Altberg boots ?

islandgun

Im looking for wide fitting boots and these look very good, any recommendations for them or similar. also looking at Danner "Grouse"  [but they are a tad costly 😲] Comfort, waterproofing and longevity [repairable] more important than cost, daily wear and rough shooting

18 minutes ago, Mr grumpy said:

Very good quality boot,but not as comfy or as wide fitting as my meindls.wouldnt buy another pair.

Thanks folks........Mr grumpy thats interesting as i have meindls dovre [which i think are wide]  and they are too tight. did you have the extra wide altbergs ?

I bought my Danners in 97/98, wear them 2 or 3 days a week. Always clean them. Often wear Barbour wax gaiters over. They're repairable and after 25 years mine are about ready for a re sole. Yes they're pricey but it's a case of get what you pay for with these boots. 

Bit heavy when I'm tired and very warm in summer but I've never regretted paying the premium. 

20230324_181035.jpg

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Im looking for wide fitting boots and these look very good, any recommendations for them or similar. also looking at Danner "Grouse"  [but they are a tad costly 😲] Comfort, waterproofing and longevity [repairable] more important than cost, daily wear and rough shooting

Worth calling Brandecosse and chatting with them. Certainly well made, repairable, hard wearing and waterproof but can’t comment on wide fitting.

I found danners to be narrow fitting. This was years ago. 

I have lowa and altbergs. Out of the both I would pick lowa day in day out but for full clarity I am currently wearing altbergs. As I bought 2 pairs at a really good price - the first pair lasted 2 years of nearly daily use. My lowas by comparison lasted 5 or so

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Been wearing a pair of Altberg Kisdon boots for walking etc which I bought just over a year ago.Theyre made on their `G last` and are the most comfortable boots I`ve had !!! Been wearing Meindl/Lowa for over 20 yrs but the Altbergs are better for wide feet imho. Theyre not the highest of boots mind and you would need gaiters. Hth.

31 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I bought my Danners in 97/98, wear them 2 or 3 days a week. Always clean them. Often wear Barbour wax gaiters over. They're repairable and after 25 years mine are about ready for a re sole. Yes they're pricey but it's a case of get what you pay for with these boots. 

Bit heavy when I'm tired and very warm in summer but I've never regretted paying the premium. 

20230324_181035.jpg

My thoughts as well, quality pays.. not sure i need them for 25 yrs though, [its my 70th next week] could always hand them down to my son😄

17 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

I found danners to be narrow fitting. This was years ago. 

I have lowa and altbergs. Out of the both I would pick lowa day in day out but for full clarity I am currently wearing altbergs. As I bought 2 pairs at a really good price - the first pair lasted 2 years of nearly daily use. My lowas by comparison lasted 5 or so

Danners do several width fittings up to extra wide, will check out the lowas.. 

The only boot makers that ive found that do extra wide are Danners and Altberg

4 minutes ago, matone said:

Been wearing a pair of Altberg Kisdon boots for walking etc which I bought just over a year ago.Theyre made on their `G last` and are the most comfortable boots I`ve had !!! Been wearing Meindl/Lowa for over 20 yrs but the Altbergs are better for wide feet imho. Theyre not the highest of boots mind and you would need gaiters. Hth.

Hm Height is the only thing im not sure about, less about water ingress but more about rubbing on an old ulcer scar on my ankle

Edited by islandgun

If you go to Altberg at Richmond you WILL come out with a pair of boots that fit. I think their standard range covers 5 width fittings, before you even think about made to measure. You do not even have to have the same size, or width fitting, for each foot. 
I have had my Altberg since 2006/7, but, to be fair they are not worn every day.

I think that boots unless your forced to wear a set pattern are very much an individual thing and there's no one style fits all.

My son for his military service bought and wore Lowas, that's before they became issue, he found Danners too warm. On the other hand I saw soldiers that Lowas caused blisters by the rear of the heel breaking down. I think that was sorted in later models by the introduction of an extra leather insert in that area. 

Best you try as many as possible to find something that suits. I've always found if your feet are uncomfortable the rest of your body will suffer also.

I don't think the search for the ultimate boot for all purposes will ever end.

13 hours ago, London Best said:

If you go to Altberg at Richmond you WILL come out with a pair of boots that fit. I think their standard range covers 5 width fittings, before you even think about made to measure. You do not even have to have the same size, or width fitting, for each foot. 
I have had my Altberg since 2006/7, but, to be fair they are not worn every day.

Thanks for the heads up London best.

Only an hour away so plan booking a fitting before next season- starting with some foot pain as have size 12.5 wide feet suspect years of cramming them into ill fitting footwear is catching up with me !

Agriv8

14 hours ago, London Best said:

58 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Thanks for the heads up London best.

Only an hour away so plan booking a fitting before next season- starting with some foot pain as have size 12.5 wide feet suspect years of cramming them into ill fitting footwear is catching up with me !

Agriv8

Thanks everyone for your interest.  London best,   Ive applied for an appointment at Altberg, hoping April, bit of a treck but Ive never been to that part of England. Agriv8 I also think years of ill fitting footwear is responsible for my current problems

Island gun it’s a manky old bent over toe plus pain across the ball of the foot of the bigger of my feet - I have one pair of Clark’s wide boots that are comfortable !

I beat in some griss sport keeper boots which I can walk miles in but as soon as I stop my toe cramps up !

keep us updated on how you get on please !

thanks Agriv8 

1 minute ago, Agriv8 said:

Island gun it’s a manky old bent over toe plus pain across the ball of the foot of the bigger of my feet - I have one pair of Clark’s wide boots that are comfortable !

I beat in some griss sport keeper boots which I can walk miles in but as soon as I stop my toe cramps up !

keep us updated on how you get on please !

thanks Agriv8 

Edit to add nidderdale AONB and Yorkshire dales nation parks well wort a wander arround 

23 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thanks folks........Mr grumpy thats interesting as i have meindls dovre [which i think are wide]  and they are too tight. did you have the extra wide altbergs ?

They are the widest fitting that altberg do.i'm only a size 6,so maybe they are really for ladies?

18 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Grisport Decoy Mens Walking Boot Black Waxed Leather | Grisport UK

Leather Gamekeeper Sporting Boots | FREE UK Delivery | Grisport

Both these boots are spot on lads, so comfy from day 1 and last as good as others out there at a fraction of the cost

The bottom one I have they are good for all day beating and superb support and comfort- but towards the end of this season after a long day a couple of time in the pub after my toe has cramped up. I know I have wide big feat I think it’s time to start looking after them the altbergs factory is an hour away will take my griss sport keeper boots - but for well made British boots they are not daft money - and I’d be prepared to pay for a bit of comfort!

Agriv8