Prostate

Neverforget

10 hours ago, Humblepie said:

It’s a tough decision but think you have made the right choice. Success rates from the op are very high, so good luck mate. Talking about it with people who have been through the whole process, regardless of the choice of treatment is definitely the right thing to do.

Thanks for your assurance. This thread has been very supportive.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

I've just gad a bowel cancer test kit. 

How are you supposed to drop a sample in that little pot. ???

Defo a gloves jobby. 

Hello, the new test kits are very easy , put enough  tissue in the pan to catch some poo, take a smear on the stick, enclose in tube, write details and post, 👍

One of our beating team just started the daily targeted beam treatment last  after getting this picked up nice and early via a psa test done while having blood checked for something else !

If you notice your pee habits change or you’re over 50 talk to doctor and ask about psa test - get your cholesterol done as well.

Agriv8 

Edited by Agriv8

I too have prostate cancer except that mine's not contained. I woke in the night of 23rd December 2021 with agonising back spasms. The duty GP was a young locum who prescribed pain meds etc and made an appointment for me the following Friday at which she took blood. It was New Year weekend so on the Tuesday she rang at 8 am to tell me my PSA was 2,293 and explained that she was setting up for me to see the right people at Cheltenham hospital. I've no doubt she was 99% certain I had cancer and that it had migrated to the base of my spine. The Urologist confirmed this with a bone scan and started hormone treatment immediately. He also referred my case to oncology. No surgery and no radio, just straight in to chemo for 18 weeks. I had a call from the oncologist in early September to say my levels were going the right way and he'd see me in November. My last blood test was November the 9th and my PSA was down to 8.4. He told me to relax and enjoy Christmas and he'd see me again in 6 months and that if the PSA was creeping up again at that time there were several options he could choose from to keep it at bay.

I'm lucky to have Cheltenham General which is probably the best cancer hospital in the west of England.

One thing to keep in mind boys; prostate cancer is hereditary. It wasn't what actually killed my father but he always had a damp patch on his fly so it's 10:1 he had it.  I have 3 sons and they've all been nagged and will go on being nagged because even if they're clear now it's handy to have a benchmark for their individual healthy PSA levels.

I would keep nagging all my friends from the age of 40 to keep requesting a psa test annually,but that doesn’t mean anything if their GP don’t engage with them??I sat facing my consultant 8 months after my surgery telling him that 3 of my friends had asked for psa tests and told they weren’t showing any symptoms he suddenly stood up said excuse me throwing his pen across his table saying this is what ****** him off they (GP) don’t sit here on a daily bases dealing with men who are going to die becauase  they hadn’t been tested in time

Last time I had a blood test, I asked for a PSA test as well. The doctor appeared, not exactly against it, but didn't appear overly pleased. Anyway the results indicated a score of below 1. The doctor suggested that with a score so low, it was unlikely I would ever have cancer. I was mightily relieved, I can tell you. 

1 hour ago, semi-auto said:

Last time I had a blood test, I asked for a PSA test as well. The doctor appeared, not exactly against it, but didn't appear overly pleased. Anyway the results indicated a score of below 1. The doctor suggested that with a score so low, it was unlikely I would ever have cancer. I was mightily relieved, I can tell you. 

Your doctor's confidence is misplaced I'm afraid. I know a guy with PC who's normal level was 0.2.

The last year has taught me that most GPs know next to nothing about PC and the treatment regimes, so keep insisting on annual testing and always bear in mind that it's often hereditary.

• 4 weeks later...

Had full bloods including psa done last week. This thread was the kick up the bum I needed to have a bit of an overhaul/mot so thanks chaps. Pleased to say everything came back normal other than two slightly raised levels put down to me being a smoker. 

On 28/02/2023 at 11:32, Spr1985 said:

Had full bloods including psa done last week. This thread was the kick up the bum I needed to have a bit of an overhaul/mot so thanks chaps. Pleased to say everything came back normal other than two slightly raised levels put down to me being a smoker. 

Glad it kicked you, I’ve had 8 work colleagues have tests in the last 3 weeks through bugging them

i can’t and won’t stop till the day I die long time hopefully 

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2023 at 17:40, Neverforget said:

Well tomorrow morning I go into hospital to have an small operation, they have found two anomalies on the prostate and want to hopefully rule anything bad out 😂😂

keep checking guys it’s worth it

Let us know the outcome. There are so many new treatments coming on stream that we men don't need to live in fear.

Just now, Westward said:

we men don't need to live in fear.

That's true. 

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer when in his 60s and was told he would most probably die with it and not from it.  It proved quite true and he died at 87 from heart issues - no contribution from prostate at all.

• 2 months later...

Morning guys 

just a quick update, I had scans for bone cancer as the surgeon was a little concerned with a problem in my hips

this has come back clear thank the lord, I’ve opted for the removal off the prostate this happens on the 28th off June, please please keep getting checked, the mother-in-law yesterday had bladder cancer removed (85) this disease has no conscience and takes everyone in it’s path 

don’t be shy and leave ya pride at the surgery door you won’t regret it 

Thank you for the update and good luck with the op.

I have an annual health 'MoT' mainly because for blood pressure reasons I take statins and BP reducing medications - but PSA is one of the 'additional' tests I have added as my father had prostate cancer (which he died with and not from at a very fair age of 87).  My MoT was done last month and all was well in all areas - but I wholeheartedly agree - regular checks.

33 minutes ago, team tractor said:

My dads just had a result of 8 but told that’s nothing to worry about . Is that normal ?

He would need to listen to his Dr. on that one. 

There are various web pages that quote figures - but heavily caveated.  My Dr. is more interested in a 'stable' reading than the actual value (provided it is not overly high).

I don't know what my actual value is - but I have had the test (about) every other year for several times now - and what they are looking for is a level reading - i.e. not increasing - and I understand mine is stable.

What they do warn you is that the PSA test is a rather 'variable' indicator in that it can give false positives and sometimes false negatives - but generally it is useful as an indicator to 'monitor more closely' or have 'other' types of tests/scans.

When my father first (some years ago and things may have changed) had his raised PSA fopund in a routine test - the first step was a more frequent regular PSA testing - which showed his PSA score was on a rising trend - and that led to further tests and a biopsy which confirmed cancer - and a 'treat and watch closely' approach was adopted for him which worked well in his case.