Neighbour parking at end of our lane

Shadowchaser

For the past two or three Sundays the chap living across the road has parked his 4x4 at the end of our farm lane. It's been there from about 1pm until after 6. Last week we even saw him go out with his wife in her car for about two hours leaving his vehicle on our lane. 

Now if he was having work done or had some other circumstance to park his vehicle there and asked permission to do so, no problem. But it looks like it could become a regular thing and I don't want a precedent set. 

He has enough room for 4/5 cars at the front of his own house and space at the back for 1, so there is actually no need at all for him to be using our land. 

Granted his vehicle being there isn't an inconvenience, but it could become one. 

My mother wants to solve the situation by parking one of our vehicles there tomorrow before he can. My way would be to see if he does it again and then go over and ask him why and tell him to move it. 

There is a possibility that he thinks the land at the end of the lane isn't ours (our gate is set back from the road to allow vehicles to turn in and get clear of the road, if the gate is closed.)

What would you do? 

(Before anyone mentions it, we do have some No Parking signs to put up, but we won't get chance before tomorrow.)  

27 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

This is what I'm thinking. 

My mothers suggestion seems a bit tit for tat. 

As above, it's good to talk 🙂 I once casually asked a neighbour why he parked his car over the curb, about a foot onto the narrow pavement. He said he didn't want his car scratched or the mirrors broken. No other vehicle has been or is parked in that manner, I informed him. And besides, there was more chance of damage from someone walking past on the even narrower pavement. He then kicked off about my attitude and it was because of his colour !? I never spoke with anything other than a relaxed manner and almost joking ! I just walked away as he was in full flow. Luckily he and his family moved soon after that. Other neighbours copped his attitude as well, I found out later 🤷

I think a lot depends on ownership of the land and public access. Dont imagine that the Police will be any help, there is no Law to prevent someone actually parking on your drive next to your house unless they are blocking you in, I believe the only other occasion the Plod will react (if you're lucky) is if a Vehicle is parked on a dropped curb.

24 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I think a lot depends on ownership of the land and public access. Dont imagine that the Police will be any help, there is no Law to prevent someone actually parking on your drive next to your house unless they are blocking you in, I believe the only other occasion the Plod will react (if you're lucky) is if a Vehicle is parked on a dropped curb.

I've no intention of making it a police or civil matter.  The land/lane is entirely ours, it's just that it's not gated off for the reason I explained above.  

I'll have a casual chat with him tomorrow (or the next time he does it). 

1 hour ago, JKD said:

As above, it's good to talk 🙂 I once casually asked a neighbour why he parked his car over the curb, about a foot onto the narrow pavement. He said he didn't want his car scratched or the mirrors broken. No other vehicle has been or is parked in that manner, I informed him. And besides, there was more chance of damage from someone walking past on the even narrower pavement. He then kicked off about my attitude and it was because of his colour !? I never spoke with anything other than a relaxed manner and almost joking ! I just walked away as he was in full flow. Luckily he and his family moved soon after that. Other neighbours copped his attitude as well, I found out later 🤷

This is the trouble, the person who is causing the problem ends up kicking off when someone takes issue with it.  Then you can end up feeling like the aggrieved party.

I know another issue I need to deal with is to ask another neighbour to stop chucking their grass cuttings over the fence into our land.  They have what I would describe a large garden, and throw the cuttings over into our field. 

I can sense I'll be the "bad" party in that discussion.  

6 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

I know another issue I need to deal with is to ask another neighbour to stop chucking their grass cuttings over the fence into our land.  They have what I would describe a large garden, and throw the cuttings over into our field. 

In similar cases I have known the aggrieved party pick it up and drop it on their drive!   :cool1:

And the chap in question used the bucket on his tractor.    :good:

8 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

I've no intention of making it a police or civil matter.  The land/lane is entirely ours, it's just that it's not gated off for the reason I explained above.  

This is the trouble, the person who is causing the problem ends up kicking off when someone takes issue with it.  Then you can end up feeling like the aggrieved party.

A farmer mate had that problem with hedge trimmings (branches).
He scooped them all up and chucked them in the middle of the offender’s lawn. A woman came out and told him her husband wasn’t going to be pleased when he got home. She was told to “send him round and I’ll discuss it with him”, but nothing further was ever heard.

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In similar cases I have known the aggrieved party pick it up and drop it on their drive!   :cool1:

And the chap in question used the bucket on his tractor.    :good:

That should have solved the problem!

N.B. Never argue with a chap with a tractor.

The only thing that can be said with certainty is that the guy knows that the land does not belong to him. It is quite possible/highly likely that he couldn't care less who owns it. We've already seen (read) the possibility for trouble resulting from a casual chat. Knock on door, briefly explain the reason for the set back gate, ask him not to park there again and walk away. If that fails wait until you have no need for several days of however many vehicles it takes to block him in and do so. One point, is your gate anti lift proofed?

The other one was a Farmer friend of mine who was constantly badgered for some straw, he repeatedly told the woman requesting the straw to grab a bag and help herself.

Well after about six requests, he took a one tone bale and dropped it on their drive.

I wonder how much straw a guinea pig needs?

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

The only thing that can be said with certainty is that the guy knows that the land does not belong to him. It is quite possible/highly likely that he couldn't care less who owns it. We've already seen (read) the possibility for trouble resulting from a casual chat. Knock on door, briefly explain the reason for the set back gate, ask him not to park there again and walk away. If that fails wait until you have no need for several days of however many vehicles it takes to block him in and do so. One point, is your gate anti lift proofed?

Indeed.  He's lived there about 3 years and I've never spoken to him.  If I'm driving out and he's at the front of his house and I give a quick wave, it's almost never reciprocated. 

How do you mean by anti lift proofed?   It is a bespoke gate made by an engineer we know and was designed with security in mind.   A telehandler or other large plant machine could knock it down, but it couldn't be lifted by people.  

54 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

Sounds like you are getting 'bullied' for being a decent, but quiet chap 🤔

Talking to these neighbours nicely with a smile, while still making a point is the way forward 😉

3 minutes ago, JKD said:

Sounds like you are getting 'bullied' for being a decent, but quiet chap 🤔

Talking to these neighbours nicely with a smile, while still making a point is the way forward 😉

That's funny as I've just posted in the Bully thread started by Scully. 

Yeah, we've always been a quiet family.  Perhaps too quiet, my Dad is even worse than me.  He doesn't like any sort of confrontation and has this method of not dealing with minor issues (in his eyes) like this with the hope that in turn none of our neighbours will complain about any of our activities.  Kind of an unspoken, you scratch my back I'll scratch yours.  

But it doesn't always work out for the best.  

1 hour ago, Shadowchaser said:

Indeed.  He's lived there about 3 years and I've never spoken to him.  If I'm driving out and he's at the front of his house and I give a quick wave, it's almost never reciprocated. 

How do you mean by anti lift proofed?   It is a bespoke gate made by an engineer we know and was designed with security in mind.   A telehandler or other large plant machine could knock it down, but it couldn't be lifted by people.  

Sounds as though yours is. Most farms have more than one road exit so it would be no good blocking him in if he could 'open' the gate, drive through and exit somewhere else. No good for the hardline lurcher boys, but for the odd casual poacher the gate bolt backed up with a padlock and chain and with one hinge up-side-down is the usual method.

As others have said go and have a chat with him and explain the need for large vehicles to turn into the driveway, the vast majority of people are very amenable, probably doesn't even realise it's private land. Maybe also point out that any damage that may occur probably won't be covered on his insurance as they tend to not get involved in that kind of scenario, obviously as long as it's not malicious.

Atb Scobydog

Just now, scobydog said:

As others have said go and have a chat with him and explain the need for large vehicles to turn into the driveway, the vast majority of people are very amenable, probably doesn't even realise it's private land. Maybe also point out that any damage that may occur probably won't be covered on his insurance as they tend to not get involved in that kind of scenario, obviously as long as it's not malicious.

Atb Scobydog

I can surmise that in his mind he thinks by doing it on a Sunday it isn't a problem, which it isn't for the occasions he's done it so far.  It's just one of those things that if left unchecked for any longer will become a habit, and having a word with him any later than now will seem wrong. 

If you are on this site i am taking it you are a shooter speak first even if it gets to the stage where you inform the police because if he  says you threatened him  your gun safe will emptied in a hart beat and questioned after be careful  

Edited by Rim Fire

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Sounds as though yours is. Most farms have more than one road exit so it would be no good blocking him in if he could 'open' the gate, drive through and exit somewhere else. No good for the hardline lurcher boys, but for the odd casual poacher the gate bolt backed up with a padlock and chain and with one hinge up-side-down is the usual method.

I see what you mean, but no he wouldn't be able to do that.  

I'm still baffled as to why he is doing it in the first place.  Had it just been for twenty minutes on one occasion I wouldn't do anything (yet), but for two Sundays in a row for several hours. Hmm. 

Just now, Rim Fire said:

If you are on this site i am taking it you are a shooter speak first even if it gets to the stage where you inform the police because if says you threatened him  your gun safe will emptied in a hart beat and questioned after be careful  

Duly noted, and another reason why I try and stay non confrontational with the neighbours.