Is it April 1st

islandgun

i find this strange.............i heard maybe over 10 years ago there was a report from BAS (antartic survey) that the ozone hole was getting smaller quite quickly...there are seasonal variations....but it has been getting smaller for quite some while...............

1 hour ago, Scully said:

How do we know the ozone layer doesn’t grow and shrink on a regular basis? It’s not like we’ve had for a long time the technology to actually ‘see’ or study it. 

as with everything.......its all mixed up with half truths ...myths....political lies....fact....and poor science....bad reporting.....................

my god :w00t:..........am i talking about covid-19...and the new variant called Kraken...............................no no no nooo....im talking about the ozone hole....oh dear i had a little mental "leg gas" just now ....im alright now tho 

carry on /...as you were:crazy:

Edited by ditchman

1 minute ago, 39TDS said:

Why is it a surprise it is healing?

It was certain chemicals causing the damage and the world agreed to stop making those chemicals.

As a result the damage is slowly repairing, that's good news isn't it?

It is excellent news and just shows what can be done with a little bit of common sense.

40 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

It was certain chemicals causing the damage and the world agreed to stop making those chemicals.

you are quite right..:good:.............the "surprise" is people think this is breaking news....which is rubbish.....when the ban came in on CFC's.....within a couple of years a slight difference was seen.....that was good science and good result

there are a alot of people in this world who will politicalsise the act/results/science....and scew it to advantage their agenda.....and usually their agenda is not to our advantage.........

good result on the ozone hole.....................thats how i like my science ...so i can understand it.............but when its mixed up with politics...it makes me cynical

:good:

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

As far as I’m aware cfc gases are still used in refrigeration and air conditioning, also in the aeroplane industry, and also in the building trade in such products as expanding foam aerosols etc, although we did start to use a non-cfc gas foam latterly in our eco builds, but only if the client specified it. 

11 hours ago, Scully said:

As far as I’m aware cfc gases are still used in refrigeration and air conditioning, also in the aeroplane industry, and also in the building trade in such products as expanding foam aerosols etc, although we did start to use a non-cfc gas foam latterly in our eco builds, but only if the client specified it. 

Cfc's are still used but nowhere near as much as they used to be.   Aerosols were powered by them routinely.   Now they are not.   Fire extinguishers use them but not the ones used for practice these days.   Sensible controls agreed by the worlds nations and abided by has produced a great result.

18 hours ago, ditchman said:

i find this strange.............i heard maybe over 10 years ago there was a report from BAS (antartic survey) that the ozone hole was getting smaller quite quickly...there are seasonal variations....but it has been getting smaller for quite some while...............

Ha ha my bad, Up to now, I assumed the hole in the ozone was our main problem, causing the icecaps to melt and the climate to warm, I now see that was a mistake, back to school for me..😉

6 hours ago, Grandalf said:

Cfc's are still used but nowhere near as much as they used to be.   Aerosols were powered by them routinely.   Now they are not.   Fire extinguishers use them but not the ones used for practice these days.   Sensible controls agreed by the worlds nations and abided by has produced a great result.

There are still some very toxic substances in aerosols, all harmful to humans and the environment; I suppose much depends on whether you buy into the entire man made climate change agenda really. 

On 09/01/2023 at 20:33, islandgun said:

They are claiming victory after years of the hole being bigger and now apparently shrinking based on 2 years of measureable shrinkage and thereafter modelling.

Less CFC's etc is certainly helpful but will not close up the hole as other factors are involved.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-05449-8

On 10/01/2023 at 19:09, Scully said:

How do we know the ozone layer doesn’t grow and shrink on a regular basis? It’s not like we’ve had for a long time the technology to actually ‘see’ or study it. 

Nail... Hit... On head...

How about the fact it's getting smaller means the world is in fact heating.... 

On 10/01/2023 at 20:25, 39TDS said:

Media told us this .. where is the fact that it was what you have been lead to believe?!?!

On 11/01/2023 at 15:26, Scully said:

There are still some very toxic substances in aerosols, all harmful to humans and the environment; I suppose much depends on whether you buy into the entire man made climate change agenda really. 

Scully,   There is only one thing wrong with this planet.   One species is out of control and far too numerous.   If it was any other species we would be out with the traps and poisons.  (No I am not suggesting a mass cull of humans - Just sensible use of birth control).