Brilliant Bank Holiday

Friday saw us heading out to a field that DB had seen in Thursday afternoon which had approx fifty birds on it . As we arrived the Farmer was rolling it with the discs. We asked if it had birds on it before he started and he said no, so we went to look two other fields that had been seeded with barley. The first one had no birds on it the second had a flight line passing over two trees in the middle, as we watched four birds passed over. So we decided to stand under the trees till the the Farmer had finished rolling the barley field. I had one shot and missed DB brought one bird down it was so high it had an oxygen mask on. The flightline stopped so we returned to the first field. The Farmer had left and we watched it for twenty minutes , three birds passed but did not land. It was 11.00 and DB had seen the birds down at 14.00 so we took the risk and set up under a tree in the field. This was great for the sun as it was behind us but the wind was in our face so the birds would come from the back both sides of the tree. We set up with the magnet close in front of us and two groups five of birds each side of the tree about thirty paces out from the hide . As the day went on we had a steady supply of birds flying in from the rear and we kept adding to the pattern , at one point we had fifty decoys out infront of us and birds making suicidal dives to the pattern only to turn to wind at the last minute. We packed up at 17.30 and picked up one hundred and seven birds making it at great day.

I had a call Friday night from a Farmer who had just drilled fifty acres of peas and asked us to keep an eye on it as he said " pigeons love peas". This make three farms we have all with fifty acres of peas . So we checked out the peas first thing , not one bird.We had a look at some barley drilling and it had two pigeons and four crows on it. We travelled round most of the morning not finding any number of birds , eventually we found a field of barly which had " greened up" but the birds were still down on it, in total we had about fifty birds down with the occasional one joining. We contacted the Farmer who informed us that he was going to give us a ring in the week as the birds had been on it all week!!!. So we set up at 13.00 with just the twevle natural birds , no magnet as it was a long walk to the field . We had ten on spikes and two angels at the leading edge of the pattern . The big problem was the sun , you would get the first shot off and the second was into the sun. The first hour was steady and nice shooting the next three and a half hours were manic as the bird would just keep comming , DB and I were constantly shooting and with the sun moving across our line of fire we both ended up with wonderful throbbing heads. But the result was brilliant , we stopped shooting at 17.30 and picked up one hundred and ninty eight pigeons and twenty six crows. We were not sure of the running total as we would have shot another two had we known as they were still comming in as we packed up. A Brilliant Bank Holiday.

ad259fb9-8750-4007-9709-b5f3917bd9ae_zps

71d4dfd4-c7f6-4092-b057-cd954ff90cf3_zps

Wow great going P C I dream of having perms with that many pigeons on. Well deserved after all the miles and reccy you do!!

Thanks , all those miles in the passed weeks have given us a good idea of what's about. It's like most things in life you get out of it what you put into it. I'm sometimes accused of bragging with my posts but I do it to show what is achievable if you try, we are just normal blokes not superheroes .

Thanks , all those miles in the passed weeks have given us a good idea of what's about. It's like most things in life you get out of it what you put into it. I'm sometimes accused of bragging with my posts but I do it to show what is achievable if you try, we are just normal blokes not superheroes .

That's a superb couple of days shooting PC :good: You and DB put in ten times the miles and effort to find the birds, that most people do, so consequently you get/deserve the payback :yes: I personally have never seen a post from you that I would regard as bragging, keep them coming :good::good:

There is no bragging in your posts.

You do however keep moving the goal posts. When you post a few reports of poor days, and even a blank of late I wondered that the pigeons may have deserted you or that you had lost your touch. I should have known better.

Well done PC great write up and amazing bag ! I think you must be super heroes to get that lot back to the motor lol

Atvb Dave

Yes it used to be eighty in a bag , now it's sixty in a bag and more journeys but as I said previously we are not super heroes I.e Batman and Robin more Del Boy and Rodney