Fac airrifle power and effective killing distance

Paul Janz

Hello i am using a sub 12ft lb 22 Gammo phox and i am cofident out to 35 /40 yards but the land i have to shoot is very open i have been offered  a FAC 20ft lb BSA R10se provided i can get it added to my shot gun licence and i was wondering if i this would give me the extra range 45/50 yards max or is my 12ft capable and it is just down to me to practice out to 45 on targets before having a go at the rabbits thank you for your advice.

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, Paul Janz said:

Hello i am using a sub 12ft lb 22 Gammo phox and i am cofident out to 35 /40 yards but the land i have to shoot is very open i have been offered  a FAC 20ft lb BSA R10se provided i can get it added to my shot gun licence and i was wondering if i this would give me the extra range 45/50 yards max or is my 12ft capable and it is just down to me to practice out to 45 on targets before having a go at the rabbits thank you for your advice.

Regards

Paul

You're going to need a bigger boat Firearms Certificate. Without being silly, a R10 se will do 25 ftlbs comfortably.

SI pittaway has a video on tube shooting a rabbit at 85 yds with a sub 12 pretty impressive. I had a .22 with 36lb of energy and shot crows out to 85 yds and rabbits to 60 yds at night with ease. I could not do that with a sub 12. 

That said I think you have already missed the boat on those rabbits for a while. If they are to be culled you need to do them before they wise up. After which whatever firearm you are using they will be far more wary and difficult to deal with. If its for the pot then that's a different matter. 

15 hours ago, oowee said:

SI pittaway has a video on tube shooting a rabbit at 85 yds with a sub 12 pretty impressive. I had a .22 with 36lb of energy and shot crows out to 85 yds and rabbits to 60 yds at night with ease. I could not do that with a sub 12. 

That said I think you have already missed the boat on those rabbits for a while. If they are to be culled you need to do them before they wise up. After which whatever firearm you are using they will be far more wary and difficult to deal with. If its for the pot then that's a different matter. 

hello, 85 Yards with a sub 12 ft llb air rifle 🤔

10 hours ago, Mice! said:

Not clever though, that's the problem with these videos they only show the shots that are good.

hello, if they are genuine shots 🤔

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, 85 Yards with a sub 12 ft llb air rifle 🤔

hello, if they are genuine shots 🤔

I think its practice, conditions and skills. I don't have the skills or the practice. Same as centre fire. There are some on here shooting effectively out to 500 yds or more, each to their own.

Edited by oowee

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

I think its practice, conditions and skills. I don't have the skills or the practice. Same as centre fire. There are some on here shooting effectively out to 500 yds or more, each to there own.

hello, i agree oowee, also i do not lay on the grass !!!!!, in case i cannot get up 😄

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, interesting, thanks for posting, i have a sub 12 177 PCP,well it is a SMK 79 that i did the HPA , but i limit my shooting range and use a tripod, 50 yard max,

I am shooting off quad sticks. With sub 12 max is around 45 yds as I dont want to do holdover etc, with hmr its good to 130 yds on rabbits its the same shooting with flat trajectory shooting to mpbr. 

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i agree oowee, also i do not lay on the grass !!!!!, in case i cannot get up 😄

🤣 I dont lay on the ground as here muddy clay if you get down your plastered. 

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

I am shooting off quad sticks. With sub 12 max is around 45 yds as I dont want to do holdover etc, with hmr its good to 130 yds on rabbits its the same shooting with flat trajectory shooting to mpbr. 

hello, with holdover you have to know your scope and do a lot of tests, well i did, shame they do not make a scope like  Hawke have for a 22 L/R

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I think its practice, conditions and skills. I don't have the skills or the practice. Same as centre fire. There are some on here shooting effectively out to 500 yds or more, each to their own.

That's the same with anything though really, the big issue with sub 12 is if you make a bad shot then the pellet doesn't have the energy to be effective,  we all know how much a breeze can push the pellet off target at half that range. 

I'd personally be more impressed if he could hit ten knock down rabbits at that range.

Just seen this thread. 
I used to shoot field target competitively and used to take the air arms pro target to the farm . 
It was super accurate on bunny at 65-70 yards but once I’d gone fac (hmr/lr ) I couldn’t go back . I’m happier using the 22lr at that range.

I still have a walther lgu in .177 but it’s used to 35/40 yards now . 
I know of people using 40ftlb in .25 at 80 yards but it must be loopy ??? 

would depend on the skill and experience of the shooter.with my .177 s400 classic i could group a lot better at 50yards than a friend could with his .22 fac theoben.my groups were smaller than a new 5pence coin his were juat about a 2 pence coin or slightly larger.i know of people that can group within 10cm at 90 yards with a sub 12 airgun but they are in the top 5 percent in the couuntry(talking about bench rest shooters).as said 45yards for most with airguns and fac would do 80yards or so.after that you will be looking at .22lr then hmr.my best was 75yards and a clean kill on a bunny with no kicking and no jumping.would not try that now though as i am no longer skillfull enough and know my limitations.just for the record in glos if you apply for an fac it will take about 2 years.

1 hour ago, .357shooter said:

would depend on the skill and experience of the shooter.with my .177 s400 classic i could group a lot better at 50yards than a friend could with his .22 fac theoben.my groups were smaller than a new 5pence coin his were juat about a 2 pence coin or slightly larger.i know of people that can group within 10cm at 90 yards with a sub 12 airgun but they are in the top 5 percent in the couuntry(talking about bench rest shooters).as said 45yards for most with airguns and fac would do 80yards or so.after that you will be looking at .22lr then hmr.my best was 75yards and a clean kill on a bunny with no kicking and no jumping.would not try that now though as i am no longer skillfull enough and know my limitations.just for the record in glos if you apply for an fac it will take about 2 years.

Xxxxxx! Talk about a sting in the tale!

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/01/2024 at 00:33, Paul Janz said:

Hello i know it has to go on my licence i have had my fo round just waiting for it to come back thanks

Definitely go for it . 
I have.25 running @ 72 ftlbs about 975 fps with 34 gr slug & crown running at 42 ftlbs about 950 fps with 21 gr slug or 45 ftlbs with 25.4 gr 

Just now, villaman said:

Definitely go for it . 
I have.25 running @ 72 ftlbs about 975 fps with 34 gr slug & crown running at 42 ftlbs about 950 fps with 21 gr slug or 45 ftlbs with 25.4 gr 

My groups with .25 34 gr slug at 110 yards time after time 

IMG_1227.jpeg