Rifle & shotgun safe recommendation please

ilovemyheckler

Don't replace the Shotgun Cabinet.

Just buy a Rifle cabinet to go next to it.

Work out how long your chosen arms will be with moderators fitted.

With those dimensions you can look online and get a deal.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Spellage!

29 minutes ago, ilovemyheckler said:

I am about to apply for my firearms certificate so need to replace my shotgun safe with a firearms suitable safe.

Can you please recommend me a suitable safe - 3 scoped rifles, 3 shotguns  6 scoped rifles and 6 shotguns and separate ammo safe

Thanks

Corrected your post you have made a future mistake. :yes:

1 hour ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Dougy, sorry I forgot that you always have 3 more guns and 3 more rifles than you need!!!!

That and cabinets are always advertised as being able to store more than they are realistically capable of. Like the MPG rating of a car.

A 6 gun cabinet may store 6 shotguns packed in like sardines but will likely only fit 2-3 scoped rifles. Probably only 2 if you leave the bipods, slings etc attached.

I bought a GDK extra large scoped rifle cabinet to go next to my existing shotgun cabinet when I applied for my FAC. It currently has a 32" O/U shotgun (too long for my other cabinet), a 16" barrelled rimfire rifle, a 223 centre fire rifle and a PCP air rifle in it. It's probably full to capacity with the above and any more firearms would require a separate cabinet or that the air rifle finds a home elsewhere in the house.

Ebay item No 301558733524

4 hours ago, ilovemyheckler said:

Can you please recommend me a suitable safe

These things are all pretty utilitarian, ignore the 'police approved' nonsense they try to give you.

Whatever you can find for good value local to you and/or delivered from ebay/Amazon will work.  As mentioned, consider actual capacity to be somewhere between 50-75% of advertised.

I have a Brattonsound7 rifle version & everything fits OK. I recently needed something for 2 rifles & a shotgun. I went through several makes of 5 gun cabinates thinking they will fit 3 easy, NO ! Differen makes gave different problems. With all of them I had to place rifles side on & no room for the shotgun. One wasn't tall enough for a 28" shotgun due to the internal ammo safe. All were listed as for rifles but none were deep enough. All had a narrow doorway. Eventualy I found a Brattonsound 5 rifle. Good access, my guns fit well & space for 2 more. After my experience definately get something bigger than what you think you need !

22 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

These things are all pretty utilitarian, ignore the 'police approved' nonsense they try to give you.

Whatever you can find for good value local to you and/or delivered from ebay/Amazon will work.  As mentioned, consider actual capacity to be somewhere between 50-75% of advertised.

You can get rifle rods to make more efficient use of the space in a cabinet. 

1 minute ago, Rock_n_Roll_Outlaw said:

Edited by Rock_n_Roll_Outlaw

I used to be an RFD dealing from home many years ago , On my last visit I  had  now not an RFD for my co-terminus FAC/SGC renewal the FEO on my safes said  14 gun ( that will hold 20) , the 2 10 gun safes ( they will do for 15 each) and the 3   x 5 gun (will do 7 each), So  what was said was what ever you can cram into them and lock them is the official capacity and that does not unclude the safe's i have  in the loft she did not look at.

Edited by Andy H

8 hours ago, Andy H said:

I used to be an RFD dealing from home many years ago , On my last visit I  had  now not an RFD for my co-terminus FAC/SGC renewal the FEO on my safes said  14 gun ( that will hold 20) , the 2 10 gun safes ( they will do for 15 each) and the 3   x 5 gun (will do 7 each), So  what was said was what ever you can cram into them and lock them is the official capacity and that does not unclude the safe's i have  in the loft she did not look at.

I was told exactly the same about thirty years ago.

I have posted before that I was well impressed by the way Brattonsound recently handled my cabinet failure even though it was over 10 years old 

I agree with everyone else 

Go for a separate FAC S1 safe and SGC S2 safe and keep your S1 bolts and ammo in the locker of the S2 safe (obviously buy one with a locker if you’re current one doesn’t have it)

I also agree that the 5 gun brattonsound will take 4ish scoped rifles but if you can get one, get the 7gun one

i was looking around recently and really like the way the LOKAWAY doors lock securely if I was building a new setup I’d look at the LOKAWAY 

if you really think a 5 gun brattonsound is big enough I have one for sale I eventually went for the 7gun

D

On 02/06/2023 at 00:07, udderlyoffroad said:

I’m not arguing with your point but I was told recently by my local police and someone else at Bisley from a different force said they had been told they are going to be pushing Level 2 safes for larger quantities of firearms 

That said it’s always going to be applied differently by different forces and different FEOs 

D

On 01/06/2023 at 19:42, Dougy said:

Corrected your post you have made a future mistake. 

👍😉

1 hour ago, Downforce said:

I have posted before that I was well impressed by the way Brattonsound recently handled my cabinet failure even though it was over 10 years old 

I agree with everyone else 

Go for a separate FAC S1 safe and SGC S2 safe and keep your S1 bolts and ammo in the locker of the S2 safe (obviously buy one with a locker if you’re current one doesn’t have it)

I also agree that the 5 gun brattonsound will take 4ish scoped rifles but if you can get one, get the 7gun one

i was looking around recently and really like the way the LOKAWAY doors lock securely if I was building a new setup I’d look at the LOKAWAY 

if you really think a 5 gun brattonsound is big enough I have one for sale I eventually went for the 7gun

D

I started with an 5 rifle brattonsound, I found it would comfortably hold 3 guns and 4 was cramped but was OK.

I quickly got a 7 rifle brattonsound and it now sits next to the 5. I'd say the 7 comfortably holds 5.

You will get 5 and 7 in respectively, but expect a few knocks.

Definitely go bigger than what you think you need. They tend to multipy.

Your cabinet is never big enough.  I very quickly ran out of room with my first cabinet and had to buy a replacement (not enough room for both). 

My current one is a 7 gun cabinet with internal ammo safe (though I only have shotguns, I use it for odd ammo boxes). I did tell the FEO that it was a 9 gun cabinet and he wrote that down, though at 7 guns it would be cramped, I've got to watch the bolts on the semi autos from catching the gun next to it. 

I have a Bratton 5S+ ?

currently home to

725 sporter

beretta 301

20g AYA SXS

16g Bayard SxS 

bernadelli 12g SxS 

baikal 12g SxS 

410 folding Belgian poachers

all live in individual socks, all barrel down apart from Beretta. Folder is folded and lives in that unused space behind the barrels. I reckon I could get one more in. I like the door ledge idea

• 2 weeks later...

I put 4 scoped rifles in a Brattonsound RL7+ and with large scopes they just fit without clattering into each other as I take each one out.

Do not go by what the advertisement states, go by the dimensions of the cabinet but keep in mind an RL7+ is 54KG so takes some moving and 2 of them is far easier to manage than a 90KG or 180KG Brattonsound Titan.

Downforce's advice is sound👍