Why do you shoot ?

Harnser

I shoot because I like to eat fresh game killed by me. I also like to shoot because I have a love for the country side and like to be at one with the environment . I also think that man has a primeval need it hunt and forage . Any how there are some good old boys out there who like to share my passion for hunting . Harnser.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy it plus I realy like being out in the countryside.There is nothing better than sitting down to eat something thats been sought by yourself.I feel very humble that farmers have faith and trust in me to wander there property.When I lock that gate behind me I feel very privileged. I also feel the shooting community have a special bond and really enjoy being in the company of other likeminded people.I have met some very nice people through shooting and gained some very good friends which I dont feel I would of come across.

Edited by Davyo

I love to hunt because I love my rifles and creeping out to my shed to reload the ammunition for them. I enjoy the solitude of the early morning mist at sunrise and late evenings watching all the other wildlife that passes by. Theres the challenge of the grallock and retrieving a heavy carcass from some very difficult places, the sense of achievement sat back in the truck with a coffee and beast safely on board. Then there is the experimenting with hanging times, the butchery and finally the enjoyment of the devouring of a free range product that's never eaten a growth hormone.

Because I still have a primeval instinct to forage from the countryside, I would be very happy to do it the same way that man has being doing for thousands of years but unfortunately we are unable to hunt in the more traditional ways due to the 'delicate nature' of some people and the 'irresponsible stupidity' of others, therefore shooting my quarry & hand foraging other natural produce and ingredients remains some of the only ways to put good quality natural produce, free from chemicals & drugs on the table.

It also requires me to use skills and knowledge gained from enjoying the countryside in which I live and put them to good use rather than spend my time in front of TV/Internet, or on facebook or ####, killing off my understanding of nature, what surrounds me, what makes me human and where I come from, oh yeah it's generally a healthier life in reality too, which is a bonus...

I grew up around guns and have always enjoyed shooting - no matter what type really.

Mainly now it's clays, game and target, but I got into the whole 'club' idea a few years back and now enjoy seeing young shooters coming up through the ranks and learning from the older boys.

I've done lots of safety related things with NSRA / NRA so help run my most local club.

Anyone with close links to a club probably knows that it's the few that do the work for the benefits of the many.

We have young, old and less abled shooters so I help some and learn from others every week.

The short version is - I just enjoy.

ATB.

although in the past id shot airguns and still do, my main reason for getting my sgc was for clays. its something for years i had wanted to try and i loved it, but a chance meeting and conversation with a neighbour who beforehand i barely knew, in fact id only said hello as i passed got me into wildfowling and now hunting anything im able to

ive always enjoyed the coutryside and am lucky to live in a fairly rural area (althugh there are so many hunters in my area theres naff all left to hunt locally) so any excuse to get out in the countryside does it for me, i used to do a lot of mountain biking until health issues stopped that three years ago so over the last 18 months getting back out there has been wonderfull.. well mostly.. getting up at 1.30am for a three hour trip then sitting upto my bits in mud in minus 3 tipping down with sleet waiting for a duck to pass isnt always the best feeling but i love it anyway!

for me the enjoyment isnt the kill, far from it i love the hunt which (hopefully) leads to the kill... the neating what i kill is amazing... true free range food

it is the primeval desire to hunt... in my eyes its not a hobby or a sport its a life choice every minuet im awake its all about the hunt the land the food

+1

And of course I plain and simply love to bo outdoors surrounded by "nature" and "wildlife" as much as possible - Wherever you are and no matter how often you go there the chances are that you will always see something new or different to watch and appreciate!

To me one of the finest ways to start any morning off is to be outdoors listening to the "dawn chorus"!

Grew up with guns and always had a reason to shoot something whether for food or pest control, then clays came along in my youth which were for honing shotgun skills and a bit of competitive fun. Later on I got into match rifle taking it to National squad level/team before they closed the nearer ranges and I was faced with 10hr round trips to just keep my ranking up and was faced with keep shooting or divorce, had young kids so match shooting was sacrificed. Coach later told me I'd been in the running for the '98 CG and the 2000 Olympic squads which was a real sickener, I never have and never will forgive my ex for forcing me to give that up.

Fast forward and 1 divorce later I have a new partner and we're both getting into clays, I seriously thought about match shooting again but even the small indoor club has closed down so nowhere to practice and I'm not prepared to put in the miles to get where I was. I have one clay ground within 3 miles, one around 40 mins away and a shed-load within 2hrs so if I decide I want to pursue clay shooting seriously I have the facilities to take it as far as my ability will take me.

I long ago decided I didn't find shooting game for sport either challenging or enjoyable although I enjoy rough shooting with my springer but only for the pot and pest control, its the field craft bit that really appeals.

There are some cracking answers on here,

I shoot 99% clays these days,

I still get out rarely to shoot live stuff and I still enjoy that.

All the friends I knock around with now (give or take 1 or 2) I have met through shooting,

It's a great way to meet like minded people and have a Laff

:shaun: