Just bought a catapult

rayo

It’s been 50 years since I last used a catapult and totally out of the blue I thought I wouldn’t mind another one remembering the fun we had with catapults in the early 70s .  So browsing flea bay I’ve bought a used hedgerow hunter  Inow I’m quite looking forward to rekindling my childhood plinking cans in the woods 😁

Edited by rayo

I remember my Barnett Diablo. I used to pull the rubber back that far, even with the wrist support at times it would flick the wrist back knackering up the shot.

All great fun.

Rayo, keep us posted on your 'rubber bandypult' exploits.

27 minutes ago, Ratlegs said:

Mind your thumb hurts when you twang it

And the air turns blue! :lol:

2 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I remember my Barnett Diablo. I used to pull the rubber back that far, even with the wrist support at times it would flick the wrist back knackering up the shot.

All great fun.

Rayo, keep us posted on your 'rubber bandypult' exploits.

And the air turns blue! 

Also the nail :w00t:

Gosh. Takes me back. Probably aged about 14 (1957) our playgrounds were bomb sites. Scarecrow type targets and bows and arrows, French arrows with nail heads bound in with copper wire from transformers in old discarded radios, and home made catapults. kept us amused for hours. We made our own “catties”. forked stick, 1/4” elastic from the model shop. Old leather boot tongue for the pouch, all held together with dubious whippings. Best Ammo was ball bearings, when you could get them. Looking back it was a lethal mix of boys own armoury.

Thank goodness there is at least one person left alive who made his own catapult rather than buying one from a shop.

3 hours ago, Bobba said:

Looking back it was a lethal mix of boys own armoury.

I always took a cut-throat razor to school in the early 1960s, because it was an essential item in the dissection kit for anybody studying A-level biology.   Perhaps no more lethal than the sheath knives carried by all those scouts and guides.   

4 hours ago, Bobba said:

Gosh. Takes me back. Probably aged about 14 (1957) our playgrounds were bomb sites. Scarecrow type targets and bows and arrows, French arrows with nail heads bound in with copper wire from transformers in old discarded radios, and home made catapults. kept us amused for hours. We made our own “catties”. forked stick, 1/4” elastic from the model shop. Old leather boot tongue for the pouch, all held together with dubious whippings. Best Ammo was ball bearings, when you could get them. Looking back it was a lethal mix of boys own armoury.

My old man used to make some decent catapults out of forked sticks, bits of leather and elastic too. Showed me how to do the same. I got blamed for breaking the glass in next door but ones greenhouse but twernt me guv, honest.

5 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

It was quarter inch square elastic for me too back in the 40s I remember how deadly i was with stones from a local river bed. Made one again a few years ago and could not hit a damn thing. "exept my thumb"

apparently its illegal to kill any animal in Britain with stones ! something to do with the stoning to death act .

1 hour ago, derbyduck said:

apparently its illegal to kill any animal in Britain with stones ! something to do with the stoning to death act .

No knowledge of that act but curiosity got the better of me and it seems that it falls within the Wild Mammals (protection) Act 1996, to commit unnecessary suffering by mutilating, kicking, stabbing, impaling, stoning etc etc

Some were devotees of 3/16  others were 1/4 fans.  A bit like shot and choke preferences.  I  couldn't  use a catty at all.   What I didn't know back then was about master eye.  I am left master eye but I  shot the catty right handed so I missed the can by about six inches to the left.

6 minutes ago, Ratlegs said:

Got this in the 60s, not a lot of twang left in the lastic

IMG_20190718_112010.jpg

Had one of those, but then who didn’t?

No one seemed to bat an eyelid when you carried such things in the street. I carried a pen knife everywhere, even school. I felt naked if I didn’t have a knife in my pocket and no one ever said anything when you took it out to sharpen a pencil or a stick. 
Happy, happy days, never to return and I feel extremely lucky to have lived in such times.

On 20/11/2023 at 21:26, Minky said:

Some were devotees of 3/16  others were 1/4 fans.  A bit like shot and choke preferences.  I  couldn't  use a catty at all.   What I didn't know back then was about master eye.  I am left master eye but I  shot the catty right handed so I missed the can by about six inches to the left.

You needed a crossover handle for the catty.