THE HUM

DUNKS

Hi. Does anyone here suffer from hearing THE HUM? A low frequency rumble or hum. intermittent and only heard inside a house, usually at night.  I had this problem a couple of years ago, I could hear it my son also could and a near neighbour as well. Local environmental health put a recording device in my home for a week and the recorder heard nothing in that frequency. The sound went away and now is back with a vengeance. We live quite close to an airport where they do occasionally run up engines all night but it's not that and apparently can be heard all over the world. I think over the years I have read most of what has been published on this and still no solution.

The question I ask is do any other members hear it please.

4 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Hi. Does anyone here suffer from hearing THE HUM? A low frequency rumble or hum. intermittent and only heard inside a house, usually at night.  I had this problem a couple of years ago, I could hear it my son also could and a near neighbour as well. Local environmental health put a recording device in my home for a week and the recorder heard nothing in that frequency. The sound went away and now is back with a vengeance. We live quite close to an airport where they do occasionally run up engines all night but it's not that and apparently can be heard all over the world. I think over the years I have read most of what has been published on this and still no solution.

The question I ask is do any other members hear it please.

I'd say you would need to have the sound metre for a long period of time to be able to get a recording, as you said you heard it, then the recorder was installed but not for long enough potentially 

4 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

I'd say you would need to have the sound metre for a long period of time to be able to get a recording, as you said you heard it, then the recorder was installed but not for long enough potentially 

Thanks but no the recording device was with me for a whole week and we heard the noise every night and sometimes during the day during that week and after.

41 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Thanks but no the recording device was with me for a whole week and we heard the noise every night and sometimes during the day during that week and after.

Oh so you heard it but the tech did not.... Aliens!!! Got to be 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I don't think it is unusual for people to hear noises and others or sound meters not pick something up. There could be all sorts or reasons, your local airport for example do they run generators or fuel pumps? I've even heard of house roofs producing low frequency noise when the wind blows in a certain direction so it would be worth keeping a diary of when the noise is loudest and what the weather is like (wind speed, direction, general weather etc). 

My house has heat recovery fans for the bathrooms fitted above the bathrooms in the loft space.  One of these makes a low hum which very strangely is louder and more noticeable in the ground floor room below the bathroom but not nearly as much in the bathroom itself which is directly underneath the ventilation unit and has air ducts to it.  I can only assume some resonance in the house structure causes this.  It's not a problem as the fan only runs when the bathroom lights are used and for a few minutes afterwards.

The A66 is seven miles away from me ( I can see it through binoculars from my top step and see the vehicle lights on it at night ) and wasn’t aware there was a very low but constant hum from it until the first lockdown, and then it was noticeable only due to its disappearance! Weird! 
I always tell folk it’s so quiet in our village you can hear a chicken **** at 50 yds, but up until then I hadn’t realised just how quiet it was with no traffic on that main road. 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ditchman said:

are you living near an electric substation ?

There is one not too far away but why should the environmental health microphones not pick up the sound? The operator said it would pick up sounds way below and above human hearing. Also why quiet for years? only one of my neighbours ca hear it.

Thanks.

Edited by DUNKS

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

There is one not too far away but why should the environmental health microphones pick up the sound? The operator said it would pick up sounds way below and above human hearing. Also why quiet for years? only one of my neighbours ca hear it.

Thanks.

the ground conditions matter.....is it sitting on clay or sandy substrata ....wet or dry ?......alll will effect the peak particle velocity of the waves of sound...which will manifest itself as sound in your inner ear..

The local environmental health put a box up on a local playground that was being vandalised it emitted a hum that teenagers could hear and it bothered them and they stopped hanging bout there , Maybe a form of tinnitus ? you spoke to a doctor ?. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, ditchman said:

the ground conditions matter.....is it sitting on clay or sandy substrata ....wet or dry ?......alll will effect the peak particle velocity of the waves of sound...which will manifest itself as sound in your inner ear..

OK so you lost me!😁  Nomatter that sounds a very likely solution. We are in a clay area with a very high water table. Thanks

Edited by DUNKS

2 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

OK so you lost me!😁  Nomatter that sounds a very likely solution. We are in a clay area with a very high water table. Thanks

you dont need a sound meter you need a very sensertive vibration metre.....with a printed graph read out......these can be hired...i have used them many times

2 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

The local environmental health put a box up on a local playground that was being vandalised it emitted a hum that teenagers could hear and it bothered them and they stopped hanging bout there , Maybe a form of tinnitus ? you spoke to a doctor ?. 

Yep spoke to an audiologist she said tinnitus was usually in the higher frequencies and the sound is only in my house. Pop your head outside and you cant hear the noise.

Just now, DUNKS said:

Yep spoke to an audiologist she said tinnitus was usually in the higher frequencies and the sound is only in my house. Pop your head outside and you cant hear the noise.

Maybe getting your ears syringed would help ? easiest option 

23 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Do you have a dog ? If yes, do they hear it ? ie, does it lift its head up listening on odd occasions and you don't know why ? Silly question, but I noticed something similar a few years ago 😆

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

Would the ground being at saturation point have any bearing?

30 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Would the ground being at saturation point have any bearing?

if the ground was dry it would mean that sound waves would be travelling thro part air part ground...and so the dryness would have a "slowing" of the velocity of the wave sort of acting as a supressor....

now if those pore spaces are full of water the ground would be more dense and the particle velocity would be faster.....

so to answer your question ..if the ground is wet the sound/vibration would be higher/more noticable