Non fault accident

Lloyd90

I was involved in a non fault accident yesterday, with someone smashing into the back of me on the M5. 

The damage isn’t a write off I’d say but fairly significant as my boot is ruined and won’t open. 

I was able to drive home and had to get the dogs out of the dog box over the back seat.

Fortunately no one was harmed. 

The bloke admitted fault, and his insurance company have already phoned and left messages admitting fault and offering to do all the repairs and sort everything direct.

I have not spoken with them directly at all. 

I have not let my insurance know just yet, intended to do this today. 

I am assuming as his insurance is paying out, there may be a potential conflict between in them sorting it all out, as in they will push for the cheapest of everything? 

I am thinking I am better letting my own insurance sorting me out and claim off the other party? 

I am with Hastings and the other person is with Aviva. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Prepare youself for an increase in next years premium 😏.

Yes I have already read that. It appears unavoidable 🤦‍♂️

26 minutes ago, marsh man said:

The main thing was nobody or your dogs was hurt , very annoying but these things happen , let the insurance companies sort it , afterall , that is what you have insurance for.

Good luck and I hope the claim is sorted out as smooth as possible .

Yep I told the bloke that he phoned me afterwards to thank me for being so good about it. 

59 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I was involved in a non fault accident yesterday, with someone smashing into the back of me on the M5. 

The damage isn’t a write off I’d say but fairly significant as my boot is ruined and won’t open. 

I was able to drive home and had to get the dogs out of the dog box over the back seat.

Fortunately no one was harmed. 

The bloke admitted fault, and his insurance company have already phoned and left messages admitting fault and offering to do all the repairs and sort everything direct.

I have not spoken with them directly at all. 

I have not let my insurance know just yet, intended to do this today. 

I am assuming as his insurance is paying out, there may be a potential conflict between in them sorting it all out, as in they will push for the cheapest of everything? 

I am thinking I am better letting my own insurance sorting me out and claim off the other party? 

I am with Hastings and the other person is with Aviva. 

Lloyd I had the same thing happen to me last year except my car was crashed into whilst parked and unattended in a car park.By the time I had driven it home the other drivers insurance was in contact and trying to arrange everything ,this befor I had time to get the vehicle properly checked I allowed them to do everything and felt uneasy about the whole process.

My premium has not gone up at all as I was not at fault for the accident why should you be out of pocket for someone else’s accident?

I wish I had had my vehicle checked over before it disappeared for repair as they only fixed what I could see and tell them what I thought was damaged,with hindsight a mistake ,yes let the other company complete the claim but for peace of mind don’t let them rush you get it properly assessed first.

I've had 2 no faults claims in recent years. 1 a write off and 1 a near write off. Neither increased my premiums. In fact the last premium was a fair bit cheaper for whatever reason.

Inform your insurers ASAP. They will deal with it, hqve your repairs assessed and decide if its a write off or not.

They then tell the other party what it cost and are reimbursed. Same as a write off, your insurer pays you and then they claim it back from the other party.

Both instances were painless. Should it be a write off (amazing what is this days) find your spec vehicle 5 times or so for a price that's reasonable to you (autotrader) make a note of them so you can haggle when they offer you less. Took 10 minutes and a coffee and was worth 1000 to me.

3 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I've had 2 no faults claims in recent years. 1 a write off and 1 a near write off. Neither increased my premiums. In fact the last premium was a fair bit cheaper for whatever reason.

Inform your insurers ASAP. They will deal with it, hqve your repairs assessed and decide if its a write off or not.

They then tell the other party what it cost and are reimbursed. Same as a write off, your insurer pays you and then they claim it back from the other party.

Both instances were painless. Should it be a write off (amazing what is this days) find your spec vehicle 5 times or so for a price that's reasonable to you (autotrader) make a note of them so you can haggle when they offer you less. Took 10 minutes and a coffee and was worth 1000 to me.

Thank you 🤞🏻👍🏻

Have notified my insurance and I am going to let them sort it for me and claim off the other party as I can’t see how the other party would exactly have my best interests at heart if they are paying for the end bill. 

I shouldn’t have to pay my own excess or anything so 🤞🏻🤞🏻

be prepared for a write off...mate had similar damage (no-fault)...on a near new Nissan.......the mending costs/quotes were horrific.....got wrote off...

i think alot of companies/garages are so busy now they quote high cause they dont want the work

glad you and the dogs are fine :good:

54 minutes ago, ditchman said:

be prepared for a write off...mate had similar damage (no-fault)...on a near new Nissan.......the mending costs/quotes were horrific.....got wrote off...

i think alot of companies/garages are so busy now they quote high cause they dont want the work

glad you and the dogs are fine :good:

I’d be amazed but you never know. 

Apparently Enterprise (the bloody car rental company) have been appointed to sort my repair and give me a courtesy car … surely not? 🤔

I do understand I don’t have to use their repairer so will have to check who they want to use. 

34 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I do understand I don’t have to use their repairer so will have to check who they want to use. 

You have the legal right to use whichever repairer you like it does not have to be an insurer appointed business despite the lies the insurance company will tell you. Also you can even submit two reasonably high quotes, the insurance company will pick the lower quote and then have the cash as full and final settlement instead of the repair and take it to somewhere cheaper that the quotes you have submitted.

Edited by sportsbob

Glad someone has hit you and admitted it straight away. You couldn’t ask for better to be honest! I was side swiped by an idiot in an Audi Q7 nearly 5 years ago and he blamed me (he was in the wrong lane to join a slip road and instead of going round the roundabout again he tried to push me over) did both offside doors in on my 1992 Carlton. It took 2.5 years of him changing his story and 1 week before it went to court for his insurance to admit liability and for me to reclaim the £630 it cost me to repair it. Stressed was an understatement. But on the upside I had no increase in premiums. Always make sure you tick the legal cover for your car insurance!!

Mrs Jasper had the same. Car was repairable. The other parties insurance rang her and said they would sort it. Never heard of it at the time.  Contacted own insurance. Let them deal with it. We Nominated where the repair was done no probs. A local body shop owned by a family friend. 

Jasper. 

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I’d be amazed but you never know. 

Apparently Enterprise (the bloody car rental company) have been appointed to sort my repair and give me a courtesy car … surely not? 🤔

I had a non fault and enterprise did all mine too

2 hours ago, button said:

I had a non fault and enterprise did all mine too

Really? They sorted the repairs and gave you a courtesy car? 

Were they good to deal with?

I assume they just oversee it and send it off to a garage they have in their nearby area or something? 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I assume they just oversee it and send it off to a garage they have in their nearby area or something? 

Took mine to them, got courtesy car, next time I saw mine it was repaired, they work with alot on insurance companies

https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/business-car-hire/B2B-website-content/accident-management.html

Edited by button

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Oh and they will offer you cover for damage to the hire car, something like £7 day max £70 from memory 

Take it, mine was only a small amount of damage but it took nearly 8 weeks to get parts to complete, in which time I managed to rip the roof lining in a new Merc, best £70 I spent last year!

10 hours ago, button said:

Oh and they will offer you cover for damage to the hire car, something like £7 day max £70 from memory 

Take it, mine was only a small amount of damage but it took nearly 8 weeks to get parts to complete, in which time I managed to rip the roof lining in a new Merc, best £70 I spent last year!

Will they give you a like for like courtesy car? 

I drive an X-trail and don't want to be driving round in a Micra or similar :D

17 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Will they give you a like for like courtesy car? 

I drive an X-trail and don't want to be driving round in a Micra or similar :D

At the time I had a new L200 and said I wanted either a 4x4 or an estate as a minimum and ended up with a new Merc estate, dont worry it's in their interest to put you in something good, they are charging it back to the insurance company 

Both Hastings and Aviva are reputable companies. Any repair will be "by the book" and to proper and correct standard. There will be no "bodging" or using third party panels. Now maybe five years ago I did six months at Hastings. Your premiums will increase as, sadly, the algorithm companies use decides having had one accident you likely have another.

Hastings, from memory, allow one accident where full cost isn't recovered in that whilst you premiums go up your no claims bonus won't be entirely lost. I can't remember the formula but I think it maybe reduces by a set proportion. A call to them will tell you if you ask.

In most cases if the other party is liable and full recovery is made by Hastings from them it should mean your no claims bonus is not affected at all. But yes your premium will go up and of course the question every renewal "Have you made a claim in the last X number of years?"

Hastings are pretty straight. And by law you must call them so make a list of questions and ask them when you do. They will advise on how to proceed with repairs and provision of a car in the interim. As correct procedure is you are their client so they sort it then hae Aviva reimburse them. You are NOT directly Aviva's client.

Edited by enfieldspares

51 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Both Hastings and Aviva are reputable companies. Any repair will be "by the book" and to proper and correct standard. There will be no "bodging" or using third party panels. Now maybe five years ago I did six months at Hastings. Your premiums will increase as, sadly, the algorithm companies use decides having had one accident you likely have another.

Hastings, from memory, allow one accident where full cost isn't recovered in that whilst you premiums go up your no claims bonus won't be entirely lost. I can't remember the formula but I think it maybe reduces by a set proportion. A call to them will tell you if you ask.

In most cases if the other party is liable and full recovery is made by Hastings from them it should mean your no claims bonus is not affected at all. But yes your premium will go up and of course the question every renewal "Have you made a claim in the last X number of years?"

Hastings are pretty straight. And by law you must call them so make a list of questions and ask them when you do. They will advise on how to proceed with repairs and provision of a car in the interim. As correct procedure is you are their client so they sort it then hae Aviva reimburse them. You are NOT directly Aviva's client.

Already notified them, all done online these days don’t actually even speak to anyone. 

Fill out a bunch of boxes and they say “we will be holding the other party liable based off the info you have given us, do you agree?”. 

Then the repair company have automatically been passed my contact details it seems. 

I’ve not spoken to them yet though as wanted to get all my stuff out the car first.

My mate gave me a hand and amazingly we managed to lift the dog box from inside and fit it out through the sun roof 🤣 so will phone them tomorrow to sort the repairs. 

If you care about the vehicle and it's not immediately written off then you should be requesting that the vehicle is repaired by the manufacturer or a manufacturers approved agent. 

Most accident repair centers will be working from a fixed cost list and will do everything possible to squeeze every penny out of the work. 

I would also request an independent post-repair condition report to ensure that the repairers haven't just carried out the superficial repairs and left the structural stuff (spare wheel well, rear subframe etc) in a state.

Easier said than done as even your own insurer will want to close your case with as little time and effort as possible and shifting the whole process onto a third party is how they do it.