Will it catch on

Centrepin

Haven't seen Mr Digweed for a while and to be honest I thought at first it was an enlarged Elton John , possibly the best shot in the world but he need to knock off a few of those unwanted pounds . couldn't really get to interested in the vid but no doubt a lot of people will try it out .

Just an paid add for Aimpoint... 

It goes against everything you will have been taught in how to shoot a shotgun. You don't ever really look at the bead just mount, get the target in your sight picture with whatever lead you perceive you need and pull the trigger. If the gun fits and all that then you should hit what you're shooting at. 

It could be useful on a semi or pump using slugs for wild boar or driven large game like they have in the Nordics but no use in the UK IMO.   

It'll be as useful as ShotKam for ongoing training and support!

I was a bit disappointed in the video, I am assuming Aimpoint paid for George to be there and review etc. I'd have rathered JC and GD did something different than advertise a product. I am ok with product placement and trying out new toys, and calling a spade a spade. At least JC is honest with what it is rather than "ooooo best shotgun in the world.... is it Browning or Miroku, or only stock in my shop?".

I wouldn't use this and I don't think it would have helped as a new shooter. If you get used to it and shoot well, how do you then take it off if it's a crutch? I am not sure the CPSA would allow that on registered comps as they don't allow shotkam!

Nothing replaces practice and tuition, and I don't think this will. I am sure it'll look good in a load of peoples kit bag though!

40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Haven't seen Mr Digweed for a while and to be honest I thought at first it was an enlarged Elton John , possibly the best shot in the world but he need to knock off a few of those unwanted pounds . couldn't really get to interested in the vid but no doubt a lot of people will try it out .

He’s lost a lot already

10 minutes ago, Westley said:

These things first surfaced some 40 years ago, they never caught on then either  !

True - and I tried one then (though it was a much simpler and quite cheap perspex item and fixed on with a stickly pad I think).  The only 'help' it gave me was in showing me when my left eye was trying to take over (the coloured dot could only be seen through the right eye and so vanished as the left eye took over) - and I cleared that up by learning just to 'blink' the left eye as I mount the gun.

£75 that would be better spent on a few boxes of cartridges.

Edited by JohnfromUK

24 minutes ago, Westley said:

These things first surfaced some 40 years ago, they never caught on then either  !

This! 
My memory says early 1970’s. Shooting was going to be revolutionised, but it wasn’t. 

The ‘single point’ caught a few beginners then and it will catch a few now.

Just now, London Best said:

The ‘single point’ caught a few beginners then

Yes, I fell for it then - but it was inexpensive (a piece of perspex rod about 1 1/2" long on a black plastic support).  I'm guessing it was around the price of a box of 25 cartridges then.

I used a red dot (it was a circle actually - better ) on my first shot gun   It really helped with line and lead etc .but the red would often lose zero and was hard to see in bright light and took too much of your eye in low light .

My scope was relatively  cheap but worked for me .eventually  I took it off to try without and found I could shoot well enough  and had non of the zeroing  etc issues .

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

He’s lost a lot already

THANKS for that , if that was the case then he must have been a very big boy , saw him at one of the game fairs I went to a few years ago and he was certainly a crowd puller , the same as Mr Bidwell would also draw the crowds with his trick shooting .

I can remember the previous so called Red Dot that was going to change peoples shooting habits for the better , but did it ? , as how many shooters at the time were focassed on the new gadjet rather than the species he / she were aiming at .

Another item I could never see any point investing any serious money on was the tracer cartridge , did that help many people ? , I very much doubt it .

40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another item I could never see any point investing any serious money on was the tracer cartridge , did that help many people ? , I very much doubt it .

Again, they were not cheap as cartridges, but not silly to try (box of 5 for around £5 I think).  They were quite useful at limited range to show beginners the need to 'lead' I think.  Useless at longer ranges because the 'tracer' pellet didn't stay in pattern.  I have seen clays broken where the tracer pellet was a good way off ........

One of my shooting associates has recently bought a Shotkam camera which is fitted on his gun. He has recorded some excellent footage too. The problem is he now calls "Camera Action" instead of pull and when he tried to take a 'group' photo, we all hit the deck   !    😄

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Again, they were not cheap as cartridges, but not silly to try (box of 5 for around £5 I think).  They were quite useful at limited range to show beginners the need to 'lead' I think.  Useless at longer ranges because the 'tracer' pellet didn't stay in pattern.  I have seen clays broken where the tracer pellet was a good way off ........

The only time we ever put them to the test was my local wildfowling club used to run a small clay shoot on the odd Sunday morning , this was a friendly affair and it wasn't unusual for someone to knock the odd Wood pigeon down while waiting to call pull , the safety and reg rules were stuck to but that was about it , this was at the time the can launcers came out and we thought they were more exciting than the clay pigeons , this might had been the start and one of the reasons I never had to much interest in clay pigeon shooting, we would fire the odd tracer cartridge at a clay that most people missed and no one was any wiser after a flash went in the general direction of the clay and that was it , the next clay was still missed so that wasn't the answer to bad shooting :lol: 

Not again . Red Dot and all its decedents . Basically its a device to part money from the gullible by telling you to put a rifle/ pistol site on your shot gun  .

When clays/pigeons/ pheasants  stop still in the air, I'm sure it will be very useful ..

As a training aid ,provided it is set up correctly ,this alone will take some time and patience , to the specific gun ,then fine it will show where the shot should be going ,but it will not help with lead or your swing speeds and follow through .

Shooting a shotgun requires skill and practice that have to be learnt . Trouble is so many people think that gadgets , add ons and gold plated chokes will circumvent this .