Strikes......

ditchman

ive been watching all this unrest of recent............some days im for the strikers and some days im against them............im all of a quandry..........

i get the feeling that somewhere up the road we are going to be looking at a General Strike nationwide................some of the strikers are earning decent money but the thing is they have to work all bloody hours to do so .........which is not right

the strikers have seen in recent years the thousands of millions being thrown at Corvid-19....furlow.....tax relief etc......etc,,,,,etc,,,,,,,

the repeating complaint (which i can well understand)....is that over half of their salaries are going on accomadation.......this is just so not right......and things in Ukraine have made things worse........and to add to that the price of gas is now cheaper /therm on the world market than before the Ukraine invasion...(there are reasons for this.....but it is difficult for the strikers to accept this)

The govt' appears to be dragging their heels on coming to an agreement on pay....and are hoping the strikers will be forced to back down and go back to full work.............i dont rekon they are going to back down

i think there is going to be a big reset..........i used to love going to work up to the mid to late 80's....i did lots of exciting stuff ..had a good laugh with my mates and the harder i worked the more money i got....rent and mortgages wernt an enormous issue and i had money to live ...support my family pay the bills and not go cold during the winter........

so i rekon there is going to be a big reset as a result of a vicous general strike............

these are my rambling thoughts.............

the present situation cannot go on.....something has got to give........................what say you ?????

More and more people are being impacted by rising costs and there’s only so much they can flex or lower their quality of living… 

There’s a lot of money out there in the hands of a very select few. 

Im all for rewarding the leaders and innovators but CEO wages now are significantly higher than ever before and I’m just not sure how things can carry on… 

The real question however is, where is all that wealthy actually concentrated, and what would a “great reset” even look like … 

It was on the news yesterday a big energy firm saying the current prices of energy are here to stay and won’t go back to pre-Ukraine war levels … whilst noting that their profits have gone from £6BILLION to something like £19Billion in a single year… 

Does one single company really need to be making £19Billion in a single year and yet claim they can’t put the prices down in a market that is very much fixed amongst all the providers… 

agree with what you say lloyd90................."the people" are (and to a certain extent have always been).....very savy on what is going on in the world.....and more so now with 24 hour news / information updates..............and govts are having more of a problem keeping folk in the dark......the mushroom syndrome is not working anymore....

folk are not into religion like how they used to be................when you are on this earth ....its a one shot deal......there is no "afterlife".....this is it folks so make the most of it

in feudal times religion was the aristo's best friend......cause you could kick to death the serfs....cause they knew in the afterlife they would have everything  and they would sleep on clouds and be warm and healthy have many beutiful children and a beutiful wife.............

that dont wash anymore...:lol:

just look at the congregation at xmas mass...............packed house....then you dont see them for the rest of the year.....they treat it like a visit to an amusment park

Of course we could always give in to these strikers and pay them what they want, and the government could just raise taxes to cover the extra billions being spent, not to worry though all of us in the private sector will work a bit harder.

As for royal mail, they are private now, but the unions still have the public sector mentality, let them thrash it out, royal mail are just digging their own demise.

This is the unions trying to bring about the fall of a government, a democratically elected government.

4 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Of course we could always give in to these strikers and pay them what they want, and the government could just raise taxes to cover the extra billions being spent, not to worry though all of us in the private sector will work a bit harder.

As for royal mail, they are private now, but the unions still have the public sector mentality, let them thrash it out, royal mail are just digging their own demise.

This is the unions trying to bring about the fall of a government, a democratically elected government.

Welsh I ain’t going to pick a fight with a mod but if the pay and jobs are so good why can’t we fill vacancies in nursing, teaching and public sector ?

Somebody has to do the dirty work of wiping seniors ***** when they have had an accident in the hospital bed ! Someone got to empty a bin. 

who else is going to fight our corner if not the unions ? 

the nurses are not the problem with the nhs, 

Agriv8

23 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Welsh I ain’t going to pick a fight with a mod but if the pay and jobs are so good why can’t we fill vacancies in nursing, teaching and public sector ?

Somebody has to do the dirty work of wiping seniors ***** when they have had an accident in the hospital bed ! Someone got to empty a bin. 

who else is going to fight our corner if not the unions ? 

the nurses are not the problem with the nhs, 

Agriv8

Nurses and teachers do ok compared to a lot out there in the private sector, good pensions and sick pay, ask a senior nurse about her NHS gold plated pension and when she can retire,

My niece has just qualified as a teacher, she is happy with the pay and pension she is getting, my bil was a plaster tech in a general hospital, the girl who worked with him regularly took 3 months off sick on full pay, he said she worked less than she was sick while he was there for 5 years.

And usually it's not a nurse that wipes the arse ,it's one of the team of carers employed to do the menial stuff,and emptying the bins is cleaning staff.

Unions are not fighting for their members they are trying to bring a government to its knees because labour have been so rubbish at the ballot box.

Welsh 1 is probably right about these unions, but I believe the strikers are also right and the private sector also need to see a large increase. Whilst private and public sector employees are having a bun fight, the elites in society are laughing all the way to the bank. Ditchy is right things need to change. 

I was going foxing on Monday night about 11 when I was stopped in the lane leading to the farm I was turned around by the police there was RTA all he said I went back that way in the morning and this is what's left of the RTA  I just hope all involved don't go on strike and they are worth every penny they earn imo and more 

20230117_083754.jpg

20230117_083738.jpg

Edited by Rim Fire

7 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Nurses and teachers do ok compared to a lot out there in the private sector, good pensions and sick pay, ask a senior nurse about her NHS gold plated pension and when she can retire,

My niece has just qualified as a teacher, she is happy with the pay and pension she is getting, my bil was a plaster tech in a general hospital, the girl who worked with him regularly took 3 months off sick on full pay, he said she worked less than she was sick while he was there for 5 years.

And usually it's not a nurse that wipes the **** ,it's one of the team of carers employed to do the menial stuff,and emptying the bins is cleaning staff.

Unions are not fighting for their members they are trying to bring a government to its knees because labour have been so rubbish at the ballot box.

Welsh 1 So why are there 40,000 nursing positions waiting to be filled ? If the pay and pensions and work is so good? Why arnt all the people in the private sector moving into these free jobs ?

teaching again good pay and pensions yet teachers leaving in big numbers and struggling to fill positions !

Yes the union want to bring down the Conservative government it’s the left vs the right it’s the way the politics work.

Agriv8 

10 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Good post 👍

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Good post 👍

Most of the union's have always been in bed with the Labour party, at one time you could not get a job in some industries unless you joined a Union, fast forward today like I mentioned before there are millions of hard working people in uk who cannot go on strike and they have to pay their bills and way of life, reminds me of a union leader shout come on lads every body out, while he still got paid 🤔

21 minutes ago, RCB56 said:

Just a thought. Do the union officials give their salaries to charity while their striking members receiving NO pay are on strike or just keep it.

Hello, most unlikely , I've known people go from the shop floor to a Union job just to avoid no pay strikes , Google Mick Lynches salary 🤔

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Welsh 1 So why are there 40,000 nursing positions waiting to be filled ? If the pay and pensions and work is so good? Why arnt all the people in the private sector moving into these free jobs ?

teaching again good pay and pensions yet teachers leaving in big numbers and struggling to fill positions !

Yes the union want to bring down the Conservative government it’s the left vs the right it’s the way the politics work.

Agriv8 

Could it be that people simply don't want to be teachers or nurses?
I know i wouldn't. I like the Engineering world.

3 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Welsh 1 So why are there 40,000 nursing positions waiting to be filled ? If the pay and pensions and work is so good? Why arnt all the people in the private sector moving into these free jobs ?     As with Doctors there is a shortage of uni places for training - B Liars uni for all and freeing up the unis meant that they reduced "expensive" courses in favour of easy cheap ones to get more students in.  You still have to fight for a scientific or medic place despite what the government has  tried to do

teaching again good pay and pensions yet teachers leaving in big numbers and struggling to fill positions !   -  Mainly due to the way the unions and chattering classes have decreed teaching must be carried out.

Agriv8 

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

Could it be that people simply don't want to be teachers or nurses?
I know i wouldn't. I like the Engineering world.

i would never chose teaching as a trade.....you have no control over the class.................nursing is not as bad as it was......all the dirty stuff is done by nursing assistants....the nurses seem to do all the tech stuff .....

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i would never chose teaching as a trade.....you have no control over the class.................nursing is not as bad as it was......all the dirty stuff is done by nursing assistants....the nurses seem to do all the tech stuff .....

I was asked to teach in the college and I e thought about it . I think I’d be arrested if I was spoken to like they do tho 😂
my partner is looking at paramedics . She’d get a good pay rise if she did but she’s only working 7-5 currently and home for 6 . I can see the negatives but most are aware of the pay and conditions when they join .

42 minutes ago, old man said:

Could it simply be that people are finally becoming sick of being ignored, treated like dirt and have decided enough is enough? The final farce brought about by Truss and Kwarteng urinating on their chips?

Actually Kwarteng's budget was text book brilliant as an exercise in what needs to be done to sort out the economy.

The fact that the big financial institutions wouldn't go along with it speaks volumes about what their motives and priorities are. 

It shows that the Government, any Gpvernment, hasn't the clout to make the rules

40,000 nursing posts....

Well....I think back in Tony Blair's days they decided that to be an Registered Nurse you needed to do a university degree - for a caring profession.  At a single stroke they wiped out all the foot-soldier staff  nurses, never going to be rocket scientists perhaps but none the less could be trained even without a degree to deliver patient care.   Yes, of course we also need highly trained nurses too and perhaps the Uni degree would be suitable for the academically orientated.

The government used to pay for the Uni training - they scrapped that in, IIRC, the 2017/2018 intake so then trainee nurses have to pay the fees and living costs for the three years themselves - the study and work placements are often concurrent and its brutal.  I shared an apartment with a student nurse who was going through Kings College London nursing course and saw it 1st hand and proof-read  most of the essays.   Some of the subject tasks were utter drivel - padding for something that could have been easily completed in 2 years. 

So a tough 3 year degree course, which you have to  pay for that ends up in an underpaid, high commitment job with 24x7x365 12 hour shifts - and a big debt for the course and living expenses.   The wonderful NHS Final Salary pensions ended in 1995..........its not very appealing is it? 

30 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Actually Kwarteng's budget was text book brilliant as an exercise in what needs to be done to sort out the economy.

The fact that the big financial institutions wouldn't go along with it speaks volumes about what their motives and priorities are. 

It shows that the Government, any Gpvernment, hasn't the clout to make the rules

Bullseye!!!

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

I rake your point Vince but not sure this will play out as you think?

It maybe illustrates what happens when a government has given away all control of everything (utilities) and the populace is finally not best pleased?

1 hour ago, Cosmicblue said:

40,000 nursing posts....

Well....I think back in Tony Blair's days they decided that to be an Registered Nurse you needed to do a university degree - for a caring profession.  At a single stroke they wiped out all the foot-soldier staff  nurses, never going to be rocket scientists perhaps but none the less could be trained even without a degree to deliver patient care.   Yes, of course we also need highly trained nurses too and perhaps the Uni degree would be suitable for the academically orientated.

The government used to pay for the Uni training - they scrapped that in, IIRC, the 2017/2018 intake so then trainee nurses have to pay the fees and living costs for the three years themselves - the study and work placements are often concurrent and its brutal.  I shared an apartment with a student nurse who was going through Kings College London nursing course and saw it 1st hand and proof-read  most of the essays.   Some of the subject tasks were utter drivel - padding for something that could have been easily completed in 2 years. 

So a tough 3 year degree course, which you have to  pay for that ends up in an underpaid, high commitment job with 24x7x365 12 hour shifts - and a big debt for the course and living expenses.   The wonderful NHS Final Salary pensions ended in 1995..........its not very appealing is it? 

Exactly right!

Before they made nursing a degree course the student nurses were used as cheap labour on the wards while they trained. But they saw a lot and learned a lot as they went along that proved invaluable.

In those days every hospital had its own nurses school and nurses home.

Now we don't train a fraction of the nurses we need to replace the ones who retire or leave for other reasons.

Instead we rely on getting nurses from all over the world despite the fact that many of them have qualifications well below the standard of the British nurses

To be fair Vince - the student nurse I shared the apartment with was native Chinese (has UK Citizenship), nursing was a second career have undertaken a a degree in Furniture Design in China and then a successful sales job there.  She graduated from Kings College with a 1st and her first job was as an RN in Cardio-Thoracic Critical Care - 4 years later, back end of last year she was promoted to a junior sister (Band6).   Breed rocket-scientists and that's what you get - the down side is that most don't want the hum-drum boring nursing roles and have a preference for the specialities.