GRAND NATIONAL.

Westley

Anyone planning to go to Aintree for the National, you might want to take a hip flask  !   It looks as if the Catering Manager is 'tea total'  with beer at an eye watering £7.50 a pint and shorts at £6 a shot. You will need a 'high odds' winner to be able to get drunk.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Westley said:

Anyone planning to go to Aintree for the National, you might want to take a hip flask  !   It looks as if the Catering Manager is 'tea total'  with beer at an eye watering £7.50 a pint and shorts at £6 a shot. You will need a 'high odds' winner to be able to get drunk.

I don't think that's unreasonable at all, a lot of pubs are £5 or more for a pint and considering the vendors have to pay thousands for a pitch at a lot of events its to be expected.  A lot of people are happy to pay £14 or more for a burger and chips in a pub, now that to me is ridiculous  when I can get a nice 12oz steak with all the trimmings in a country pub where I live for the the same cost.

IMG_20220804_195936.jpg

Edited by sportsbob

45 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

I don't think that's unreasonable at all, a lot of pubs are £5 or more for a pint and considering the vendors have to pay thousands for a pitch at a lot of events its to be expected.  A lot of people are happy to pay £14 or more for a burger and chips in a pub, now that to me is ridiculous  when I can get a nice 12oz steak with all the trimmings in a country pub where I live for the the same cost.

IMG_20220804_195936.jpg

You Sir, are responsible for my drooling....

That would be £25 round here and still wouldn't have as much and we are in North Wales...

17 minutes ago, Stephen-H said:

£5.50 for a pint of guiness in one of the locals & £7.50 for a 250ml glass of merlot 

I would not be visiting it   ! 

A bottle of the ' House wine' at Aintree, a staggering £34   😄

Edited by Westley

17 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

£5.50 for a pint of guiness in one of the locals & £7.50 for a 250ml glass of merlot 

I was in Keswick a couple of weeks ago and a pint of beer/ale was £4.20 a pint, quite good for holiday destination.  I'm not surprised people drink more at home these days

I don’t drink beer at home as for me it is a social activity with mates in a nice pub. Round here in the eastern corner of Sussex by the sea there is a lovely micropub with a good range of beers, ales and ciders. Most of them at £4 a pint, some of the more intoxicating ones range up to £6. Regular pub prices are around £5 to £5.50 for a run of the mill pint.

27 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

I don’t drink beer at home as for me it is a social activity with mates in a nice pub. Round here in the eastern corner of Sussex by the sea there is a lovely micropub with a good range of beers, ales and ciders. Most of them at £4 a pint, some of the more intoxicating ones range up to £6. Regular pub prices are around £5 to £5.50 for a run of the mill pint.

Same this way in Somerset, the closest pub to me is between £3.50 and £4 a pint but the landlady is going to need to increase the prices by 30p due to rising running costs . Where I generally have a meal Thatcher's Cider is £4 and I think Biere Moretti is just over £5, some of the more "prestigious venues are £5 or more for everything.

4 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

The cost of the paint I don't mind £3.50 + I might have three, £4.50+ I might have two, £5.00+ might have one, but the problem I allways come across is it rubbish, all I want is a nice pint and it's hard to find, well enjoy your day if your going. 

You drink paint? Strange fellow.

Newcastle is a great place to go out and the beer is reasonably priced.

In my town we have a nice microbrewery which serves good beers at £4-5 a pint. Has anyone tried an IPA called rolling papers? - what a beauty and £5 a pint locally.

I have a perfectdraft machine at home and a keg called Clwb tropica IPA is a lovely citrusy drink.

And my tip for the national is - Born by the sea .