You Tube video ads

Cranfield

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

Don’t think you can unless you pay for them not to be shown 

Is the right answer  you have to pay. To go ad free , on youtube. Now. Prime  TV is doing the same. Adverts. In during films , you can pay so much extra  , not to receive  them. . These business  are wanting it both ways. You pay to advertise you product  , or as a viewer. You pay not to watch the ads .

1 hour ago, Cranfield said:

I don't see that on the video screen.

If it does pop up, It only applies when most of the ad’ has been played anyhow. 
There is an ads free option but it’s to pay for I believe. 

You can pay for YouTube premium for no ads. I’ve had a YouTube account since 2006 so I’m really resistant to start paying for something I’ve had for free for 18 years.

YouTube has gradually become much more corporate since it was purchased by Google.

Its weird how this has only just started in the last couple of days.
I subscribe to quite a few US political sites, finance sites and worlwide shooting/fishing sites.
Sometimes I get two ad videos one after the other, before the video I want appears.
£13 per month seems to be the cost.

Funny you should mention this. 
I use YouTube quite a lot, I don’t mind the odd ad at the beginning when watching a 20 min interview or whatever. 
It now appears to be 2 ads before it’s started then one every few minutes. 

also if you were on for a while listening to say a playlist generated by YouTube you would get the odd ad now it’s 2 at the start of every song. 

on a side note …. Looking at this thread has generated 3 adverts - 1 top. One bottom and 1 in the posts. 
no ads were on PW yesterday 

I use ...  Ghostery,  U Block origin  and Add block plus.

These are all free and i get no adds at all on U Tube.

Every now and then ( couple of months)  UTube will block the video from playing unless the blockers are turned off.  A day or so later and this stops happening and everythings good again.

5 hours ago, wyn said:

I use ...  Ghostery,  U Block origin  and Add block plus.

These are all free and i get no adds at all on U Tube.

Every now and then ( couple of months)  UTube will block the video from playing unless the blockers are turned off.  A day or so later and this stops happening and everythings good again.

I have Ublock and that doesn't stop it for me.
However, I have been recommended Ghostery (as you use).
I have downloaded it and no ads have appeared in a test of viewing of the start of 50 random You Tube vids.
So, fingers crossed this might continue to be effective.

6 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Anyone got any ideas on how to stop YouTube ads on a Smart TV? All the ad blockers mentioned so far appear to be for those watching on a PC.

Unfortunately, there’s not much to help with a smart tv or the YouTube app. If it’s a particularly long ad that isn’t skippable (I think 55 seconds is the max length that is unskippable now) then you could just exit and re-enter the video.

I have a Vodafone sim only contract with 'Entertainment' built in, one of the options is 'YouTube Premium' (so no adverts) for 24 months.

YouTube Premium on its own is £12/month.  The cheapest SIM only contract from Voda at this time is £26/month.

One logs into YouTube with whatever Email address that's associated with the Voda' account so not limited to use on a mobile device.