Charity shop

Bigbob

I headed up to Perth think there's 11 charity shops to  check them out and buy any hunting , shooting or fishing books . Found one called Push charity reuse shop all books 50pence got a load of hunting and shooting books must of spent £15 never heard of it before but i think i will be back 

I love a good old charity shop rummage. 
Usually only the small/local based ones as the big ‘chains’ farm all the decent stuff off to their online or London outlets . 

a friend buys books and dvds and will then return them when purchasing the next lot 

I do remember when 400 students spent 2 weeks in Tenby. 
we had to speak to the local constabulary to let them know it wasn’t some form of protest group. 
the charity shops were bare and would ask what theme nights were coming so they could stock from other outlets. 
- duff shirt night

- Hawaii shirt night

- country night

- bright night

amongst others. 

the local night club opened especially and said they took more in a night than they would do all weekend 

Edited by ph5172

Even the charity shops are putting up there prices £2 ,£3 for a book so i couldn't believe it 50Pence any book . But first thing i do when getting home is check the titles on ebay and seeing what they go for i usually do okay but sometimes you get a surprise in what there worth 

Even the charity shops check prices before pricing up there donations and putting it on the shelves yet i have still saw i guy checking out the bar codes on books and buying them to resale , and last week a guy was going threw the jewelry  with a eye glass checking for marks to see if any of it was gold . Just a sign of the times i am afraid 

Like others i've done alright in charity shops, some great fishing and fieldsports book, a game bag with a broken front strap, bought a belt at the same shop for 20p and used it repair the game bag! Fishing reels, traditional cork floats, some nice drinking glasses and my favourite tea mug! 

23 hours ago, Bigbob said:

I headed up to Perth think there's 11 charity shops to  check them out and buy any hunting , shooting or fishing books . Found one called Push charity reuse shop all books 50pence got a load of hunting and shooting books must of spent £15 never heard of it before but i think i will be back 

What titles did you get?

Phil Drabble Country Matters, Country Moods and Country Scene

The Game Cook Book Clarissa and Johnny 

Urban Fox  Rodwate 

Retriever Training Scales  

Jack Russell terrier Valentine

The Venison Cook Dalton  

The foragers Kitchen Bird 

Smoking food at home with smokey Joe

Training Birds Of Prey Jemma Parry Jones

And for myself 

No Plan B lee Child 

How The Countryside Made Me  Matt Baker 

I also got a few pitt bull books but i think i will sell them on as i bought Ahead of the game by Simon Whitehead and Chris Rea but it cost me £50 plus postage  but it completes all Simon Whitehead books 

Tomorrow heading for Glenrothes centre and do the Charity shops lunch and home to pick up grandson  but The Help For Hero's is by far the best there book wise 

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Phil Drabble Country Matters, Country Moods and Country Scene

The Game Cook Book Clarissa and Johnny 

Urban Fox  Rodwate 

Retriever Training Scales  

Jack Russell terrier Valentine

The Venison Cook Dalton  

The foragers Kitchen Bird 

Smoking food at home with smokey Joe

Training Birds Of Prey Jemma Parry Jones

And for myself 

No Plan B lee Child 

How The Countryside Made Me  Matt Baker 

I also got a few pitt bull books but i think i will sell them on as i bought Ahead of the game by Simon Whitehead and Chris Rea but it cost me £50 plus postage  but it completes all Simon Whitehead books 

Tomorrow heading for Glenrothes centre and do the Charity shops lunch and home to pick up grandson  but The Help For Hero's is by far the best there book wise 

Some good ones there

I am not sure if I am a collector or a hoarder, I was trying to get the kids to list them alphabetically in order of hunting, shooting,fishing, ferreting  etc ,,, but they told me they had a life and to beat it, but i'll have the last laugh when they need to sort them out if they want the inheritance,  :)

Even the earth dog running dog is a complete set with a few spares  :) 

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

2 hours ago, Bigbob said:

I am not sure if I am a collector or a hoarder, I was trying to get the kids to list them alphabetically in order of hunting, shooting,fishing, ferreting  etc ,,, but they told me they had a life and to beat it, but i'll have the last laugh when they need to sort them out if they want the inheritance, 

Even the earth dog running dog is a complete set with a few spares   

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

b6.jpg

Only if they pay attention they will probably see books as a thing old people have with no value 

it’ll go into a skip or charity shop if you’re lucky and someone one here in the future will get a bargain 

They are only interested in there money value , Cant remember how it started but my son says when your gone i will take your books to which the daughter replied no chance i know what's up there and what there worth . It no just kids though adults dont buy books like they used to more read on a pad etc no holding a heavy book or store it afterwards cheaper too 

On 12/06/2023 at 16:52, Bigbob said:

You still have a VHS recorder? If so have videos you can have 

I still have shooting and fishing videos that I enjoy watching. Some contain footage taken by my Daughters, of game shoots that I was on. Unfortunately a lot of the guns are no longer with us, but it is nice to reflect back on occasionally. 

Edited by Westley

I like putting a dvd on my laptop rather than watch tv , Well the boss always seems to have some **** reality show on 

We went to take boxes of stuff back to the charity shops yesterday and none would take Dvds or Cds and only a few books not the boxes of dvds and cds i was offering but they snatched up the baby clothes 

We where in a kids  charity shop the other week and a guy bought in stuff the counter assistant is it all kids stuff ? Then she gets the manager is it all kids stuff ? are all the bits there ? ,The guys offering a Scalextric set and they wouldn't take it as they couldn't check it was all there . I nearly said i will have it but the wee mans only 3 so i doubt he would use it