nurse-sod you have your minimal increase(wiped out by inflation) otherwise you’ll fuel inflation rising you peasants!

43 minutes ago, Hicky said:

Agreed, I cannot imagine the logic(beyond idealistic intentions) that bailing out energy companies rather than going for public ownership wasn’t/hasn’t been considered. 
If this was another country there would be riots on the streets by now, if France it would of been 18months ago!

Bankers-no cap on wages….nurse-sod you have your minimal increase(wiped out by inflation) otherwise you’ll fuel inflation rising you peasants!

May be interpreted by some as the start of a class war?