Blaser f16. Is it worth it?

grantwal

So I was about to go ahead and buy a silver pigeon 5 but I’ve just for the first time discovered the blaser f16 and I’m wondering do people think it’s worth it or stick with my original plan? 

my biggest problem is I’m a leftie and the closest left handed one is 100miles away and don’t know if it’s worth the trip to end up not liking it. 

if anyone has any experience with one and could give their opinion on the F16 would be great. Thank you 

I too couldn’t get the hang of it, part ex a 692 because the engineering of the Blaser was lovely not a sharp bit of metal anywhere. But the F16 was too light and slim, the gun was all over the place, so got rid for a Prosport.

still not hitting clays mind, but I am a bit more stable when I miss😂

The game model is very light but the couple of sporters I've tried were a nice weight of 8lb 3oz which IMO is about right for a sporting clays gun. I liked the way the F16s shoot, with the fit very close to my CG. The triggers were pretty good too and much lighter than either of the 2 late-ish Berettas I've owned.

For sporting clays I wouldn't pick an F16 over a CG, but I'd much prefer one to any 68x or 69x family Beretta.

On 07/04/2023 at 18:41, steve1066 said:

I too couldn’t get the hang of it, part ex a 692 because the engineering of the Blaser was lovely not a sharp bit of metal anywhere. But the F16 was too light and slim, the gun was all over the place, so got rid for a Prosport.

still not hitting clays mind, but I am a bit more stable when I miss😂

I never actually bought an f16, I just took one for a test drive. I was with a group of 4 other shooters, none of whom are new to the game, not one of us could shoot the f16 with any consistency.  I couldn't shoot the XS Pro either  so ended up with a ProSport. 

I CAN hit clays with that  !

9 hours ago, Westley said:

I never actually bought an f16, I just took one for a test drive. I was with a group of 4 other shooters, none of whom are new to the game, not one of us could shoot the f16 with any consistency.  I couldn't shoot the XS Pro either  so ended up with a ProSport. 

Which grounds do you shoot at Westley. I have just noticed you are in Lancashire?

Ribble Bank, Kelbrook, Paintmine, Dolphin, Catton Hall,  NWSS, Llandegla, and Hodnet. Looking to get to Mickley Hall in the near future. I try to get around   !    😄

Not all on the same day though  !   

Edited by Westley

On 10/04/2023 at 09:28, Westley said:

My shooting buddy has the XS Pro, and after toying with the idea of getting rid, twiddled about with the weights, comb and butt pad ( of which there are three I believe ) and now judging by the way he shot last weekend, has it finally set up correctly for him. He didn’t miss a lot. 
He reckons the XS Pro is a 525 and the Pro Sport a 725 ( or vice versa ) and that there is a difference, which I wasn’t aware of. 
Anyhow, given the choice I’d opt for the Pro Sport; I just think it’s a much better looking gun and fits me well. 

I think that the stock on the Prosport is second to none, which is why I prefer it. I have Elton John fingers but the palm swell is superbly positioned.  I have an MK38 lying dormant in the cupboard because I now find the comb too slim and it catches my cheek bone. I just wish the Prosport was 3/4lbs lighter. 

I have none of the additional weights fitted, it doesn't need them. The Prosport has a slightly lower height to the action and a different trigger assembly.  It STILL suffers carboning of the bottom barrel firing pin though  !     😄

Edited by Westley

On 08/04/2023 at 14:32, Westward said:

For sporting clays I wouldn't pick an F16 over a CG,

I think I have come to the decision to sell my Invictus 1 and keep my F3 - I shot a very good 86 on a registered Sporttrap the other week with the F3 - realise it isn't an F16 but just to throw in the mix.

Hijacking this thread for a moment - can anyone who's used (ideally the game version of) the f16 explain why they didn't like it?

From what i've read, they are quite light - so I'd be interested if they suffer from the 'quick to start, quick to stop' issue that's inherent with a lot of light guns, or if the 30" barrels keep them moving well enough to make lead manageable / easy?

On paper - they look exactly like the gun I've been searching for - something that's light enough to carry all day, can shoot walked up snipe, driven pheseants, geese over decoys, and teal around a flight pond equally well. With a decent price tag and good looks to boot.

Blaser stocks don't suit everyone. I had no problems when I tried one but there have been lots of complaints about the recoil on Shotgun world. But then a high ptoportion of Americans shoot shotguns like rifles and cram their faces into the comb in order to look flat along the rib.