A Prolific Egg Thief With A Serious Problem .

marsh man

Will this chap ever learn to leave birds eggs well alone , afraid not according to todays E D P , this is the third time Daniel Lingham was caught with a hoard of wild birds eggs in his home , this time he had just under 3000 , in 2005 he was jailed for 10 weeks with having 4000 eggs in his home and in 2018 he had 5000 eggs in his house , he was recently caught on camera taking a couple of Nightjar eggs and is due to be sentenced on May 3rd 

9 minutes ago, Wymondley said:

I'm not familiar with the case, but two things spring to mind, either he is suffering from some mental illness and/or the sentences are too lenient to be a deterrent.

You are right he did say it was a mental illness , he had been collecting birds eggs for six decades and he is now 71 and will no doubt get another term inside when he is sentence in May .

Most country lads collected birds eggs when I was a kid in the fifties/sixties. 
99.99% grew out of it in the mid teens I reckon, and very few had anything which could be described as rare or endangered. The variety of the eggs was very interesting and, although I would not dream of being an egg collector sixty years on, I wish I still had my copy of the ‘Observers Book of Birds Eggs’.

7 hours ago, London Best said:

99.99% grew out of it in the mid teens I reckon, and very few had anything which could be described as rare or endangered. The variety of the eggs was very interesting and, although I would not dream of being an egg collector sixty years on, I wish I still had my copy of the ‘Observers Book of Birds Eggs’.

Yes, I remember having about 2 or 3 eggs and being shown how to 'blow' them.  Only one I can remember was a pigeons egg.  A sparrow would probably have been another as they were everywhere then. 

10 hours ago, London Best said:

Yep did this as well none was rare your usual pigeon /crow / blackbirds / all of that stuff my youth was spent in the woods and fields youngsters of today haven't a clue of the countryside and what goes on 

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

Will this chap ever learn to leave birds eggs well alone , afraid not according to todays E D P , this is the third time Daniel Lingham was caught with a hoard of wild birds eggs in his home , this time he had just under 3000 , in 2005 he was jailed for 10 weeks with having 4000 eggs in his home and in 2018 he had 5000 eggs in his house , he was recently caught on camera taking a couple of Nightjar eggs and is due to be sentenced on May 3rd 

The big shame is he must be an incredible twitcher, he could probably get photos others only dream of.

Guilty as charged also,,,, took the odd blackbird, thrush and robin eggs in my early teens. Kept them in small clear plastic container, sat in tissue. Probably 5 or 6 at the most, and only for one season. Soon just went on to find the nests and just watch and hope the eggs would hatch and chicks would fledge.

This guy obviously has mental issues and needs serious help 😣

I had a fair collection as a boy. It is what I did, roaming the countryside from dawn to dusk looking for nests. My golden rule was only one egg from a full clutch.

It didn't take any rules, regulations or Laws for me to realise what I was doing wasn't quite right and I stopped collecting in my very early teens.

This bloke has a mental illness causing the compulsion to collect eggs. I do just wonder if any of the collections he was previously prosecuted for were confiscated from him.

11 hours ago, London Best said:

like most country side boys at the time we also collected bird eggs , ours were slightly different as we ate most of the ones we got , we had some big reed beds on the marshes that the Moorhens loved and a large spoon on the end of a bamboo cane resulted in a good many fry ups , these were the size of Bantems eggs and two or three made a good meal along with some fresh marsh Mushrooms , the ( odd ) Swans egg also found it's way into our little kitchen along with Mallard and even a few Lapwings eggs , One local book I have got stated the women used to take a wicker basket on the marshes and fill them up with Plover eggs and sell them on the local market , you imagine that happening today in our vastly different world we are living in .     MM

1 minute ago, marsh man said:

like most country side boys at the time we also collected bird eggs , ours were slightly different as we ate most of the ones we got , we had some big reed beds on the marshes that the Moorhens loved and a large spoon on the end of a bamboo cane resulted in a good many fry ups , these were the size of Bantems eggs and two or three made a good meal along with some fresh marsh Mushrooms , the ( odd ) Swans egg also found it's way into our little kitchen along with Mallard and even a few Lapwings eggs , One local book I have got stated the women used to take a wicker basket on the marshes and fill them up with Plover eggs and sell them on the local market , you imagine that happening today in our vastly different world we are living in .     MM

I can remember eating Moorhen’s eggs, but never any other wild eggs.

3 minutes ago, London Best said:

I can remember eating Moorhen’s eggs, but never any other wild eggs.

Coots would had been similar to a Moorhens egg , although before the 62 / 63 bad Winter we very rarely saw many as they were mainly in the Broadland area like on Hickling Broad where the old king George and Price Phillip used to have some big ( driven ) Coot shoots that would often be in four figures , when we had that bad Winter all the Broads froze over and the rafts of Coots came down to the estuary for open water , we were laid off work at the time as me and my mate were both trainee brick layers and we were in heaven rowing up the river between the ice flows and putting four barrels over a pack of Coots when they would lift up just as got into range , after picking the dead and wounded ones up my ole grand father would skin them and make a Coot stew , I can still imagine the lovely smell in his kitchen when these were steaming away on his little gas oven , mind you if we had hit some of the ice flows that were in the river at the time we would had certainly been in heaven .     MM

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Coots would had been similar to a Moorhens egg , although before the 62 / 63 bad Winter we very rarely saw many as they were mainly in the Broadland area like on Hickling Broad where the old king George and Price Phillip used to have some big ( driven ) Coot shoots that would often be in four figures , when we had that bad Winter all the Broads froze over and the rafts of Coots came down to the estuary for open water , we were laid off work at the time as me and my mate were both trainee brick layers and we were in heaven rowing up the river between the ice flows and putting four barrels over a pack of Coots when they would lift up just as got into range , after picking the dead and wounded ones up my ole grand father would skin them and make a Coot stew , I can still imagine the lovely smell in his kitchen when these were steaming away on his little gas oven , mind you if we had hit some of the ice flows that were in the river at the time we would had certainly been in heaven .     MM

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

Colin McLean's At Dusk and Dawn is a all about fowling on the broads along with a lot on the famous Hickling Coot shoots.

At Dawn and Dusk : being my record of nearly...

Edited by Penelope

12 hours ago, London Best said:

If you ping me, I'll send you mine as it's not been used for years. Free post to you bud.

3 hours ago, London Best said:

More likely he is doing it for money and needs locking up.

Yes, he needs locking up, but not sure he's doing it for money, as he's collecting them, not selling them on 🤷 Although, he might be selling some and keeping most of them ? Either way, he's not right in the head to keep on doing the same thing,,,, and keep getting caught out 😏

as boys we kept our eggs on a bed of sawdust in biscuit tins despite this bird life flourished yet today thanks to those who deemed it a crime most places our eggs came from are now under over priced rabbit hutch houses so no brainier who the real villains are! 

2 hours ago, JKD said:

Yes, he needs locking up, but not sure he's doing it for money, as he's collecting them, not selling them on 🤷 Although, he might be selling some and keeping most of them ? Either way, he's not right in the head to keep on doing the same thing,,,, and keep getting caught out 😏

Not sure he is collecting himself all the eggs he had on his premises over the years , with nearly 3000 he is now charged with and 9000 from his previous two convictions it seem a lot of bird eggs for one man to collect , he might not be selling them on but is he buying from other collectors ?   :hmm:      MM

57 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Not sure he is collecting himself all the eggs he had on his premises over the years , with nearly 3000 he is now charged with and 9000 from his previous two convictions it seem a lot of bird eggs for one man to collect , he might not be selling them on but is he buying from other collectors ?         MM

There's some confusion here,,,, collecting, amassing a collection of something, and collecting, going out and collecting [picking] a lot of the same type of item.

This guy has a hoard [collection] of 3000 eggs, and there is footage of him taking eggs from a nest. If he has gone out and physically taken all 3000 eggs, and the other 9k, then he has a mental problem.

If he's buying some in, he has mental problems.

There's no mention of any evidence that he's buying or selling.

Whatever,,,, he has mental problems,,,,, IMHO

Dr JKD signing off 🤓

ps. No-one who has replied on this thread can understand why he is doing this. No-one can sympathise with him either. He needs help of some description,,,, while he's in prison of course 👍