Car insurance renewal

Chukar

I paid ~£800 last year for comprehensive cover. Now my renewal date is approaching fast and I just got an email from insurer that they are happy to renew my policy for a mere £1857!!!!

I expected something between 10-20% increase but they want more than double!

Anyway, back to gocompare to find hopefully a much cheaper policy.

Edited by Chukar

Insurance is something that should be officially regulated.  It’s just an unregulated jungle.  Usually we  change every year BUT we have stayed with Saga for the house insurance for I think is the third year because they have kept the premium the same AND this year it actually went down a few quid. They cover everything including guns and  jewelry within the policy with no conditions or query.   The vehicles are a jungle. You can't compare any policies because they're all  different.   I do USE the comparison sites to  give a marker price BUT then contact the company.  Merkats et al don't do it for nothing.  You can get the same cover considerably cheaper by going direct to the insurer and cutting out the middleman.  It ain't difficult. 

17 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It cost me £10 to insure this fully comp with commuting this year. Insurance has never been so cheap for me. It’s about time too. Shop around, always! 

Who with?

CVI, (cherished Vehicle Insurance) 

got all my modern vehicles on a separate policy with them too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2023 at 20:51, Minky said:

Insurance is something that should be officially regulated.  It’s just an unregulated jungle.  Usually we  change every year BUT we have stayed with Saga for the house insurance for I think is the third year because they have kept the premium the same AND this year it actually went down a few quid. They cover everything including guns and  jewelry within the policy with no conditions or query.   The vehicles are a jungle. You can't compare any policies because they're all  different.   I do USE the comparison sites to  give a marker price BUT then contact the company.  Merkats et al don't do it for nothing.  You can get the same cover considerably cheaper by going direct to the insurer and cutting out the middleman.  It ain't difficult. 

I have just got our house insurance renewal through this morning from Saga and like you, they have reduced it by a few pounds. I suppose that I could shop around a bit but then the small print has to be fully analysed to make sure it`s like for like, so keeping with Saga for another year. Perhaps they believe in customer loyalty :hmm:

OB

My renewal just came through for £23 more than last year. 
Sounds good? 
Except that the broker has (tried) to place me with a different company to keep the price down. 
Still sounding good? 
Until you read the small print and the new insurer have quoted an excess of £5,000 instead of the £125 of the previous company. 
That’s about as much use as T*TS to a nun. 
Warch out for this trick on your renewals.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year my insurance was £273 my renewal came in at £409 a increase of £136 i knew it was going to rise but i called them up and got it down to  £318.43 a increase of just £45 then they said they no longer require the tracker to be fitted i will leave it on the car but no renewing that is a saving of another £100 a year 

I've been lazy for a couple of years and just let my insurance auto renew.  I got the renewal letter a couple of days ago and it was increasing from £350 to £470.  I thought it was time to do a comparison so fired the details into compare the market and got a quote of £227  with the same company (Swinton) that I'm currently insured with.  I know there's no such thig as rewarding loyalty anymore, but it was a good reminder that 10 minutes spent every renewal time can save you a decent chunk of cash.

18 hours ago, Jonty said:

I've been lazy for a couple of years and just let my insurance auto renew.  I got the renewal letter a couple of days ago and it was increasing from £350 to £470.  I thought it was time to do a comparison so fired the details into compare the market and got a quote of £227  with the same company (Swinton) that I'm currently insured with.  I know there's no such thig as rewarding loyalty anymore, but it was a good reminder that 10 minutes spent every renewal time can save you a decent chunk of cash.

I normally change my insurance every year but the last two years I had been with the R A C , last year I got my quote in and it was only a few quid more than the cheapest on the comparrison sites so to save swapping them over I kept with the R A C , then this year what a contrast , last year it was £239.85 , this year it had jumped up £495.71 with all details exactly the same and the car itself had gone down a bit in value , needless to say I cancelled it and just insured my ( new ) car which is worth around 6k more than my old one for around £350 , I also paid an extra £45 for road side and get you home breakdown service which brought it up to around £400 , loyalty don't no longer come into play . MM

On 29/08/2023 at 10:31, London Best said:

My renewal just came through for £23 more than last year. 
Sounds good? 
Except that the broker has (tried) to place me with a different company to keep the price down. 
Still sounding good? 
Until you read the small print and the new insurer have quoted an excess of £5,000 instead of the £125 of the previous company. 
That’s about as much use as T*TS to a nun. 
Warch out for this trick on your renewals.

I would be having a short conversation with that broker !

On 15/08/2023 at 20:51, Minky said:

Well good luck with Saga if you have a problem. I used them, had a roof damaged in a storm some years ago, their assessor came out and said "Well it's a old house built in 1913 so as the roof is old we won't be paying out." Cheap is cheap yes. But when if you claim they then don't pay out it works out an expensive lesson.

Meerkats, Go Compare and Etc. are what the insurance trade call "aggregators" and usually charge a £35 commission on the premium which the underwriter pays to them for the introduction. So yes you can try these web actors and then call the insurance company they try to link you too directly.  Me? I use a local man in an office who is an old fashioned broker. 

Edited by enfieldspares

48 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Well good luck with Saga if you have a problem. I used them, had a roof damaged in a storm some years ago, their assessor came out and said "Well it's a old house built in 1913 so as the roof is old we won't be paying out." Cheap is cheap yes. But when if you claim they then don't pay out it works out an expensive lesson.

Meerkats, Go Compare and Etc. are what the insurance trade call "aggregators" and usually charge a £35 commission on the premium which the underwriter pays to them for the introduction. So yes you can try these web actors and then call the insurance company they try to link you too directly.  Me? I use a local man in an office who is an old fashioned broker. 

Interesting point about not getting anything for your roof repair due to it being a ole house , you would think they would know how ole it was when you first took out the policy , they were quick enough in taking the payment but not so quick in paying something back .

I had a similar situation where they backed out of paying for a repair , our ole house was built before your one and the insurance was quite high as we were in a flood area although we hadn't had a flood since 1953 , anyhow , in the 1980s we got a lot of very windy conditions with the worst one being in 1988 when where I worked they classed it as a Vortex which done 1000s of pounds worth of damage , my house was alright apart from some loose brickwork at the top of a single flue stack on the gable end , at the time I had never clamied a penny off any insurance company and I thought well let them pay for it as that was the reason I took out house insurance , filled the forms in and I had to get two quotes , I asked them if I could take it down for the same money and they said no , we will only pay for the repair , fair enough but as both the quotes were from family related members we were going to take it down anyway , all sorted , or so we thought , the next time we heard from them they said they would only pay 80% of the quote as we were 20% under insured and at the time we had a council mogtage with a built in insurance , so the council hadn't kept in line with house price rises , in the end we were in for a fight and got back in touch with the insurance and told them the loose bricks that fell off had damaged some tiles on the bathroom roof below and the builders will get it sorted for x number of pounds so we ended up being on the right side , that was in the 80s and I haven't made a claim on either house or car insurance since , I now only take out car insurance as it is against the law not to have it , and my house insurance as I couldn't afford another one if for any reason we lost it .

• 3 weeks later...