Old Boggy

Just wondered whether other members have any sporting pub signs in their area.

The first one showing what could be described as a puntgunner but not too much realism on the illustration of the punt or gun come to that.

The second one is from a local pub which sadly has been razed to the ground.

A free Old Boggy bottle opener to the first person who can tell me the location of both pubs.

OB

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

22 minutes ago, amateur said:

Seasalter and Cliffsend?

Is the right answer:good:

PM me your address and I`ll get an OBBO in the post.

OB

19 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Two good breweries though Chris.   :good:

The second one was originally Fremlins, then taken over by Sheps, the oldest brewers in the country I believe.

Two very nice signs Chris and the top one would look nice in my lounge , there must 100s that are connected with field sports throughout the country with possibly shooting connected signs at the top of the list , next door to the auction rooms at Gaywood in Kings Lynn there is one called the Wildfowler and another one a few miles out of Lynn also called the Wildfowler , also we have one or two in Norfolk called the The Dog And Partridge and no doubt just about every county have also got one called the same , or did have as the little pubs around this way are closing down virtually every week .   MM

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You should use them more!   :cool1:

The only pint I have now is at a wildfowlers meeting and at the shoot meal at the end of the game season as I haven't drank for a good number of years now , the pub where the G Y W A was formed was at the end of my road and most of the blokes who used it were shooting men , that got knocked down and four houses were built on the site , then the club moved to another pub that was on the edge of the village , that is now a Pizza place , another one we went to was called The White Swan is now a fish and chip shop and the list go on and on , it is now at a club house at a football ground . :drinks:

On 14/10/2023 at 14:52, Old Boggy said:

Just wondered whether other members have any sporting pub signs in their area.

The first one showing what could be described as a puntgunner but not too much realism on the illustration of the punt or gun come to that.

The second one is from a local pub which sadly has been razed to the ground.

A free Old Boggy bottle opener to the first person who can tell me the location of both pubs.

OB

IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3862.JPG

The punt is a fair representation of the type used on the fen washes and on some parts of the essex coast.

'Fox and Hounds' is quite common in this part of the country, and again, I know of at least one 'The Pheasant'.  There are also a number of 'Golden Heart' (spelled that way as in pump for blood), but I think in the past many were 'Golden Hart' (as in stag).  There was a 'The Gunbarrels' in Birmingham, not in the gun quarter, but on the Bristol Road not far from Westley Richard's old location and near the University.

On 15/10/2023 at 08:23, Westley said:

We have 'The Pheasant' and the 'Dog and Gun' in the area.

Also the 'Hare and Hounds'

They removed the old sign many years back and replaced it with a new one with a hare sat opposite a hound.

Below is an old picture. (no changes as per copyright)

Cannot post up a new one as copyright.

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Attribution: Tom Pennington
You are free:
  • to share – to copy, distribute and transmit the work
  • to remix – to adapt the work
Under the following conditions:
  • attribution – You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
  • share alike – If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same or compatible license as the original.

Hare_and_Hounds,_Maghull_-_geograph.org.uk_-_338356.jpg

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

Near to me, there was the Hare & Hounds, now houses. The Deerstalker, now a trendy gym, The Sportsman, now a Co-op.

The sad decline of the old English pub CP. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

There is a Hare and Hounds in my home town, and there was a White Hart hotel, sadly now standing derelict. 

Shows how popular following the hounds was back in the day as many 'ale houses' took their names from a social gathering meeting place for a particular passion, or a inn which had sold certain wares at that site among other things such as a local quirk.

The pub I have posted about above was on the main carriage way from Liverpool to Southport and stands on the site of a much older inn. I was told many years ago by a local novice historian that it was named the 'hare and greyhound'. As it sits right on the border of the next parish which held 'the' most famous hare coursing meets in the country from the early 1800's, there could be more than a grain of truth in this.

The local area also held beagle meets in this parish but the hare coursing was far more popular. This parish which was historically in Lancashire's fertile plains changed to Merseyside in the mid 70's under a border expansion.

In the early 80's I joined the local fishing club that used to meet in the function room in the upstairs of that pub. I can still remember it now, the ceiling and walls were so cigarette tar stained that it looked like they were varnished and that smell of stale beer mixed in with it. Wonderful Times!

Some great names above for sporting pubs , now what about some unusual names that would have a countryside or sporting link , we had a pub in the market place called , The Two Neck Swan , another on the Broads called , The Ells Foot Inn and an ole one where I was born was called , The Gauping Gull .

Another pub is called The Rat Catchers , this was named after the Rat catchers met outside the pub and sold the tails for 1d each to the council chaps to prove they had been doing there job , this was in the 19th century .

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Some great names above for sporting pubs , now what about some unusual names that would have a countryside or sporting link , we had a pub in the market place called , The Two Neck Swan , another on the Broads called , The Ells Foot Inn and an ole one where I was born was called , The Gauping Gull .

Another pub is called The Rat Catchers , this was named after the Rat catchers met outside the pub and sold the tails for 1d each to the council chaps to prove they had been doing there job , this was in the 19th century .

Hi MM

Ate in a pub down south once called 'THE COCK AND SPUR' and the sign had some old style fighting cockerels on it if I recall.

What's the chance it called something else now as to stifle 'OUR ENGLISHNESS' LOL!

I don't know about a sporting link but surely the oddest named pub I ever did see was whilst I was delivering a freezer in the mid 90's over in Manchester and passed a pub called 'THE PIG AND BALLBEARING'. I still wonder to this day where that name was derived from?

We have (had) two ‘White Harts’ within just over a mile of each other. One is still going strong, the other now houses since about three years ago. 
Three miles away we have a ‘Mallard’. 
About fifteen miles away there was a pub which was originally two pubs next door to each other on a corner. This was known as They a Fox and Hounds and Jinglers’. Sadly no longer.

2 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Hi MM

Ate in a pub down south once called 'THE COCK AND SPUR' and the sign had some old style fighting cockerels on it if I recall.

What's the chance it called something else now as to stifle 'OUR ENGLISHNESS' LOL!

I don't know about a sporting link but surely the oddest named pub I ever did see was whilst I was delivering a freezer in the mid 90's over in Manchester and passed a pub called 'THE PIG AND BALLBEARING'. I still wonder to this day where that name was derived from?

Probably kept the first bit and changed the spelling to 'Spare'  !

I forgot about the Hairy Hounds and we go there quite often too 🙄