Where are you going for your 2024 holidays.

Minky

I wouldn't mind going back to Egypt.  Very different from elsewhere.  The history aspect.  The downside is the general fly round a jam pot harassment and the potential danger.  Ŵhen we travelled from Hurgada to Kaŕnak and the valley of the Kings we were in a convoy of àbout 40 coaches with about 40 hilux's loaded with armèd troops. We encountered no problems but some friends of ours  on a different holiday were waved off at onè place where some German tourists had been attacked with some fatalities. You don't encounter that sort of thing in Eastbourne but it doesn't rain much out there. I  also wouldn't mind going to southern Spain to see the Alhambra. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

We will be visiting the east coast of Scotland at some point, plus north Wales. Wife also fancies another trip to Dorset.

We have been to St Ives Cornwall 40+ times and no doubt will be yet again this year - great choice Dunks. We try to avoid school holidays as parking gets a bit daft.

Have only been to St Ives the once, over 25 years ago. Loved the place; really must go back. 

36 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Some very nice holidays above and something in these cold  dreary and wet days to look forward to , now I am by myself I haven't got any holidays on my mind , in fact I love my county that much I am perfectly happy to stay around these parts until my number is up .   MM

This country is amazing, two years ago we toured north Wales on the trike, and it was stunning, we have lived in South Wales most of our lives and apart from driving up to Liverpool had never really bothered with the north.

Because of the dog we have been to various parts of the UK from Ben Nevis to Brighton instead of abroad, never disappointed.

We are going abroad because Jake my dog is sadly no longer with me, but it gives us the flexibility to travel anywhere.

9 minutes ago, oowee said:

I hope to take our boat to the Isles of Scilly in June (weather dependent). 

We take a house on Tresco, south of Old Grimsby and the Blockhouse at Borough. Lots of boats of all sorts come into the moorings there. 

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

This country is amazing, two years ago we toured north Wales on the trike, and it was stunning, we have lived in South Wales most of our lives and apart from driving up to Liverpool had never really bothered with the north.

Because of the dog we have been to various parts of the UK from Ben Nevis to Brighton instead of abroad, never disappointed.

We are going abroad because Jake my dog is sadly no longer with me, but it gives us the flexibility to travel anywhere.

I have travelled about a bit when I was in the R N and me and my wife had a wonderful three week holiday travelling around California and the western states in America , we were a lot younger then and could put up with all the air flights and the coach trips , now with my wife passed away those sort of holidays would had been no longer an option , we used to go to all of the C L A Game Fairs and if it was in Scotland we would have a weeks holiday touring the area , we also had a week when one was in Wales and came across some marvelous places , I can well remember the first time we went to Chatsworth House in Derbyshire , a stunning place in superb surroundings , after that the thought of going to crowed air ports just didn't seem to be worth the aggro and like you we also had a dog and took them in the U K wherever we went as they have all been part of the family , when she was here we had many day trips up and around the North / Norfolk coast and I can honestly say we always came back knowing we have had a lovely relaxing day out in what was stunning scenery , so over the last several years we had never considered another holiday abroad , everyone to there own .       MM

Some really nice holidays mentioned here.

Me? Not really going anywhere but I live in Northumberland so may potter around here.

Would love to go to the USA but health and mobility problems and insurance costs will have put paid to that.

NW500 is still on the cards at some point, but not during school holidays 

:shaun:

Sitting here watching the snooker, every advert is begging for money for some sort of charitable cause. In contrast there's the members of this house posting about thier holiday plans. The posts about the type and cost of the planned holidays along with the bikes and boats are world's apart.  I find it difficult to square the fact about how they recon that most of the population only have a couple of hundred pounds in the bank and how those running food banks are in great need, yet the amount of planes flying to and from holiday destinations  now in January is a lot. And the cost of new vehicles.  I noticed that a vauxhall car advert had in the small print at the bottom of the screen .... no purchase option available.! So this means that it is only by lease.! 

Minky - slightly off thread, but I despair at the number of begging adverts. 

My presented choices were:-

Save a penguin.

Save a snow leopard.

Pay for schools in Africa.

Pay for treatment for kids going blind.

Save a rhino.

Save an elephant.

Children in the Yemen.

Children in Ukraine.

Children in Gaza.

RNLI.

Salvation Army.

Cancer research.

Heart Foundation.

McMillan Nurses.

Marie Curie.

The list is almost endless. None of these are interested in me - just my money. If I was to donate to all of these, just what percentage would get through - 5%?

On that cheery note, I must get back to browsing holidays, before the Liverpool match.

19 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Members who can not afford to go anywhere beyond an occasional day out are hardly likely to post on this topic. The sample is a little biased.

Some members live in amazing parts of the country, and a day out, a weekend whatever it may be is good for the soul.
Shaun4860 mentions he is staying put, but as he says he is in Northumbria a glorious place, a holiday/ break is what you make it, i have spent money on some holidays i have regretted, yet a simple long weekend with my kids and grandkids just walking on beaches and chilling round an open fire gave memories that will last forever.

Life should be a glass half full.

welsh1 - totally agree. A few years ago we hired the Old Vicarage at Redruth. Six adults and 7 grandchildren. Had a great time - you can't put a price on quality family time.

Down in Dorset last year at same time as our eldest lad's family. Not in same location, but we spent a couple of days with them.

Just looking to see if I can get them all together again in Cornwall, Dorset or even Norfolk this year.

52 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Minky - slightly off thread, but I despair at the number of begging adverts. 

My presented choices were:-

Save a penguin.

Save a snow leopard.

Pay for schools in Africa.

Pay for treatment for kids going blind.

Save a rhino.

Save an elephant.

Children in the Yemen.

Children in Ukraine.

Children in Gaza.

RNLI.

Salvation Army.

Cancer research.

Heart Foundation.

McMillan Nurses.

Marie Curie.

The list is almost endless. None of these are interested in me - just my money. If I was to donate to all of these, just what percentage would get through - 5%?

On that cheery note, I must get back to browsing holidays, before the Liverpool match.

You forgot the clean water. 

If you subscribed to them all there would be little or nothing left.

And what do they send us in return.........dinghies full of illegal immigrants.

I've never been a "Holiday" person, only been out of the UK a few times and didn't enjoy any of them.

My ideal break is a day or two visiting some of the glorious countryside we have in this country, finishing with a good meal and a decent pint in a proper pub.

Now I'm retired and have more time on my hands this year, I may take a trip to Northumberland to visit the cottage my father lived in as a boy.

Probably fifty years since I last saw it.

52 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Members who can not afford to go anywhere beyond an occasional day out are hardly likely to post on this topic. The sample is a little biased.

Yes that's true. That idea hadn't crossed my mind.  My worst holiday was on Mauritius. Basically down to the culture of the locals.  My best holiday was a fortnight apple picking with the wife in a local orchard.  Cost  nothing,  got a good tan, earnt some money,  peaceful and quiet,  good time with the wife and  no hastle traveling and stressing at airports.  Unusual for this country because it didn't rain once and it was warm and sunny.  It odd that some places I have felt really at home and yet other places I  hated.  I  liked zante yet didn't like Keflonia.  No idea why because they are next each other and Basically the same. Cyprus.. didn't like Cyprus but I quite liked northern Cyprus.

Dad is 80 and my brother is 50 a few days apart so a family gathering in Ibiza (not the party area!) this summer for us. As others have mentioned we have several good places to visit on our doorstep, so days out to Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion & Powys also on the cards. 

45 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

The mrs fancies trying a cruise but is worried about seasickness , i want to go back to Turkey and we will do the usual go up the east coast of Scotland and down the west stopping as we please 

If you go on a cruise make sure you take sea sickness tablets with you ( Sturgeron ) I've never been air sick or sea sick but it ain't  nice. We were  sunbathing on the top deck and suddenly she's was UP.. hand to mouth and away.  Luckily our cabin was just below and she just managed to get to the toilet in time. SHE SPENT ALL DAY IN THECABIN.  Every cabin had a do not disturb sign hanging from the door. We had no tablets available but a bloke in the cabin across the way kindly gave her some.  There was a queue at the ships doctor who was charging a fiver a tablet.!  Next day we docked into Agios Nichos , east crete.  We walked up a road from the harbour to a roundabout where we found a chemist.  Where we bought a box of Sturgeron for a couple of Euro. The tablets were far stronger than we can get here.  A lot of chemist abroad sell all sorts of medicines straight over the outer that you would need a doctors prescription for here in the UK.