Freezing my bits off.

old man

Just now, old man said:

Help required please.

Mods please move if needed.

Finally the cold has got to my core.

Personal recommendations  needed on heated jackets etc please.

Thanks

I bought the cheapest waistcoat I could find off eBay, £15. 
It is so warm I never have to switch it on!

17 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Until you get one put on as ma ny layers as you can they all trap heat 

100% this, a lot of thin layers are better than a couple of thick ones. Try out a runners cold weather base layer as well. Very light and never usually too expensive, also designed to quickly wick away sweat to stop the wind chill after some exertion 

I have the deerhunter heated vest. I am very disappointed with the performance,  even with a powerful battery pack it only lasts a couple of hours at most when on the high or medium setting. On low power  it barely lasts a day in the field. I also find the heat generated stays concentrates on the areas of output, whereas I was hoping the heat would help keep me warm allover.  I also find it awkward to connect, switch on/off etc as it is worn as bottom layer under jersey,jacket etc.

I wouldn't recommend  this product for someone who really suffers in cold conditions.

As an aside, I haven't been able to find any gloves, socks or jackets that really provide the solution, despite spending considerable sums.

Regards

I bought a Zerofit baselayer top, having seen their advert in a fishing magazine. I have to say it is the warmest top I have ever owned ( and I have had over 60 years of shooting in all weather's and locations). I have shot clays every week right through the winter with just a windproof fleece or thin waterproof, over the baselayer. I was in a snowstorm with just a waterproof top over the Zerofit top. It was all I needed.

Edited by Westley

Old Man, not wanting to scare you but..... have you had your sugar/bloods checked at all - recently?  I find when my sugars ae a bit on the high side it is almost impossible to retain heat, however, once adjusted by my insulin pen it makes a heck of a di8fference to the level of felt heat in my body.  Any other dabetics get this problem???

Regards

Pushkin:good:

4 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Amazon do one for around £40 with battery, it has heating pads front and back and is multi adjustable so should fit anyone. Had mine for around 6 weeks, heating lasts for at least 4 hours on low which is about all you need.  

This is the one i bought it is fantastic and its only mid range of what you can bye i assume the more expensive  the better but not always the case

When i am sat in a high seat just switch it on  

Edited by Rim Fire

1 hour ago, Pushkin said:

Old Man, not wanting to scare you but..... have you had your sugar/bloods checked at all - recently?  I find when my sugars ae a bit on the high side it is almost impossible to retain heat, however, once adjusted by my insulin pen it makes a heck of a di8fference to the level of felt heat in my body.  Any other dabetics get this problem???

Regards

Thanks bud, regularly monitored.

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

This is the one i bought it is fantastic and its only mid range of what you can bye i assume the more expensive  the better but not always the case

When i am sat in a high seat just switch it on  

Thanks  bruno22rf and RF.  Bought now.

om

Go shooting with a friend and get cosy 👍

Last year i bought my 1st ever Hoodie, i've not got into the gangster lingo yet but getting there "in-It" 

On top of that i wear a DeerHunter Muflon Extreme jacket i can sit in a high seat at -5 and be comfortable to the point i need to unzip the coat because i was getting too warm. Leg wise i wear Aigle lined trousers and park me bottom on a piece of camp bed, thick woolen socks and decent boots. 

2 hours ago, Pushkin said:

Regards

I would imagine this is connected to your circulation, blood heavy with glucose I guess would travel more slowly? Added to the fact that Diabetes causes circulation issues anyway.

Worth looking at a bib and brace as well, nothing makes you colder than a gap for the cold air to get in, look at fishing ones if noise isn't an issue. 

My problem is I normally wrap up then go walk about and wind up sweating like mad 😅

Its a tangent I know, but possibly heating your core with the right stuff will help matters, too. In colder conditions I take just a pinch of cayenne pepper in hot water with maybe some ginger chunks and immediately you feel the difference. Apparently it can help unclog your arteries as well, whats not to like

22 hours ago, Dougy said:

Go shooting with a friend and get cosy 👍

Last year i bought my 1st ever Hoodie, i've not got into the gangster lingo yet but getting there "in-It" 

On top of that i wear a DeerHunter Muflon Extreme jacket i can sit in a high seat at -5 and be comfortable to the point i need to unzip the coat because i was getting too warm. Leg wise i wear Aigle lined trousers and park me bottom on a piece of camp bed, thick woolen socks and decent boots. 

Tried that didn't we but someone broke someone elses gun?😇

I have Deerhunter Rusky kit but far too wet and muddy for that at the moment. Would need a winch to extract me.

21 hours ago, Mice! said:

Worth looking at a bib and brace as well, nothing makes you colder than a gap for the cold air to get in, look at fishing ones if noise isn't an issue. 

My problem is I normally wrap up then go walk about and wind up sweating like mad 😅

Unfortunately I'm static bud.

2 hours ago, old man said:

Tried that didn't we but someone broke someone elses gun?😇

I have Deerhunter Rusky kit but far too wet and muddy for that at the moment. Would need a winch to extract me.

Unfortunately I'm static bud.

I offered some blutac to fix it. (Was probably stronger that the original screw)

Got a winch to drag you out.