Finally caught up with them!

kitchrat

After a winter of chasing the flocks from one field of rape to another, from one farm to another and always 1 step behind them as it was impossible to predict their movements, (rarely making double figures) I finally caught up!

It started with the dry spell letting spring drilling start 6 weeks earlier than last year.

1St, a barley field, one of several so the flocks were still out-jumping me but I got 30 odd.

Next, a bean field, well-drilled so little on top but before they lost interest, I had another 30 odd.

Then, a little sheltered patch of green and juicy OSR which had avoided the snow and frost, with a regular little flock of predictable birds. Only a small flock, but I had 35 of them.

Finally, Tuesday afternoon I found a field of badly-drilled barley. He had direct-drilled it, using an old disc drill because there was a lot of regrowth following the autumn rough cultivation. It's covered with birds, my words, not his!! I check where they are coming from, wind direction and make a plan. Not much cover but I can use a copse to get the birds coming R to L, which is the better way for my old, beat-up body to swing.

Yesterday, I'm up before dawn, disaster, misty, drizzle and no wind. Have to go as the number of birds will quickly clean up the seed in the surface. Set up as planned, double magnet to increase visibility in the murk, floaters, real birds on cradles etc.

1st single, “local” bird appears before I am ready but dives over the copse from behind ( no wind to direct them) and flares away when he sees it's decoys. Next one, not so lucky! A bit quiet at first, just a few local 1's and 2's, decoying but not committing.

The gloom lifts a bit and the flocks start to move. Huge flocks, several 100 each, at one time I can see 4 such flocks. They dive in, en-mass. Do I shoot them and scare 100's? Most flare away but the greedy ones turn for a 2nd look and pay the price. However, the flocks are gone for now.

Small groups keep coming, from random directions, diving in, most flare away. Do I take tricky shots or wait for the greedy ones turn for a 2nd look? Sometimes I guess right, sometimes wrong!

The big flocks make a return, but from great height, 200 ft +? They fold their wings and dive bomb the magnets at speeds a peregrine falcon would be proud of. Same guessing game, will some make the 2nd trip and give me an easy shot?? Or do I take snap shots?

Some you win and some you lose but I have to say I did well and ended with 109 picked, for 178 shots, dead tired after I had dragged them all off the field of play.

NB After getting about 40 in the pattern, I put the new ones to cool on damp grass, covered with a net, so as to leave landing room, but very few tried to land.

NB2, Using Clear Pigeon, 30gm No 6, worked great!

IMG_20230222_153641_3.jpg