Pancreas

peck

Yes, and the cause was gallstones.

It took years of being ill and being blamed on the acid reflux I suffered with before being correctly diagnosed.

Symptoms were bouts of debilitating nausea and pain in the centre/right upper abdomen that would come and go, at best I just couldn't eat anything without it flaring up, at it's worst I truly felt I was going to die, I'm not being over dramatic, I've been close enough to death once to know what that feels like.

However, do not self diagnose, please see a doctor.

3 hours ago, peck said:

Done a bit of self diagnosis and think i may have problems with my pancreas, has anyone else had problems with theirs and what were the symptoms. 

Symptoms can vary depending on the individuals previous comorbidities and gastointestinal surgical history. Lifestyle and medication being the most common causes of pancreatic damage. Symtoms can present as being hepatobiliary,pancreatic, gastrointestinal but can aslo be cardiac.

Get yourself seen.

9 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Symptoms were bouts of debilitating nausea and pain in the centre/right upper abdomen that would come and go, at best I just couldn't eat anything without it flaring up, at it's worst I truly felt I was going to die, I'm not being over dramatic, I've been close enough to death once to know what that feels like.

Just over 4 years ago, woke up in the middle of the night feeling iffy - thought it was going to come out one way or another so I got up. 15 minutes later I was nigh on screaming and my eldest (then 15) was stood at the top of the stairs shaking thinking I was going to be murdered. I was concerned that the pain, while not a heart attack, would bring one on. My Wife (who has slept through an 8.9 in California in the early 90's) eventually woke up and called an ambulance - 999 recommended half an aspirin. I did take it and then within a minute felt the pain wash away down the body. When the Ambulance arrived I felt awful. A scan later and told I have Gallstones and was supposed to have the op but backed out with Covid being on the way. Had several episodes since but not as severe 

48 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Don't self diagnose online,

Not for everyone but it can work

My Step-Dad after months of going to and from doctors and hospital I sat down and googled the symptoms - pancreatitis or pancreatic - unfortunately the latter and he was gone 4 months later. Doctors actually diagnosed him 2 weeks later.

A friend who was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in her 40, again I said to my wife that isn't right - after months of trying to get her levels right which she couldn't it was then diagnosed as Ovarian, then 2 weeks later Pancreatic. A google on the initial symptoms brings up pancreatic in the first hit. If that had been done she might have been with us still. We went to her wedding and her funeral in the same month.

Myself, I had a call to go to the Doctors 10 years ago, not good in itself. I arrived just before the surgery was closing to say a blood test that I had had for something else had shown up something and it is caused by a tumour on my brain and yadder yadder yadder and come back and see us on Wednesday for what will happen next. I went out to the car, sat in it and tears where literally flying out my eyes. I went home (I was supposed to have been in Swindon for the week and that was where I was when I got the phone call) and we tried to keep it normal for the kids. When they went to bed I done some googling and remembered a couple of words that the doctor had said and then found that it wasn't cancer and that it was something that more than likely could be managed by a tablet - it was, and a tumor on my pituitary that was the size of a golf ball (and starting to press on my optic nerve so would have been found once my vision started going) had shrunk to the size of a small pea on my last scan and my levels have gone low. A bit of the old google-fu helped my state there.

1 hour ago, peck said:

Thanks for all the replies, am booked in at the doctors tomorrow.

Nasty tarry sloppy poop is top of the list and the boring answer is lifestyle alas.

Edit

I would add that as I get older I begin to appreciate the simple things in life - how my day goes will depend solely on whether I’ve had a decent night’s sleep and a nice poo in the morning.

Indeed, once you’re over 50, mastering those two things is the secret to a life 😆

Edited by Mungler

• 3 months later...