Iceland

Ricko

Hi, I've just booked some cheap flights to Iceland in October, I'm there for six nights, travelling on my own.

Anyone been recently?

What's the best way of getting around?

The 'must see' sights, things to avoid etc.

Cheers

Been 4/5 years since we've been, don't know where you are staying but if you are wanting to go on a northern lights trip book it for for the first or second night, most companies offer a second trip free of charge (or they did) if you don't see them on the first trip.

When we went they had huge snow storms, we thought that was normal out there but nope it was exceptionally bad, we just didn’t know any better. 

We tried to drive the golden circle with our hire car which was supposed to be a 4x4 but they gave us a saloon, and ended up stuck in a snow drift!! 

Thankfully the locals are very nice and a bloke turned up with a shovel and helped me dig us out. 

Check the weather for that time of year and if you book a 4x4 make sure you get one. 

We booked a “super monster truck” or something to see the Northern lights and thought it was much better than the coach load of people who couldn’t get up onto the mountains like we could. 
The driver also gave me a load of his homemade moonshine which helps see lights 🤣

See the Icelandic ponies they were cool, and some of the bud tours going around are good. The lagoon is ok, worth a visit for sure, taking swimming gear as they do a lot.

We also went ice diving between two tectonic plates in proper ice water, which was awesome, you’re in a dry suit and it’s so cold you don’t feel it 🤣 I would do it again for sure 👍🏻

Oh also the Perlan is well worth a visit 

13ACFB69-8ACD-45CF-9400-B188C9A2C25C.png

64C92BEB-CAC3-478E-8F52-BF82512787BA.jpeg

50187E4C-B30B-4735-86AE-722D2EEDAE6F.png

Blue Lagoon is a must - I could have stayed in there all day, despite the weather being very windy.

We took a minibus tour of a few sites - Geysers, waterfalls, etc, some of which were truly breathtaking, as was the scenery on the journey.

We also went on a Northern Lights trip and were lucky enough to get a good viewing, although it isn’t quite as spectacular as the long-exposure photos suggest.

Hard Rock Cafe in Reykyavik proved to be as cheap as anywhere else to eat, and very good it was (Jumbo Combo.. mmm)

When I say “Cheap”, nothing is cheap 😂 But most restaurant food is similarly priced wherever you go.

43 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

When I went I found the best way to get around was to follow the signs in the aisles ( pizzas, ready meals etc) one thing I'd definitely avoid is the crispy pancakes and the chicken and mushroom pies don't look stunning...

Food warehouse has more space and choice though 😂

Iceland is on our to do list, Looks like its getting lively there geologically, Big earthquake swarm started yesterday in Fagradalsfall volcano & is ongoing,

Link to earthquake map updated regularly, https://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/,

This you tube channel gives a good overview as well, looks like the island is building up to a sizeable eruption in near future,

,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-51t7DqZA&t=183s&ab_channel=JustIcelandic

4 hours ago, Keith 66 said:

Iceland is on our to do list, Looks like its getting lively there geologically, Big earthquake swarm started yesterday in Fagradalsfall volcano & is ongoing,

Link to earthquake map updated regularly, https://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/,

This you tube channel gives a good overview as well, looks like the island is building up to a sizeable eruption in near future,

,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La-51t7DqZA&t=183s&ab_channel=JustIcelandic

As is possible with Yellowstone; and if that goes pop!.................

7 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

And the "activists" are on about the relatively miniscule carbon footprint of the UK.  🐂 

The little reported Holruhraun eruption in Iceland started at the end of August 2014 & ended in February 2015, in that time it emitted 1 km3 of lava, not a lot in the grand scheme of things. But the Co2 & So2 it spewed out was equivalent to the emissions of every car, aircraft, ship & all the industry in western Europe for approx ten years.

On 04/07/2023 at 02:09, dead eye alan said:

Avoid the rotten shark meat its rancid!

Absolutely there is nothing brave about eating even a sliver and wanting to throw up for 24 hours.

I found the power station with the hot water system fascinating. I would have loved to get the the pink foot nesting grounds but did not have time

We done a glacier tour in which you snow mobiled up the glazier then went down a tunnel into the actual glazier, where there was a  church carved out and a beutiful Icelandic girl who had an opera style voice sang for us. A brilliant experience.

We done the usuals, out looking for the lights, two nights which was dissapointing.

As for food the rather ''hipster'' getting lamb/mutton soup in a bread bowl is a very heartening dish on a cold crispy november day.

Some of the street art in Reykjavik is class. And lots of brilliant taxidermy on display in lots of shop windows.

I managed to tickle a trout out of a crystal clear stream, much to the delight of the group we where in,whilst out looking for waterfalls. I was able to lay down on some decking and managed to get one of a pair that was sitting in the stream. I wasn't able to hold onto it, but flicked it out onto the decking. I have a photo somewhere that the missus took of me laying flat out on the decking.

Screenshot_20230706-212717_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230706-213041_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230707-132510_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230706-213316_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230707-132532_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230707-132754_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230707-132709_Gallery.jpg

Booked a hire car for 7 days £165, I thought that a good price.

Booked hostels around the island, average £30

Booked The Blue Lagoon, horse riding, power station visit.

Planned a route to include South Shore, Golden Circle, Snaefell peninsula.