First cut

wisdom

After persistent rain for what seems months. I cut the lawn for the fist time this morning.Put the mowers away in September serviced them over the winter.The rotary came out this morning started 2nd pull.Anyway a fairly high cut was done to get some form of level.Will fork it all soon and all should be good.

It's still very wet so the cylinder mower will not be out for a while.

Thinking about all the farmers.They are so far behind with sewing.

4 minutes ago, wisdom said:

After persistent rain for what seems months. I cut the lawn for the fist time this morning.Put the mowers away in September serviced them over the winter.The rotary came out this morning started 2nd pull.Anyway a fairly high cut was done to get some form of level.Will fork it all soon and all should be good.

It's still very wet so the cylinder mower will not be out for a while.

Thinking about all the farmers.They are so far behind with sewing.

Things are not that bad now down this part of the country , the land have dried out a treat and yesterday they were drilling Sugar Beet and some farmers were planting spuds , I cut my grass for the first about three weeks ago and done it again since then , mind you they do forecast more rain on it's way , looking bright outside so now going out while it is dry .

MM

55 minutes ago, Nublue 22 said:

What's the best treatment for grass, mine after spending a long time under water looks sad? 

Quite honestly, I think sunshine! 

If it has been waterlogged, aerate to improve drainage/reduce/break up compaction would probably be good.  I wouldn't add fertiliser until the roots have had a chance to get over being waterlogged.

https://www.fantasticgardeners.co.uk/lawn-care/what-is-lawn-aeration-why-when-and-how-to-do-it/

I have cut the lawns 3 times now.   The back lawn which gets the sun, if there is any was getting so  long and it was not drying out....SO... I got the power strimmer with a long line and reduced the  length and raked the grass with a spring tine rake.  This went into the garden bin. I managed to use the rotary on a high cut on the front lawn. The rain has given over the last week and yesterday it was HOT so everything has gone mad in the garden. Roll on global warming!

Bottom of my garden is going to be getting a boat load of sand and some topsoil...then some seeding. Its a literal swamp at the minute after the rain we have had since last October.

There's just no way I can get a cut at mine yet. If it doesn't give me a couple of dry days this week I'm going out to strim it all down to give me a fighting chance once it does dry up a bit

The power strimmer has another job to do. We went for a walk with one of the daughters today and ended up at hers.  The grass on the lawn was so long and wet that it is beyond mower control.  It needs something akin to an Allen scythe. I volunteered to bring the 2T strimmer up and get it under control for them.  There is a potential problem in that Mabel her cocker had a very very urgent semi liquid midnight unloading session out there in the middle of a torrential rainstorm So it sort of melted into the grass. I. Have asked her to find the item and mark it with a stick so that strimmer and item don't encounter and I encounter the item. It could be like something hitting the fan. Perhaps the item has been washed into the soil.

Mine has never been so long before first cut, last week.

I was unable to get a last cut in end of October early November, due to wet weather and nothing has changed since.

We must be due for a dry spell soon, fingers crossed.

18 hours ago, Minky said:

The power strimmer has another job to do. We went for a walk with one of the daughters today and ended up at hers.  The grass on the lawn was so long and wet that it is beyond mower control.  It needs something akin to an Allen scythe. I volunteered to bring the 2T strimmer up and get it under control for them.  There is a potential problem in that Mabel her cocker had a very very urgent semi liquid midnight unloading session out there in the middle of a torrential rainstorm So it sort of melted into the grass. I. Have asked her to find the item and mark it with a stick so that strimmer and item don't encounter and I encounter the item. It could be like something hitting the fan. Perhaps the item has been washed into the soil.

When you have cut lots of grass commercially it's possible to discern the breed from the flavour.

First cut soon for mine is it worth using the grass bag?

I have in the past just left the cut stuff on top as it gets cut again within a week normally when it's in full growing swing.

Can usually fill the waste bin with one full cut of the grass 

1 hour ago, Stephen-H said:

First cut soon for mine is it worth using the grass bag?

I have in the past just left the cut stuff on top as it gets cut again within a week normally when it's in full growing swing.

Can usually fill the waste bin with one full cut of the grass 

The grass Shute will just get clogged because the grass is so wet and long.  It's better to tie open the back flap and  rake it up. Then into the bin. I've never seen a year like it.

We Were only commenting the other day at the family Easter get together about how years ago no one had a lot of anything and how the wife's father used to cut the lawns by hand with a swap.  The son in laws all said what is a swap.?

I blame myself for allowing my daughters to marry them. 

Edited by Minky

18 minutes ago, Minky said:

The grass Shute will just get clogged because the grass is so wet and long.  It's better to tie open the back flap and  rake it up. Then into the bin. I've never seen a year like it.

Mine was OK with the grass box on the chute coped fine just took it slow to give it chance to keep clear.aerated all the lawn today with a fork to assist getting the water down when it rains next(forecast tomorrow).Next dry spell ill rake in some sharp sand.Then ill just wait and see.

1 hour ago, Miserableolgit said:

I managed a few hours on the mower late this afternoon after the grass had dried sufficiently after the showers this morning. Raining again this evening.

You must have a fair size ole garden to be mowing for a few hours :lol:  , I done exactly the same this afternoon , mine was the driest it had been and today was the third time it had been cut , took about 20 mins and like you say it is now raining fairly hard , best time of the day for it to rain , or should we say night  :hmm:

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

You must have a fair size ole garden to be mowing for a few hours :lol:  , I done exactly the same this afternoon , mine was the driest it had been and today was the third time it had been cut , took about 20 mins and like you say it is now raining fairly hard , best time of the day for it to rain , or should we say night  :hmm:

It’s an old farmhouse with three large areas of grass with fruit and other trees, some awkward smaller bits, a couple of old ponds that are grassed around some of the edges. Far too much to collect cuttings so it’s mulch cut.

Glad I got it done as it’s still raining this morning.