Weather

Bigbob

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting today from 0630 to 1500 and despite being only -1 I was pretty frozen by the end of the day. Loaded up the car at 0545 and left the engine running to melt the frost for 15 mins or so. When I tried to drive off it had a flat battery 🤔 time for a new battery and alternator check. 

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

Shooting today from 0630 to 1500 and despite being only -1 I was pretty frozen by the end of the day. Loaded up the car at 0545 and left the engine running to melt the frost for 15 mins or so. When I tried to drive off it had a flat battery 🤔 time for a new battery and alternator check. 

Strange if it started from cold OK, but was flat after 15 minutes of (presumably idling speed) running.  Most cars (other than classic and vintage) charge (not at full rate), but a partial rate at idling speed.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Strange if it started from cold OK, but was flat after 15 minutes of (presumably idling speed) running.  Most cars (other than classic and vintage) charge (not at full rate), but a partial rate at idling speed.

I was thinking the same and how did he get it started again if the battery was flat?

Just about every time we put the local weather forecast on the weather girl have great delight in telling us there is yet again another Yellow weather warning on the cards for ice and Wintery showers , heavens forbid we are in December and apart from the odd shower it have been a decent day , hope it is the same tomorrow with or without these bloodx warnings as we are shooting all day , should I risk it , you bet I will :lol: 

Just now, marsh man said:

Just about every time we put the local weather forecast on the weather girl have great delight in telling us there is yet again another Yellow weather warning on the cards for ice and Wintery showers , heavens forbid we are in December and apart from the odd shower it have been a decent day , hope it is the same tomorrow with or without these bloodx warnings as we are shooting all day , should I risk it , you bet I will  

Snow for you tomorrow, the lady on the TV said so. :yes:

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Snow for you tomorrow, the lady on the TV said so.

Well we have had two very wet Saturdays on our last two days so a bit of the White stuff will make a nice change , tomorrow should be fairly dry , possible mist / fog first thing and getting up to 2 / 3 degrees after a cold start .:good: 

11 minutes ago, old'un said:

I was thinking the same and how did he get it started again if the battery was flat?

I went out one afternoon to do a bit of roost shooting , when i pulled up to the wood it was raining lightly and not that much movement , so I sat in my motor with the radio on and had a coffee while listening to the football , after a while I thought I would drive a bit nearer to the wood , turned the key and the battery was flat , it wouldn't turn over let alone start , I was a good mile or so from home so I cut across the marsh and as luck my neighbour gave me a lift back, we stuck his spare battery on and way we went , still had time to go in the wood and shoot a few Pigeons, now I don't think I would be quite as keen , part of the aging process :lol:  

There’s been snow on the Fell tops for over a week now, and it landed in the village itself last Wednesday, then it froze. 
We’ve had -6 for a couple of days and the thick fog played havoc with todays shoot as the birds didn’t know where they were flying to, so were not only reluctant to fly, but when they did it was in any and all directions and many would take a dive as soon as clearing tree canopies.
Together with a team of very selective guns it made for a very wearing and bitterly bitterly cold day. 
Got some nice pics though! 🙂

52 minutes ago, old'un said:

It idles at 650 and i guess the alternator does not charge below about 900 (i dont know). I presume the idling flattened the battery. Why it should then stop as i drove away I don't know as being diesel it does not need the battery to run. When i tried to start it again it was completely flat. I could not open the boot or close the window.  Unfortunately I could not mess about with it as i needed to get to the farm before first light. 

Shooting today. 
First drive in bright sunshine. 
Walking back to the gun bus it snowed for five minutes. 
Then the fog came down. 
A couple of flushes of partridges in the second drive made it obvious that shooting was impossible, so drive pulled. Back to the gun bus. Fog got worse.
We hung around for a couple of hours with no improvement in visibility . 
Phone calls revealed that pretty much everywhere else was clear. 
Day abandoned at 1.30 pm.

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

Shooting today. 
First drive in bright sunshine. 
Walking back to the gun bus it snowed for five minutes. 
Then the fog came down. 
A couple of flushes of partridges in the second drive made it obvious that shooting was impossible, so drive pulled. Back to the gun bus. Fog got worse.
We hung around for a couple of hours with no improvement in visibility . 
Phone calls revealed that pretty much everywhere else was clear. 
Day abandoned at 1.30 pm.

What a shame L B , apart from a few hail showers this afternoon today would have been a good day for shooting game , we are out tomorrow and it couldn't be any worse than our last two days with one of them going right through and finishing mid afternoon because of heavy rain, fog is about the worse weather you can get , if you cannot see your fellow guns then you haven't got much options apart from calling it a day , some years we go through the season with bad weather either side of the shooting day , then like this year the bad weather seem to be on our shooting dates , still it's something you cannot do a lot about  , you just have to grin and bear it.:no: