Debanking in the shooting sector

Conor O'Gorman

BASC will be submitting more evidence of debanking to the Financial Conduct Authority for its banking services review.

We have been focused on this from a trade perspective on account closures and rejected account applications and more examples of that would be most helpful but if anyone has evidence as a customer of stopped transactions for shooting related orders that would also be very useful. 

Whether its trade or customers please get in touch by PM or email me at conor.ogorman@basc.org.uk

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Stop using the banks that don't support shooting .it's a 2 sided blade,surely. 

If most the banks went out of business tomorrow and we all went back to cash in boxes we would be in a better place imo. 

100%, but also support the ones that support the shooting industry 

11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

If most the banks went out of business tomorrow and we all went back to cash in boxes we would be in a better place imo. 

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I doubt it would trouble any of the banks to lose a VERY small amount of their business.

It is wrong, but then many of the banks have been doing similar with the raging green debate.

I applaud BASC for making a case though.

45 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, I doubt it would trouble any of the banks to lose a VERY small amount of their business.

It is wrong, but then many of the banks have been doing similar with the raging green debate.

You say that but if CEOs of large PLCs that are keen on country sports started taking a view of banking providers based on their stance it may make them take notice

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That would be lovely, but I would rather have banks providing their services to customers without making political decisions.

So would I but we both know that's not the case, with the Coop Bank been a great example 

Banks HA!!!!!

Four years ago Barclays closed down two local banks in order to open a new one on a newly built shopping centre. 

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from them telling me that they are now closing down the new one and that the nearest branch will be in Birmingham city centre.

My son emigrated to The States eight years ago and during that time Barclays has been taking money out of his UK account to pay for a CPP. In March 2023 it went overdrawn and for the last nine months has been accumulating interest on the overdraft of around £1.50 a month, which left him £74.44 in debt. He then received a letter (which I opened) telling him to pay up or else (almost). I have spent the last three weeks trying to close this account down. I have spoken to the card protection people and they have confirmed that the payments should have been stopped because he isn't covered anyway because he isn't in the UK. He has tried closing his account on his online banking ..... (can't do it). He has even phoned up from America and was put on hold for twenty minutes, but in the end hung up because of the cost of the call. I was able to find out about the CPP and get his details (I pretended to be him) and my son was then able to send them an email closing everything down at their end. (he may be entitled to a refund)

So if my son needs to speak to someone about closing his account when he comes over in May, he now has to travel into Brum go into a Bank he has never used before and try to convince some faceless muppet to close his bloody account and to stop paying something he cancelled eight years ago. 

14 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

As much as we like to slate big organisation and banks etc, we would definitely not be in a better place without an organised financial system. 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed, I think they were the first I was aware of.

Over twenty five years ago I was part of a local farmer’s syndicate, covering over 2000 acres. The Co-op bought 1000 acres of it and immediately stopped all shooting.

1 hour ago, Graham M said:

Banks HA!!!!!

Four years ago Barclays closed down two local banks in order to open a new one on a newly built shopping centre. 

A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from them telling me that they are now closing down the new one and that the nearest branch will be in Birmingham city centre.

My son emigrated to The States eight years ago and during that time Barclays has been taking money out of his UK account to pay for a CPP. In March 2023 it went overdrawn and for the last nine months has been accumulating interest on the overdraft of around £1.50 a month, which left him £74.44 in debt. He then received a letter (which I opened) telling him to pay up or else (almost). I have spent the last three weeks trying to close this account down. I have spoken to the card protection people and they have confirmed that the payments should have been stopped because he isn't covered anyway because he isn't in the UK. He has tried closing his account on his online banking ..... (can't do it). He has even phoned up from America and was put on hold for twenty minutes, but in the end hung up because of the cost of the call. I was able to find out about the CPP and get his details (I pretended to be him) and my son was then able to send them an email closing everything down at their end. (he may be entitled to a refund)

So if my son needs to speak to someone about closing his account when he comes over in May, he now has to travel into Brum go into a Bank he has never used before and try to convince some faceless muppet to close his bloody account and to stop paying something he cancelled eight years ago. 

So if I am getting this right, your son had CPP and emigrated, presumably as you got the letter he is still down at been at your address, or a property you have access to, he never cancelled it and they continued to pay it because that was the instruction your son had given and therefore this is the Banks fault because? If I am correct with above your son surely has to accept responsibility for this

2 hours ago, Graham M said:

Banks HA!!!!!

If he closed the account 8 yrs ago - the bank don't have a leg to stand on. They are entirely responsible. Charge them an admin' fee for your troubles and phone calls etc, at least £50. This is 'bank error in your favour'.....!

P.S If he didn't close it down - he is entirely responsible for the accrued debt.

16 minutes ago, Fellside said:

If he closed the account 8 yrs ago - the bank don't have a leg to stand on. They are entirely responsible. Charge them an admin' fee for your troubles and phone calls etc, at least £50. This is 'bank error in your favour'.....!

P.S If he didn't close it down - he is entirely responsible for the accrued debt.

Correct

17 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Wouldn't our peerless gubmint not jump in to save them?

8 hours ago, button said:

100%, but also support the ones that support the shooting industry 

That creates balance?

I was 'de-banked' last year - my normal current account as a private customer.  The account was with a wholly owned subsidiary brand of one of the 'big 4' that they had acquired over the years and they were closing all accounts under that brand.  Nothing to do with shooting or any other political/lifestyle matter, just their business decision.

Bizarrely, they made no attempt to keep me as a customer in any one of their other UK High Street named brands - despite me having been a perfect customer for over 30 years.

I used the 'CASS' (Current Account Switching Service) which was a really good and seamless experience and switched with a nice introductory 'cash gift' to another of the 'big 4' High Street names.

I continue (nearly a year later) to receive statements from my old bank for £0 - 0p.  I rang them and asked them to stop sending statements and wasting money.  Amazing response.  "The account is flagged as closed and archived only, and so no changes can now be made".  It seems I am to receive statements for a zero balance in perpetuity!

3 hours ago, button said:

So if I am getting this right, your son had CPP and emigrated, presumably as you got the letter he is still down at been at your address, or a property you have access to, he never cancelled it and they continued to pay it because that was the instruction your son had given and therefore this is the Banks fault because? If I am correct with above your son surely has to accept responsibility for this

No!. He cancelled everything before he left; direct debits, standing orders the lot, but for some reason they kept on paying this CPP, which must have been a standing order.

He even told the bank manager that he was emigrating but wanted to leave something in his bank for when he came over to visit. He left over £200 in the account but over the last 8 years that was all paid out to this CPP. We have tried to use their "Chat" which is as much use a a chocolate fireguard, and the free phone is only available in the UK, so calling from the USA is prohibitively expensive. Trying to get answers is like pulling teeth.

23 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

We are not going to make any bank tremble even if we all pulled together (which we wont) I knew about this several years ago and it's the woke brigade in action.

We all thought it was a bit of a joke when Nigel Farage got de-banked (and then publicly slandered) but he had the ability to fight back. Credit to him he proved it was a stich up and what was being said was a lie.

But RFDs, clubs syndicates, etc get picked off one by one and can't fight back. It's a serious problem I know at least one RFD who just said WTH I don't need this and threw in the towel.

Where I buy my cartridges from was refused by his bank, who he had been with for a hell of a long time - he was able to find another bank to take his business...Thankfully.

If the business you are in is totally legal, then a bank should be done for discrimination.....

What next - doctors refusing to treat people based on whether they like them or not???

On 10/02/2024 at 21:27, Ultrastu said:

What if all banks did so as part of the ESG agenda, forced upon them? I don't think many know how insidious this will be.

"Behaviour will be forced" - Larry Fink - Head of Blackrock.

On 11/02/2024 at 08:51, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Ditto.

Edited by Penelope

1 hour ago, discobob said:

Where I buy my cartridges from was refused by his bank, who he had been with for a hell of a long time - he was able to find another bank to take his business...Thankfully.

If the business you are in is totally legal, then a bank should be done for discrimination.....

What next - doctors refusing to treat people based on whether they like them or not???

Going to get a whole lot worse as ESG infiltrates all aspects of business.

Edited by Penelope