Royal Mail

Minky

3 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

My royal mail sorting office is open between 9-10 weekdays 9-12 saturday despite their web site stating different times

I think that's general.  Ours is the same ........ but even that isn't reliable and they can be closed when you get there.  It didn't bother me before I retired as it was a short walk from the office, but now it is an 8 mile round trip car journey.

I periodically buy second hand books via Amazon - cheap books, but not particularly cheap delivery - (£2.80 flat rate I think), but less bad value if the book is a large one.  I note that since the strikes, these now come via Hermes/Evri.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

It's a typical example of any Nationalised Industry controlled by the unions

Down here in Cornwall I get no letters for days then I get a bundle with an elastic band round them

Oh, you are lucky.

We get the letters through the letterbox and the rubber bands strewn on the drive.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

'ere, I do like these bright cheerful emails telling you that they've delivered your parcel. I just wish that they'd tell you to where as once again today it's not to the address on the parcel. Utter incompetence - and they want more money.

Our lot take a photo of the parcel on the doorstep.  I traced one of mine to a neighbour's that way.  She hadn't seen it as it was propped against the front door - which she doesn't use for regular access.

14 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Our lot take a photo of the parcel on the doorstep.  I traced one of mine to a neighbour's that way.  She hadn't seen it as it was propped against the front door - which she doesn't use for regular access.

For some reason as yet they’ve not had time to upload the photo, but I expect it to be one of their two favourites If they do actually get around to it.

I will not use RM any more apart from posting guns (no choice), they are expensive and slow as in 14 days to move a parcel 49 miles. I use DPD, sent motorcycle front forks and wheel on tuesday, they collected from my front door and delivered them next day before 12 for £13 and a few pennies, the parts are irreplacable so there's no way I'm going to trust Pat. We get loads of mail already opened as well as pages of adverts shoved through our door when Pat bothers to turn up, they are a waste of oxygen. 

DPD failed to deliver my parcel even though app stated delivery guy was around the corner. With 120 drops before mine. I phoned to find out what was going on. Told I would be upgraded to a before noon the next day. How is that an upgrade. Noon came and went. I tried phoning twice and was cut off as soon as they realised it was about non delivery.

Re Royal Mail The collection times on their website are different to the ones posted on the box. I questioned a postie about this and he said they could collect anything up to 2 hrs before the posted collection time. If they can't see the problem with that then there is no hope for them.

When i bought this house i built a porch on the front and a side garage on it .One morning i bumped into my postman  i said sorry about this i never thought about you delivering mail  at his suggestion we put a bin inside the side garage and he dropped any mail in there . Surprised as you had to walk a plank to get over the foundations and he was no youngster . Now it can be a fair few posties and a delivery can be between 9 and noon 

Again I am waiting on RM. I bought a new Crystal glass for my watch off of Ali Express in China and it has arrived but the hand press to remove the old glass and refit the new glass is  coming from Devon.  Now Devon to Kent ain't exactly down muddy tracks under fire in Ukraine.  So where is it.?  this items delivery isn't one of life and death but for goodness sake, how can an item travel from China to Kent faster than from Devon to Kent .? The stated delivery means I might not get it until Tuesday. ...  maybe.  The item was posted in devon on the 16th and so a simple small parcel could take 6 days to get from Devon to Kent.  Perhaps they should consider flagging down a passing motorist going eastbound and asking if they'd bring it in this direction and passing it on to random people.  The item would probably get here quicker and safer than with RM.  Pretty bad service.

Edited by Minky

On 24/10/2022 at 06:33, bruno22rf said:

I pay the extra and ask for anything worth stealing to be sent by DPD (not everybody is a fan but I have found them superb), there was a time when you could simply post something first class and it would arrive, without being slit open, the following day - now you have to pay a fortune and send it recorded or special delivery to even have a good chance of it getting anywhere ontime and intact. From leaving a .22lr rifle propped up against my RFD's door early one morning to watching Pat pull up in his van, walk to my door, then put a sorry you were not in note through the letterbox, I think their days are numbered. While I'm on a rant, why do they insist on shoving tons of bloody advertising leaflets through my letterbox, I've started collecting it up and once a week I put it back in the postbox.  

Pay Extra, the magic words 

11 hours ago, steve s×s said:

True, but not much and I find the extra well worth it, front motorcycle forks, yoke and wheel collected from my door and delivered next day 100 miles away for a little over £13 and a photo to show it delivered compared to RM 14 days to deliver a parcel less than 50 miles - I know where my money's going- DPD.

13 hours ago, steve s×s said:

That may work if you are sending but I've not got any control over who the sender uses.  The parcel that I am waiting for is only a small item and it is probably easier for the sender to take it in their local post office than to contact a courier to come and get it ... maybe when they are out at work or whatever.   I blame Brexit /covid/postal strikes/the way that the wind is blowing ! All I know is that the item that I am  waiting for is sat in a bin somewhere and not here.  RM have just asked the gov if they can stop Saturday service because they are millions in debt.  This is when the couriers are  delivering up to about 10pm 7 days a week.  I think that in future I will have to ask senders of stuff to not use RM  if they will.  But I have no control over who they use.

When I was an  RFD I had RM deliver a S1 pump action mossberg to the house on my right , Then they delivered a steel ammo box with explosive stickers on it full of .308 ammo to the house on my left and once they left an antique( £5,500 worth) sharps buffalo rifle imported from USA under some plywood leaning up against the side of my house , After that i had to make all deliveries a collect from depot only.

On 19/11/2022 at 11:18, wymberley said:

'ere, I do like these bright cheerful emails telling you that they've delivered your parcel. I just wish that they'd tell you to where as once again today it's not to the address on the parcel. Utter incompetence - and they want more money.

I've now spotted the email date/time/group and there's no way my locals will deliver a parcel before 7 am. I'm now wondering - and as there's no photo proof as it "hasn't yet been uploaded or it might have been deleted" of delivery - that this was just done to kid the sender that they'd complied with his paid for delivery method.