Where are you going for your 2024 holidays.

Minky

Australia is just too far.  I might fall off over the  edge. AND I DON'T LIKE SNAKES AND SPIDERS.  for the time of year when we are thinking of (may-june) a lot of places in the med are not that warm. it looks like somewhere in the  canaries, north africa/ Egypt is the band but I'm not sure about any Arabic or Muslim  country with the events going on in Gaza and with the houthy aspect.  Normally It would probably be perfectly OK but a bit late when it all goes pear shaped.  Currently looking to go back to  Tenerife. Far enough south to find the sun and far enough away from Muslim influence.  Keep the uk option for when we get older and we have umbrellas 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

On my third day of a winter in break in Tenerif it's a steady 25.26 degrees 

20240208_161614_copy_765x1020.jpg

20240208_161627_copy_765x1020_1.jpg

20240208_161627_copy_765x1020.jpg

It's been lovely here today , a nice gentle cool breeze coming off the sea , and even the gardeners have been looked after with a steady light to heavy rain , why on earth go all that way for a mere 20 odd more degrees :lol:

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

It's been lovely here today , a nice gentle cool breeze coming off the sea , and even the gardeners have been looked after with a steady light to heavy rain , why on earth go all that way for a mere 20 odd more degrees :lol:

I'm feeling jealous now 🤣

Mrs H and I having a bit of an Andalusian tour this year. We are heading to Seville & Cordoba next weekend for a 10 nights.

Malaga city, Ronda & Nerja to follow in August.

Largs on the Scottish west coast will be visited in late May.

We have a holiday in July- but no destination decided yet.

Got to do it while you can is my moto.

Scotland for me (usual) with friends.  A little fishing (sometimes successfully), possibly a bit of light shooting and always a lovely time with long standing friends.

On 28/01/2024 at 18:16, 39TDS said:

I like the idea of renting a big house somewhere in UK or even Europe and taking son and his family. Fishing would be nice, place with a BBQ etc.

You can rent a variety of houses/sporting lodges in Scotland with some fishing and (dependant on time of year) possibly some shooting - a range of sizes from a small family to large gatherings and at a range of prices. 

Place we have been going last few years has river and loch fishing for trout (no salmon rivers on the estate, but can be had nearby by the day), BBQ etc provided by the loch.  Clays trap etc provided.  Lovely walking.

Obviously with weather, midges, and sport - luck can go either way ......... but it's been an annual event for me for over 30 years and always enjoy it.

On 08/02/2024 at 16:27, Rim Fire said:

On my third day of a winter in break in Tenerif it's a steady 25.26 degrees 

20240208_161614_copy_765x1020.jpg

20240208_161627_copy_765x1020_1.jpg

20240208_161627_copy_765x1020.jpg

Yeah,  that's  more like it.  I  definitely have no interest in holidaying in the UK.  I  have no interest in mooching around in the rain/drizzle, fighting off mosquitoes and midges. AND paying more here for the privilege than going to Spain, Greece or Turkey. Tenerife is like England on a nice summers day. 2

without the Drizzle, mossies and midges.

Edited by Minky

I  definitely have no interest in holidaying in the UK.  I  have no interest in mooching around in the rain/drizzle, fighting off mosquitoes and midges.

Been to Cornwall about 45 times - rained twice. Once all day, the other, it rained for half an hour, but was still hot. 

Wife got one midge bite on the west coast of Scotland. 

Just now, Gordon R said:

Been to Cornwall about 45 times - rained twice. Once all day, the other, it rained for half an hour, but was still hot. 

Wife got one midge bite on the west coast of Scotland. 

I have been to Scotland (shooting and fishing) about 35 times.  Only had bad midges about 2 or 3 days in that time.  Can't say the same about rain though ......... but no recent rain equals probable poor fishing.  Heat I can do without.

50 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Why would anyone choose to go there then :whistling:

Because here there is one nice, nice day a year. Out there there is one bad day a year and you don't have to coat yourself in midges spray. AND it's cheaper out there than holidaying here. A Spanish girl who came here on the shoot said it was nice here BUT it was cold when it was hot.! I love the sun and the heat.  Mother in law used to melt as soon as the sun came out and moaned about how she couldn't cope withi t, But moaned all of TIME the rest of the year about drafts. It was her glands 😅

Edited by Minky

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Been to Cornwall twice. It mostly rained both times. When not raining it was foggy.

1 hour ago, Minky said:

Because here there is one nice, nice day a year. Out there there is one bad day a year and you don't have to coat yourself in midges spray. AND it's cheaper out there than holidaying here. A Spanish girl who came here on the shoot said it was nice here BUT it was cold when it was hot.! I love the sun and the heat.  Mother in law used to melt as soon as the sun came out and moaned about how she couldn't cope withi t, But moaned all of TIME the rest of the year about drafts. It was her glands 😅

Go and live there then? ........thought not, the shooting is probably ****.

55 minutes ago, London Best said:

Been to Cornwall twice. It mostly rained both times. When not raining it was foggy.

IF I were to emigrate to somewhere like this for shooting ,, i did  manage to find and get a round of sporting clays in out on Crete at the shooting ground  near Chania.  Lovely kind blokes and a fantastic facility like Bisley. I  always ask at the hotels if there is any shooting locally.   Mostly they have no knowledge of shooting at all.  When I was driving about looking for the one out in Crete a shopkeeper no more than 1/4 mile from the ground knew nothing of it.  Out in Turkey they were horrified/ frightened...?  Did I Want to kill someone..?  BUT after I explained what shooting clays was,  they were only too obliging and contacted the sports Council in Ankara to find shooting grounds but the nearest was a couple of hundred miles away.  A baggage lad at the reception piped up and said that there were 2 gun shops in the nearby town of Manavgat. Following his map we manged to find the shops. One was archery and airguns but the other had shotguns and rifles. Some heavy stuff for deer and boar.  You aren't out there long enough to find stuff out and I don't speak Turkish or German or Greek or Spanish. I  wouldn't mind doing a bit of partridge shooting out there.

Crete was a crazy place for shooting. The locals had shot ALL of the road signs to pieces and when we pulled up  by a village church up in the mountains I nearly slipped up on one of a line of 9mm cases scattered along the kerb. Either a celebration or a shotgun wedding or both.  I didn't notice any blood on the road.   There were loads of goat / deer skulls displayed by the roads up in the mountains.

cyprus is supposed to be good for shooting  but like everywhere it's not easy to find. but anyone coming from abroad to the uk on holiday wouldn't just walk onto a shoot.

Edited by Minky

7 hours ago, London Best said:

😁 as Brits we can't live there anymore. Unless you can afford to buy a tesidence ticket. 

I love Cornwall using the boat as accommodation. Weather is mostly good April to Oct. 

12 hours ago, Minky said:

Where is that on Tenerife,  whch Hotel .?  What do you recon on it.?

It's the hotel Catalonia  Oronegro  playa de las America we booked for Breakfast  and Evening meal buffet  the food is fantastic  the menu is to much to post on here and you just go up as many times as you want

Edited by Rim Fire

6 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I posted a pic of here yesterday you post a pic of there and there's  your answer

I'm sure it's lovely, my post was in jest, hence the :whistling: emoji. More at the statement it is like England......... when I go abroad, I don't want it to be like England, what's the point.

Edited by Newbie to this