What country

scouser

12 minutes ago, scouser said:

What sort of country do we live in when all of the MOST IMPORTANT services that we all relay on need to strike, the are more important than a few points in the measure of inflation, it’s a different story when the banks needed bailout.

One causes inconvenience. The other if not applied, causes the collapse of society. 

It’s not as black&white as people seem to believe. 

Hello, all inflation busting pay rises it is the consumer that has to pay more for services, Example, Train strikes , higher salaries equal higher fares so less people will travel by train,  so less people will be needed to run train services so many made redundant, do they get free travel 🤔

23 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

do they get free travel 🤔

People on the old national rail contracts get free travel I believe, other ones get discounted travel, and free travel if on their own franchise trains - this is from what I can gather from my brother who is a driver manager for Northern

9 minutes ago, discobob said:

People on the old national rail contracts get free travel I believe, other ones get discounted travel, and free travel if on their own franchise trains - this is from what I can gather from my brother who is a driver manager for Northern

Seems to be a lot of people getting free travel on our local trains. I can not remember when I was last asked to show my ticket.

2 hours ago, scouser said:

What sort of country do we live in when all of the MOST IMPORTANT services that we all relay on need to strike, the are more important than a few points in the measure of inflation, it’s a different story when the banks needed bailout.

They don't need to strike, but want too. The starting wage is around the average pay for a UK worker. Then rises the more years they do. So why are senior nurses striking for more money. Just like train drivers on 60k striking for more money. It never stops as the unions just think the government is a bottomless pit with no other considerations other than pay. People always want more no matter what they have.

3 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

They don't need to strike, but want too. The starting wage is around the average pay for a UK worker. Then rises the more years they do. So why are senior nurses striking for more money. Just like train drivers on 60k striking for more money. It never stops as the unions just think the government is a bottomless pit with no other considerations other than pay. People always want more no matter what they have.

No no no, these people are only striking for better conditions, they don't care about the pay rise.

I should add for the right money they will ignore the conditions and get back to work, until they decide they want more.

But does striking solve anything ? the posties are striking thursday & friday then delivering mail Saturday & Sunday being paid overtime for the wages they lost . I thought they just wanted long weekends off ?.

But they get there wish more money then cost rise the producers put there prices up everybody is back in the same boat ?.

47 minutes ago, clangerman said:

we clapped we owe if not don’t accept treatment from nurses who risked their lives and shame on anyone who’s not grateful for their sacrifice 

What about all the other people who have risked their lives for their country. Do they not deserve to be treated on the days of these strikes. Shame on those who don't think that they should.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

we clapped we owe if not don’t accept treatment from nurses who risked their lives and shame on anyone who’s not grateful for their sacrifice 

1 hour ago, Newbie to this said:

you do come up with some belters

4 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

That’s a very polite way of putting it. 

Gordon Bennett will be along shortly to pass comment !

Edited by JKD

Good luck to them, I hope they get a big pay rise. It's easy to criticize but with inflation at 10+%, mortgages going up by about 250+ a month, rent by the same if not more, gas and electric, food and everything else plus Mr Kahns extended ulez so everyone outside central London who drives an old banger because that's all they can afford now has to find thousands to get a compliant car on top of all the above...

It's nearly 2023 and we have people in full time work relying on food banks to get by... What is wrong with asking for enough to get by? I'd love for an MP to get by doing a nurses job on nurses money. Why do we have 16+ hour waits in a&e? It's because you can earn more stacking shelves in Tesco than training for 3 years to be a nurse.

I know it's not all black and white but no one wants to strike, most people do simply because they can't make ends meet. I know cos I'm in the same boat.

Bear in mind that the mid range to senior nurses are asking for a pay rise per annuum of as much or more than many of their patients get as a pension.

Based on an average for basic grade qualified nurse of £33k plus pa, 19% is circa £6500  -  my state pension is with full entitlement is circa £6500.

Whilst I admit that a cost of living rise should be considered it is half what they are asking for, or should I say demanding. 

That's the point though, ask for 19, they will never offer it, you'll hopefully get an offer of 9 or 10% then everyone wins. No one should lose out because the cost of living is ridiculous, no one who works should be in poverty.

Do pensioners still get the triple lock? So a rise based on inflation or has that been stopped? Surely if all these industries are asking for the same thing then alarm bells must be ringing somewhere. 

9 minutes ago, Lsto said:

Do pensioners still get the triple lock?

Yes but recently many trades union people and Leiboor MPs where touting for it to be abolished.  Mind you most of the strikers would laugh in your face if you offered a £700 pa pay rise.

Whilst on the subject IIRC the NHS are one of the few bodies still on final salary pensions index linked.

9 minutes ago, Lsto said:

Surely if all these industries are asking for the same thing then alarm bells must be ringing somewhere. 

Yes all state or recently privatised monopolies with large trade unions trying to bring down the government so they can control the left wing government they hope will replace them. 

Edited by Yellow Bear

My friend  is a train driver in a £800,000 house but striking . 

A few of my mates are nurses with £4-500,000 houses and nice cars 

my close mate is a paramedic with a nice new house , car , motorcycles, 2-3 holidays abroad each year, goes to festivals/gigs/nights out. 
all the above get pensions etc .

im self employed, work 50-90 hours a week, I’m knackered and hurt at night . No pension no holiday pay etc . 
I understand the worlds a mess . 

The other day I had a rep ask me how I’m doing ? 
I said I’m great thanks . Wonderful girlfriend, food in my belly , warm bed at night . What more could I want . 
a lad next to me in his 20s said “ I want more than that out of my life “ 

I enjoy the simple things . 

Edited by team tractor

The unions wind the workers up by persistently telling them they deserve a huge pay increase. Within a short time they have created a sense of grievance and the workers start feeling they are entitled to it and are willing to go on strike to get it.

Classic left wing tactic, create a problem where there wasn't one before.