How to acquire New Shotgun License

Sparrowlegs

Hi

New to the forum and Shotgun clay shooting

Enjoyed the experience while on holiday so now would like to acquire a license and buy my own quality shotgun to visit ranges 

Whats my first step to this process, I already have the online syp form 

Any help would be appreciated, also any links to good quality gunshops in the south yorkshire area i’ll be buying all new equipment 

Thanks again

Once you have the application form just fill it in get yourself a couple of referee’s in line that are happy to do it and then submit your forms. Look for a cabinet (bigger than you think you will need, trust me it won’t be big enough ) and then get it fitted, you’ll find plenty of info on the forum about fitting. the where and how etc.  then sit back and wait for the police/ feo to do their part. 

Be warned it’s generally not a quick process. good luck with the application. 

10 hours ago, Sparrowlegs said:

Hi

New to the forum and Shotgun clay shooting

Enjoyed the experience while on holiday so now would like to acquire a license and buy my own quality shotgun to visit ranges 

Whats my first step to this process, I already have the online syp form 

Any help would be appreciated, also any links to good quality gunshops in the south yorkshire area i’ll be buying all new equipment 

Thanks again

As others have said - just go through the application process. It’s straight forward. As the process is currently quite delayed, I would recommend that you get some basic level beginners coaching while waiting. Keep this going until your certificate comes through. By the time you’re ready to buy a gun, you will have a head start. With any luck, you will have also tried a few different coaching guns and have a reasonable idea about which one suits you best. 
Enjoy.

5 hours ago, Sparrowlegs said:

Thanks everyone for the information 

Do i need to join a club before sending the forms as part E states enter a serial / identification number for the shotgun?

how can i enter this without purchasing ? 

Youll need a gp proforma done to add to the application. 

Firstly download and print this off, fill in your bit and drop it off to your GP, if they do them. This could take some time for them to do.

The shotgun in your possession bit will not need filling out for a grant.

Fill in the form, attach the GP proforma, and let the wait begin.

Good luck

Edited by Newbie to this

Sorrry to be a killjoy, but I have brought lots of people into shooting ,both sgc and fac. 

Sparrowlegs seems woefully unaware of ANY of the process.

Surely , having been once on holiday is a bit premature to venture into wanting a grant.

Normally friends or fellow shooters would advise at the clay ground. This seems like Billy no mates to me.

Sorry if this offends.

Sparrowlegs - feel free to put me right.

Steve.

I’ve grown up shooting Air rifles / pellet guns however now that i’ve built up enough wealth to take these hobbies seriously i won’t accept any less than the best

Inferior equipment would surely scuff the experience somewhat

Are the hire Shotguns good quality or loose? 

Also my cardiovascular capability isn’t what it used to be, no more squash for sparrowlegs haha

6 minutes ago, Sparrowlegs said:

I’ve grown up shooting Air rifles / pellet guns however now that i’ve built up enough wealth to take these hobbies seriously i won’t accept any less than the best

Also my cardiovascular capability isn’t what it used to be, no more squash for sparrowlegs haha

Fair enough, I think you will find the wealth bit useful now. . Allow 3 months for grant. Club guns are usually well used but quality. Mirokus/Berettas /Winchester etc.

You will get lots of advice on here. 

Regards,

Steve

By all means continue with your wish to  obtain a shotgun certificate, but treat yourself to a day out at Coniston Hall or Kelbrook or similar ground. Write down a list of questions that you want answers to and ask your Instructor. Not only will you hopefully learn a lot but it will go down well with the Firearms Enquiry Officer, when they come to see you. Both of the grounds mentioned also have a gun shop on site.

A few things to consider:-

It might be worth the OP's time asking his GP if he / she will complete the medical form or if the GP would not support the application on medical grounds. If they won't obtaining the medical data could be obtained via firms such as "Medcert".

Make sure you have a referee who will also support the application.

Fill on the on-line form accurately and honestly. Leave nothing relevant out of the application.

Ensure you have somewhere suitable to install a cabinet.

If you are confident that there would be no problem in your application, visit clay shoots and get some lessons or experience. Not every ground does lessons, but I have never visited a ground who wouldn't welcome or help a newcomer.

• 2 weeks later...

I would apply soon than later  with which ever  force you come under. I am under Humberside police 
I started my process in August 2022. I gave my form to the Doctors. Then spent a couple of weeks  chasing them up. only after a month
for them to tell me my Dr wanted £120  to fill the form . so I went with Medcert.

Medcert  put my request in to my Doctor in September and they took 30 days to send my info back to Medcert.
Medcert then sat on the paperwork for a month till they sent it to their own Doctor. It was not until the beginning of December I got my paperwork back.
I immediately put in for my Grant with Humberside police. I Had my FEO visit on the 3rd Jan  all went ok.
I just spoken today  with Humberside firearms office on the phone. They have all my paperwork its now with the Firearms Licencing manager to sign off .
They did say its taking up to 22 Weeks  But would not say from the application time or the FEO visit time.

Based on the Table on average waiting times on BSAC site of 88 days this would have taken me to 7th March 2023
but with new Info 22 weeks from application this new possible date 12th May 2023 or from FEO visit 6th June 2023.
these are approx. dates 

So going by worst case of June    the whole process from the very start will have taken nearly 10 months 

Welcome. 

Can I suggest 2 things:

1) join your local 'straw baler' - i.e. DIY run clay shoot in a field somewhere.  Might be a bit tricky to find, but will be the cheapest way to go regularly, plus you'll grow your 'shooting network'

2) Pay for a couple of lessons at a proper clay ground.  You'll make lots of progress initially, and that'll give you the best idea of what you want, gun and kit wise.  It's also the thing most likely to impress the FEO that you're serious and a suitable candidate for an SGC. 

Doing no 2 will also help convince whoever's running no 1 you're 'safe'

On 02/02/2023 at 20:52, Sparrowlegs said:

I don't know if you're just green and keen or catfishing..... I shall give you the benefit of the doubt.

What do you consider enough wealth? Just so we know what budget you're looking at for gun(s) and kit?
Define inferior? An affordable second hand 525 or silver pigeon will be better than a brand new turkish import, and will hold their value. Also, some of my most fun experiences have been with kit that many would see as inferior but was fun to shoot with.
Hire guns can come in all conditions. Good condition and loose aren't necessarily opposites. A good gun that's loose is better than a bad gun that's tight, for example. The looseness isn't an issue as long as safety isn't compromised.

I'm really not sure about your squash comment, sorry lose me there.

If you're genuine then I would suggest even a visit to a clay ground and ask to speak to an instructor or manager about getting into the sport will pay dividends. We all have different opinions, but we all agree on gun safety and the basic framework. They'll be able to help advise on county specific things too.

Good luck. If you genuinely won't accept less than the best then I look forward to hopefully seeing you with your boss and co or H&H gun with the finest tailored tweed (or harkila or similar for sporting). Good luck finding the best of the best of wellies and getting people to agree it's the best, it's as difficult as deciding with a group if Eley or Fiocchi is best! 

Edited by HantsRob