Credit to BASC

B725

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The Story of the 'Homer Simpson Backs Into the Bushes' Meme

@ninjaferret , you are obviously an anti shooting troll, and likely related to Packham, you simply cant come on here and exercise your freely held opinion regarding BASC , Conor doesnt like it , and will call you out for your opinion every time.
BASC is the voice of shooting, and without it , we wouldnt even have guns, and without them holding him off , Packham would likely be PM.:lol:

As to the 'vocal minority' I suspect they are far more numerous than some would expect.
Shall we do a poll ?

You have never been more wrong. 

I have shot for in-excess of 47 years and still do near every day. 

I made one remark from experience and have been singled out others who raised a point have been left alone.

3 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

And my opinion is you seem to be one for holding grudges.  25years ***.

Why not invite your BASC rep up,  this century, to have a look at your  shoot and see if he can help you/offer any constructive feedback?  Worked for our DIY syndicate.

Not sure where raking over things from 25 years ago will get you, other than going round in circles.

Now Vodafone on the other hand, there's an organisation that's worth holding a generational grudge against.

I don't hold grudges thats your opinion. I made one comment based on my experience.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ninjaferret said:

I have spoken to Conor. I explained why i had my opinions, he explained his . We both agreed this should have been discussed in private messages and not aired as it was . 

This is the end of the matter.

I have to admit the man is a gentleman and listened to all i had to say. 

Thank you.

I agree and thank for your time on the phone and I would add that you too are a gentleman and listened to all I had to say. That is also the end of the matter for me.

1 hour ago, ninjaferret said:

You have never been more wrong. 

I have shot for in-excess of 47 years and still do near every day. 

I made one remark from experience and have been singled out others who raised a point have been left alone.

I don't hold grudges thats your opinion. I made one comment based on my experience.

He was being sarcastic!

I too have had a nigh on hour telephone conversation with Conor when the proposed phasing out of Lead was released, he took the time to contact me by Email and phoned me at an agreed time. I can't praise Conor enough for the time and effort he made to speak to me for nearly an hour to explain the reasoning behind the BASC's decision to do what they've done, he also listened to my opinions to which we agreed on some and disagreed on others. He obviously believes in the BASC by looking the time he's served with them. We've had 3 if not 4 BASC reps shoot beat and pick up over the last 25 years on our shoot all very genuine sporting people. the problems seem to start when some high up the food chain forgets the reason member pay there subs.

Edited by 8 shot

6 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

OK FACT 1

You are singling me out, because you don't like what i said. 

FACT 2 

There was one question i chose not to answer because the person was just been nosey

FACT 3

I posted my opinion based on my experience , it's called freedom of speech.

Yes i did say i'd email you but have chose not to , that's called my choice. If you'd like to PM me with your number i'll give you a call . 

Why was i being nosey ?

You put on a forum about an issue - but wont say what the issue was ?

You must see the irony ?

5 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

I have spoken to Conor. I explained why i had my opinions, he explained his . We both agreed this should have been discussed in private messages and not aired as it was . 

Thank you.

As above - good outcome 

5 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

Thank you.

I'm not an active fan of BASC, but not a basher either. I have opinions on most things, as we all do.

I don't always agree with Connor's agenda (which of course in turn is BASCs agenda), and sometimes find some of his posts inflammatory or appearing to be butthurt. But, as a representation of an organisation he will rarely win either way as it's a damned if you do or damned if you don't. 

I do however appreciate that he has had the decency to reach out and call, and sort out an issue privately. I have seen him offer this several times and respect that greatly.

Back on topic......

It's great the OP was assisted by BASC. I have only one negative experience and that related to me offering to volunteer my time to new shooters on behalf of BASC and basically having a brush off. But, if that's not on their agenda then that's me who felt it was negative, rather than it being negative. 
I don't agree with all their policies, but agree with many of them. I think we need to remove the "clay shooters should support game shooters even if it's to their detriment! One Team, boys" attitude and look at "how do we have a pragmatic voice that supports all shooters, and appreciates that sometimes disciplines conflict in their needs, and how we can use this to our advantage". That, and understanding that if we had a split where clay shooters can use lead and game shooters must use steel, that the disadvantaged side is just "happy" it's not a complete ban rather than "if we can't have it, why should they?". We need to be supportive and take the wins. I am sure there are examples the other way around, and as a poor example I do agree that clay shooters should help complete "game shooter only surveys" to support their fellow shooter.

JMHO.

14 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

I'm not an active fan of BASC, but not a basher either. I have opinions on most things, as we all do.

I don't always agree with Connor's agenda (which of course in turn is BASCs agenda), and sometimes find some of his posts inflammatory or appearing to be butthurt. But, as a representation of an organisation he will rarely win either way as it's a damned if you do or damned if you don't. 

I do however appreciate that he has had the decency to reach out and call, and sort out an issue privately. I have seen him offer this several times and respect that greatly.

Back on topic......

It's great the OP was assisted by BASC. I have only one negative experience and that related to me offering to volunteer my time to new shooters on behalf of BASC and basically having a brush off. But, if that's not on their agenda then that's me who felt it was negative, rather than it being negative. 
I don't agree with all their policies, but agree with many of them. I think we need to remove the "clay shooters should support game shooters even if it's to their detriment! One Team, boys" attitude and look at "how do we have a pragmatic voice that supports all shooters, and appreciates that sometimes disciplines conflict in their needs, and how we can use this to our advantage". That, and understanding that if we had a split where clay shooters can use lead and game shooters must use steel, that the disadvantaged side is just "happy" it's not a complete ban rather than "if we can't have it, why should they?". We need to be supportive and take the wins. I am sure there are examples the other way around, and as a poor example I do agree that clay shooters should help complete "game shooter only surveys" to support their fellow shooter.

JMHO.

I think you'll find a lot of clay shooters shoot game also, most of the top well known clay shooters are definitely game and pigeon shooters so they will be on our side  but yes there are staunch clay only shooters who need to get on-board 

1 hour ago, yickdaz said:

I think you'll find a lot of clay shooters shoot game also, most of the top well known clay shooters are definitely game and pigeon shooters so they will be on our side  but yes there are staunch clay only shooters who need to get on-board 

I think the bigger issue is getting game people to reply to game surveys also ;) Not enough respondents in any of them!

From my limited experience, I'd say only 5% max of those I shoot with actively do both game and clay. But that's my limited world.

3 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I think the bigger issue is getting game people to reply to game surveys also Not enough respondents in any of them!

From my limited experience, I'd say only 5% max of those I shoot with actively do both game and clay. But that's my limited world.

As Ive said previously, if only 5% of BASC members responded to the survey, thats an estimated 7500 possible respondents, yet BASC dont seem able to encourage any thing like this, never mind a more reasonable 25-50 % ?

Ive laid off this thread, and only came on to defend Ninjaferret, who seemed to garner a great deal of hostility for expressing his previous experience, and Im glad thats all sorted now.

BASC do some good work, thats undeniable, but dont seem to have much time to counter criticism in any reasonable way.
They have done some pretty silly things, but Ive never seen any BASC rep admit to this , never mind apologise to the membership.
Happy to be corrected on this BTW.

11 hours ago, HantsRob said:

I have only one negative experience and that related to me offering to volunteer my time to new shooters on behalf of BASC and basically having a brush off.

Don't let this one occasion put you off if you fancy doing it. It's worthwhile and you will enjoy it and especially with the youngsters. The thing to bear in mind is the fact that BASC don't mess about and whereas I don't know about all of their offerings, those that I am/was familiar with are all top notch. This is because all the instructors are selected/trained as appropriate to make sure as far as is possible that this is the case. I was a Honorary Field Office, Honorary Regional Education Development Officer (running the Proficiency Award Scheme in Norfolk) {which was renamed Hon. Education Officer} and Sporting Shotgun Shooting Coach. Unfortunately, I had a severe occupation hit and suffered a large drop in salary and the loss of various perks which meant I was forced to pack it all in. Although all legitimate expenses claimed were paid immediately and without any quibble, running around the country as part of Gerry Turner's Circus could prove somewhat costly. Not one of my team of instructors in Norfolk known as Technical officers never ever put in a claim which tells you something.

I have no idea of the current set up - although sighting the fees for the various offerings I imagine that instructors are now reimbursed whereas back in the day all of the instructors course fees (including the coaching course) and expenses were covered by BASC and we received no payment other than expenses when on BASC duty.

Worthwhile and enjoyable.

7 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Don't let this one occasion put you off if you fancy doing it. It's worthwhile and you will enjoy it and especially with the youngsters. The thing to bear in mind is the fact that BASC don't mess about and whereas I don't know about all of their offerings, those that I am/was familiar with are all top notch. This is because all the instructors are selected/trained as appropriate to make sure as far as is possible that this is the case. I was a Honorary Field Office, Honorary Regional Education Development Officer (running the Proficiency Award Scheme in Norfolk) {which was renamed Hon. Education Officer} and Sporting Shotgun Shooting Coach. Unfortunately, I had a severe occupation hit and suffered a large drop in salary and the loss of various perks which meant I was forced to pack it all in. Although all legitimate expenses claimed were paid immediately and without any quibble, running around the country as part of Gerry Turner's Circus could prove somewhat costly. Not one of my team of instructors in Norfolk known as Technical officers never ever put in a claim which tells you something.

I have no idea of the current set up - although sighting the fees for the various offerings I imagine that instructors are now reimbursed whereas back in the day all of the instructors course fees (including the coaching course) and expenses were covered by BASC and we received no payment other than expenses when on BASC duty.

Worthwhile and enjoyable.

Good for you 👍 It's a great thing to give something back to any sport or interest. Particularly so with getting youngsters engaged. More so in the current climate of computer games and virtual reality stuff.