Why Couldn't She Just Answer the Question?

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll make my comment here and leave it. When I read this episode i was puzzled by the woman's name of "Fulani" as, my wife being Nigerian the Fulani is the generic name of the same Northern Nigeria tribe of historically cattle herders that President Buhari originates from. Yet her chosen given name she used is of Igbo origin. Who are Southern Nigerian.

So whilst Lady Hussey's questioning I'd agree was overly persistent it might be assumed that IF Lady Hussey also had knowledge of Nigeria and its tribal composition that she too might be confused by this seeming mix of names?

Not quite the same as someone saying their name was Hamish O'Flynn, Sinead McTavish, Mohammed Singh or in Europe maybe Heinrich Charpentier or Guiseppe Johannsson. But I think you get the picture?

Now folk can call themselves what they will and that doesn't give others an excuse to drill in to them but that does then also ask the question of Ms Fulani herself if "name appropriation" is also unacceptable?

Just the same as mockney Jamie Oliver's appropriation and adulteration of West African jollof rice and Caribbean rice and peas. My advice to Ms Fulani would be leave African names to Africans. Or at least don't get your tribes mixed!

10 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

I'll make my comment here and leave it. When I read this episode i was puzzled by the woman's name of "Fulani" as, my wife being Nigerian the Fulani is the generic name of the same Northern Nigeria tribe of historically cattle herders that President Buhari originates from. Yet her chosen given name she used is of Igbo origin. Who are Southern Nigerian.

So whilst Lady Hussey's questioning I'd agree was overly persistent it might be assumed that IF Lady Hussey also had knowledge of Nigeria and its tribal composition that she too might be confused by this seeming mix of names?

Not quite the same as someone saying their name was Hamish O'Flynn, Sinead McTavish, Mohammed Singh or in Europe maybe Heinrich Charpentier or Guiseppe Johannsson. But I think you get the picture?

Now folk can call themselves what they will and that doesn't give others an excuse to drill in to them but that does then also ask the question of Ms Fulani herself if "name appropriation" is also unacceptable?

Just the same as mockney Jamie Oliver's appropriation and adulteration of West African jollof rice and Caribbean rice and peas. My advice to Ms Fulani would be leave African names to Africans. Or at least don't get your tribes mixed!

An excellent analysis

I saw this on Facebook.

Graeme Wright  · 

· 

So went into a Wetherspoons in Newcastle yesterday ordered a pint and the bar member said to me " Oooh you aren't from around here where are you from? " I replied in my cockney accent " I'm from Mansfield " she shook her head and said " No where are you really from? " once again I replied " I'm from Mansfield " looking baffled she then said " You've got a cockney accent though you can't be from Mansfield " to which I replied " I'm originally from London and now live in Mansfield "....
The reason I've posted this is because unlike Ngozi Fulani I didn't decide to go to somewhere that I've never been before wearing something from my neck of woods like a pearly king suit and then take offence to someone asking me where I was from! Unlike Ngozi Fulani I didn't wear a microphone under my pearly king suit hoping against hope that I could catch a Wetherspoons bar member asking me where I was from so I could run to the media and say that I've been victimised and am now emotionally broken! Unlike Ngozi Fulani I didn't care less that someone asked me on more than one occasion where I was from and would have expected even more questions if I'd strolled into a Newcastle Wetherspoons wearing something from my neck of the woods which made me stand out like a sore thumb!
Ngozi Fulani isn't a victim she doesn't deserve an apology and she certainly doesn't have the right to dictate what is and isn't allowed to be asked. Shes just a woman who decided to go somewhere dressed in a manner which was always going to instigate numerous questions in the hope it gained her a little bit more notoriety and further inflate her already over inflated ego! It's people like Ngozi who are the real problems in society nowadays because it's people like her who are trying their level best to eradicate the art of conversation by creating a sense of fear about what questions can and can't be asked.
So my message to Ngozi and all the rest of you out there who are permanently offended by being asked pertinent questions is simply this. Don't try becoming notorious by dressing in a certain manner! Don't try becoming notorious by standing out in a crowd! Don't try becoming notorious by having strong views and opinions about everything and anything! Don't try becoming notorious by alienating certain sectors of society! If you do none of the above it's more than likely that you'll never be asked any kind of question which means that you'll never be offended. But if you continue to choose to do all of the above might I suggest that it's time that you grew a backbone and started expecting questions instead of acting like immature children who've just found out that Santa and the Easter Bunny don't exist and that putting rose petals into a bottle of water doesn't make it perfume....

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

I saw this on Facebook.

Graeme Wright  · 

· 

So went into a Wetherspoons in Newcastle yesterday ordered a pint and the bar member said to me " Oooh you aren't from around here where are you from? " I replied in my cockney accent " I'm from Mansfield " she shook her head and said " No where are you really from? " once again I replied " I'm from Mansfield " looking baffled she then said " You've got a cockney accent though you can't be from Mansfield " to which I replied " I'm originally from London and now live in Mansfield "....
The reason I've posted this is because unlike Ngozi Fulani I didn't decide to go to somewhere that I've never been before wearing something from my neck of woods like a pearly king suit and then take offence to someone asking me where I was from! Unlike Ngozi Fulani I didn't wear a microphone under my pearly king suit hoping against hope that I could catch a Wetherspoons bar member asking me where I was from so I could run to the media and say that I've been victimised and am now emotionally broken! Unlike Ngozi Fulani I didn't care less that someone asked me on more than one occasion where I was from and would have expected even more questions if I'd strolled into a Newcastle Wetherspoons wearing something from my neck of the woods which made me stand out like a sore thumb!
Ngozi Fulani isn't a victim she doesn't deserve an apology and she certainly doesn't have the right to dictate what is and isn't allowed to be asked. Shes just a woman who decided to go somewhere dressed in a manner which was always going to instigate numerous questions in the hope it gained her a little bit more notoriety and further inflate her already over inflated ego! It's people like Ngozi who are the real problems in society nowadays because it's people like her who are trying their level best to eradicate the art of conversation by creating a sense of fear about what questions can and can't be asked.
So my message to Ngozi and all the rest of you out there who are permanently offended by being asked pertinent questions is simply this. Don't try becoming notorious by dressing in a certain manner! Don't try becoming notorious by standing out in a crowd! Don't try becoming notorious by having strong views and opinions about everything and anything! Don't try becoming notorious by alienating certain sectors of society! If you do none of the above it's more than likely that you'll never be asked any kind of question which means that you'll never be offended. But if you continue to choose to do all of the above might I suggest that it's time that you grew a backbone and started expecting questions instead of acting like immature children who've just found out that Santa and the Easter Bunny don't exist and that putting rose petals into a bottle of water doesn't make it perfume....

I agree with almost all of that, but come on Santa and the Easter Bunny are real.

I am fascinated by accents especially in the UK as there is so many, I've spoken to people from Canada,  America and all over not once has anyone been offended by me asking were they are from infact they are happy to discuss were they are from and how they ended up in the UK. 

4 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Also the Fulani are Muslim are they not?

When she describes herself as a devout Christian.  Strange woman

Yes Fulani are indeed mostly muslim. The whole outfit and it's wrong maybe to criticise just looks odd. Sorry. And unfairly critical. But it's like wearing lederhosen with a sporran and French beret to my mind. If you're happy with it fine. But it it then provokes enquiry? Anyway here's someone making a better effort at wearing traditional "African" (Nigeria) attire than did some others.

FEB2012.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares

Lady H apologised other day. Was she made to? Was on lunch time news briefly (with pics) so not private that they met a the palace. Shame! Strange it was not on later or other news either. Lot of folk, women of African origin have called her and "her" charity out. Staff/spending seem to be family. Refusing to help mixed race ("privileged") women. Interesting she has links to Megan Markle (same high end photographer), and BLM funding. On go dispute with Hackney Council over charity shop/building space they had provided for FREE! Friend of that well known political mathematician Diane Abbot MP. Palace thing was at start of 16 days of planed activism she just happened to be recording. Like we all would. NOT!    NB 

4 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Lady H apologised other day. Was she made to? Was on lunch time news briefly (with pics) so not private that they met a the palace. Shame! Strange it was not on later or other news either. Lot of folk, women of African origin have called her and "her" charity out. Staff/spending seem to be family. Refusing to help mixed race ("privileged") women. Interesting she has links to Megan Markle (same high end photographer), and BLM funding. On go dispute with Hackney Council over charity shop/building space they had provided for FREE! Friend of that well known political mathematician Diane Abbot MP. Palace thing was at start of 16 days of planed activism she just happened to be recording. Like we all would. NOT!    NB 

She has had a shed load of money from Comic Relief apparently as well. So I for one will not be giving any more money to comic relief 

On 19/12/2022 at 11:51, enfieldspares said:

I've seen this on another website, you aren't called Ken are you?

Also my name (Gaelic) means follower of St Columba, and I'm not nor am I Irish.

Edited by henry d

On 21/12/2022 at 08:54, henry d said:

I've seen this on another website, you aren't called Ken are you?

Also my name (Gaelic) means follower of St Columba, and I'm not nor am I Irish.

So where do you originate from? with such mixed messages coming from your avatar and forum name I have often wondered.

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

So where do you originate from?

Ultimately Africa, like all of us, but beyond that the NE of England. No idea on my dad's side previous to the 30's but same town as far back as the mid 19th C on my mother's side. So that is that familial context but I lived in the NE for 15 of my first 18 years with the others in London ish from a toddler to 4. Then 12 years travelling the world in the forces and occasionally returning to our home in Cornwall, 30 years in C Scotland and a couple back in the NE of England. 

And you?

15 minutes ago, henry d said:

Ultimately Africa, like all of us, but beyond that the NE of England. No idea on my dad's side previous to the 30's but same town as far back as the mid 19th C on my mother's side. So that is that familial context but I lived in the NE for 15 of my first 18 years with the others in London ish from a toddler to 4. Then 12 years travelling the world in the forces and occasionally returning to our home in Cornwall, 30 years in C Scotland and a couple back in the NE of England. 

And you?

A simple town or country would have been OK  but as usual your answer is full of riddle and deflection.

10 minutes ago, henry d said:

Ultimately Africa, like all of us

How evolutionary , Im surprised you didnt say the garden of Eden 😄

Joking apart, I have a mixed race friend (white Irish mother , Caribbean father) who has a peculiar fascination with Africa.
He refers to them as 'My people' despite never having been to Africa , the Caribbean , or indeed Ireland ?

I try to point out the huge differences within the continent of Africa, and the various tribes and cultures they encompass, he says they are ALL my people.
Hes either on a massive virtue signal, or is clearly going a bit doo lally, its a bit odd why he doesnt choose to embrace the white side of his ancestry ?

Anyway Ive told him to get over there, and 'embrace' the culture of all of 'his' people , but dont carry any cash or jewellery :lol:

55 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

A simple town or country would have been OK  but as usual your answer is full of riddle and deflection.

No that's my life in a nutshell, and I think the NE of England is a bit of a give away as to which country I was born in.

Each has some affect on who I am and I'm not going to put up my birth town, mother's maiden name etc on the Internet. My details on Facebook have nothing to do with anything I have done in life to stop anyone hacking or cloning me. 

And where are you really from, no really from..?

2 hours ago, henry d said:

And you?

How do you know we're not all from outer space, with life arriving here from a meteorite? But then what relevance does that have to the question where are you from, I would suggest the answer to that question is where you were born. But then you're not one to always give sensible answers. 

Edited by 12gauge82