old man

The Shetland Islanders have been looking at something similar since 2020 even including The Orkneys in uniting the Island groups into greater self determination. Bang goes Scotlands oil revenues  in their independence arguments.

i believe there is also an undercurrant of these islands going for independance then asking to become part of Norway ...either as a protectorate or soveriegn terrotory....

this undercurrant has been about for many years

(also the same with America and Ireland...becoming a USA state...........good luck with that one )

11 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You wouldn't want to live there. Nice idea in principal but the reality is grim

Agreed.  Like most small islands, transport is a big factor pushing up price and increasing delivery delays/uncertainty.  Weather can be very inhospitable - wet and windy, and although being surrounded by sea and low in altitude keeps the hardest frosts limited, overall it is cold. 

Lovely place to visit on good days in summer, but long winters - well grim is the right word.

9 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Agreed.  Like most small islands, transport is a big factor pushing up price and increasing delivery delays/uncertainty.  Weather can be very inhospitable - wet and windy, and although being surrounded by sea and low in altitude keeps the hardest frosts limited, overall it is cold. 

Lovely place to visit on good days in summer, but long winters - well grim is the right word.

you know its grim as the vilkings needed councilling.........and they invented the hot water bottle

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you know its grim as the vilkings needed councilling.........and they invented the hot water bottle

Orkney, Shetland and Northern Scotland have loads of viking settlements. 

Beats me how anyone could rock up on a boat, look round and think

"Mmmm this is nice, think we will stay here..."

But they could stay safely because their settlement there would be unopposed by other, tougher, vikings.

9 minutes ago, Dougy said:

I knew people that moved there from the Midlands after  spending weeks holidays there. They lasted a few years but moved back to their original location. They found it too remote. 

My cousin and her husband live in an off grid croft right on the north coast of Scotland and when I say its bleak I mean bleak.

But they like it, wouldn't suit me. 

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

My cousin and her husband live in an off grid croft right on the north coast of Scotland and when I say its bleak I mean bleak.

But they like it, wouldn't suit me. 

a few years ago there was a really radicle social experiment where 20 couples took over and island and lived a debauched life style.....it ended up as a continous partner swapping where they ended up bonking themselves senceless and drinking womans wee.....the experiment ended up with 85% of the dewellers ened up with gonereur and sypherlis..............it was filmed on a early channel 4 docudrama............very off the wall..........

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

a few years ago there was a really radicle social experiment where 20 couples took over and island and lived a debauched life style.....it ended up as a continous partner swapping where they ended up bonking themselves senceless and drinking womans wee.....the experiment ended up with 85% of the dewellers ened up with gonereur and sypherlis..............it was filmed on a early channel 4 docudrama............very off the wall..........

And you were in there?

It’s bad form to get rid of unwanted wedding presents (publicly anyway). Perhaps a broken toaster if no one’s looking…..🙂. Orkney and ‘Zetland’ were gifted to King James IV by Denmark for his wedding. 

P.S I can’t imaging many natives speak Norwegian…..?!

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

That Ben Fogle one LOL LOL 

6 hours ago, Dougy said:

I knew people that moved there from the Midlands after  spending weeks holidays there. They lasted a few years but moved back to their original location. They found it too remote. 

Same here a few families from Edinburgh moved for the peace and quite within a few years they all where back , apart from one and he reckoned he was a warlock and moved for the solar seasons