Speeding!

aga man

Thanks for all the input chaps, and thanks for that link Rupert very useful. a lot of very varied theories here.

I will just have to see if/what the postman brings.

Suprised no one here has been done on that same stretch it's the main commute from lincolnshire into Hull.

Thats why then - who goes to Hull?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it was 60 on duel carriageways, car that is.?.

Where people get stuck on this issue is what constitutes a dual carriageway. If it is a road with no matter how many lanes, and there is no barrier or curb in the middle between you and oncoming traffic - then it is single carriageway. Dual Carriageway is when you have a curb or barrier in between. The number of lanes in any direction is irrelevant. National speed limit is where you see the white circle with a black line through it - and if it is single carriageway, then 60mph, and if a dual carriageway - 70mph. There are exceptions, but for cars that is what it is.

It was incredible how many people (including me) didn't know this on both speed awareness courses I went on.

Ok so I'm probably going to show my age now but when I passed my test there were two classes of duel carriageway one with central reservation but no barrier 60mph and with barrier 70mph for cars/car derived vans. 50 and 60 for upto and including 7.5 tonnes. So I've just looked and the former seems to have gone from the highway code.

Edited by sonicdmb

Where people get stuck on this issue is what constitutes a dual carriageway. If it is a road with no matter how many lanes, and there is no barrier or curb in the middle between you and oncoming traffic - then it is single carriageway. Dual Carriageway is when you have a curb or barrier in between. The number of lanes in any direction is irrelevant. National speed limit is where you see the white circle with a black line through it - and if it is single carriageway, then 60mph, and if a dual carriageway - 70mph. There are exceptions, but for cars that is what it is.

It was incredible how many people (including me) didn't know this on both speed awareness courses I went on.

This is correct however don't need to be a barrier or curb anything that separates the carriage ways, patch of grass, however there is generally a curb involved

I Knew about some of this but having just looked at the link above would appear my l200 and most other pick ups should have to abide by van speed limits rather than the car ones!

If it's a double cab, with the rear seats fitted, it is classified as a dual purpose vehicle and subject to car speed limits.

However, I understand that you cannot park anything larger than a car or car derived van on any road without lights unless in a marked parking bay. Something else for pick-up owners to be aware of; although I've yet to hear of it being enforced.

This is according to the FTA Yearbook of Road Transport Law.

Dual Carriageway 60

That's what I always thought.... Then I went on a speed awareness course (for doing 34 in 30 zone!) and was surprised and pleased to be informed that it is indeed 70 - unless there are specific speed limit signs to the contrary.

I also learned that, by law, everyone is supposed to have read and kept themselves up to date with the HC.

Most fixed cameras don't work trust me on that because I have no points on my licence at all! If it was a van and if parked on a verge they need a closure notice from the council for the bit of land they are operating from, also with mobile vans they are usually operated by the council and are labelled " working with so and so police force" , they look like police vehicles but they are not and the small print says unless its a fixed Gatso camera then a serving on duty police officer must be present to witness the offence , otherwise we could all go buy a van and send people out tickets demanding money and would have no use for policemen ! So for vans always ask for the police officers number who was present at the time of the alleged offence and witnessed it , which they can't supply (they will give you a load of tosh about not providing personal info but it's the officers number you are asking for not their personal info) Also with a NIP ( notice of intended prosecution) they have 14 days from the date of offence to serve you notice or it's not valid , I could add that none of the cameras seem to work over a certain mph..........

don't think you will get a chance to do the speed awareness ,wot was the speed limit

if you can roll a ball over the road and it is stopped by a barrier of some sort it is a 70 if it was to roll over to the other side it's a 50

haha sounds exactly the same advice I had on my 'naughty driver course' too!

I got flashed on the A1 doing 81 mpg and attended the driver safety course. The leaflet from the police said you could do the course if you were under 10% of the speed limit plus 8 pmh so on the motorway 7 and 8 = 15 therefore up to 85mpg However on the course was someone who go stopped for doing 31 mpg next to a school!!!

However on the course was someone who go stopped for doing 31 mpg next to a school!!!

Probably a 20 zone like most schools so actually massively over the limit!

I got 34 in a 30 and SAC, 35 would have been straight points

Enjoyed the SAC and did learn a bit including how to tell the diff between single and duel carriageways and it is as said if there is a separation between the carriageways whether kerb, grass, barrier etc

I've just been on a speed awareness course, I was done for 35 in a 30 zone small village, the letter started they were giving speed awareness course for anyone doing upto 42mph in the 30 mph zone.

Interesting course, didn't learn that much just 4 hrs out of the day you don't get back, the course was £92 compares with £100 fine and 3 points.

I've just been on a speed awareness course, I was done for 35 in a 30 zone small village, the letter started they were giving speed awareness course for anyone doing upto 42mph in the 30 mph zone.

Interesting course, didn't learn that much just 4 hrs out of the day you don't get back, the course was £92 compares with £100 fine and 3 points.

There were plenty of people learnt something on the one i was on, there was only me, a truck driver and a boy racer who could tell the course bloke the correct speed limits for a car on a national speed limit/unrestricted single, dual carriageway and motorway out of a class of 25!! And looking at some of the replies on here these courses should be compulsory! :lol: No wonder there's always a nugget sitting in the outside lane of a dual carriageway at 60mph, or dwaddling along at 40mph on a NS single carriageway :rolleyes:

There were plenty of people learnt something on the one i was on, there was only me, a truck driver and a boy racer who could tell the course bloke the correct speed limits for a car on a national speed limit/unrestricted single, dual carriageway and motorway out of a class of 25!! And looking at some of the replies on here these courses should be compulsory! :lol: No wonder there's always a nugget sitting in the outside lane of a dual carriageway at 60mph, or dwaddling along at 40mph on a NS single carriageway :rolleyes:

That's true, there was a few people looking rather sheepish at not knowing the speed limits on my course. I just knew all the answers.

Still didn't help me getting caught. I know it's a speed awareness course but there is so much scope to bring other things into the course and make it compulsory part of the driving test. Or at least make everyone sit it every 10 years.