What % of your time is spent thinking about shooting?

JDog

The thread about the % of income spent on shooting has thrown up some interesting replies. To some a few hundred pounds forms a high % and has to be scraped together. Others with more disposable income may spend thousands of pounds on their sport. Those in the first situation may ultimately get more value out of their sporting forays.

In your waking hours (we all dream about shooting or rather we all dream that we can shoot), what % of your time at work or play is spent thinking about shooting in all of it's various forms? This can include actual participation, preparing for an outing, considering guns/rifles and ammunition, chatting on forums or the phone to like minded souls, driving along looking for flight lines or stalking/rabbiting/foxing opportunities, getting the kit together and dealing with the end result be it plucking, gutting, skinning etc.

As the originator of this post I believe that I may qualify for an exemption from putting in my own figure. This is just as well as I may easily have been shown up as the truly sad creature that I am.

Taking off the the 33% for sleeping each day. About 33% as got to leave sometime for meal prep and eating and other things vital to life. The joys of being retired.

Must confess clothes shopping is peppered with thoughts of" is it any good to go shooting in" Tesco kaki trousers and Azda George small check red, white and blue short sleeve shirt.

dogs..weather...clothes....PW....time of day....seeing pigeons in the garden.....shopping (shall i buy a pork pie for the hide ?)......gardening (need to get it done so i can get out this afternoon)..smell of gun oil in the shed...

a good 90% of my waking life............sad isnt it..?

oh and by the way you dont qualify as to being excempt, so bloody well own up.......and i bet lady dogs % will be higher than yours !!!

Edited by ditchman

I spend most of my time thinking if I will ever shoot the amount of pigeon that JDog does , I also think a lot about if he is as poor a shot as he claims.

After many sleepless nights giving this much contemplation I have come to the conclusion the answer is no and no !

All day every day, and dream about it at night. Some time's cant sleep thinking of the day to come, just like Steveg. :no:

shooting gives me the opportunity to switch off from the daily grind of the rat race,bit embarrassing though when you are in a sales meeting and you are asked a question however you are thinking about that last double you had the weekend... :whistling:

no better feeling than the night before you are out..tomorrow I will get my PB..... yeah right

Difficult to estimate % but as others have said thoughts very easily turn to shoot related stuff. I spend a lot of my time in the countryside and therefore always looking for signs of game, shoots, shooters. Even a shopping trip with SWMBO took us into Jarolds Appartment store where eyes very quickly picked up on Barbour products - she of course noticed me vere off towards this little nugget of desire!!

Strange though like other things in life, since i got married and had children i seem to spend more time thinking about various leisure activities, than actually taking part!

Some i don't do at all anymore.......which i used to do alot......like you know, ...playing rugby!

Take from that what you will..... :whistling:

Cheers

Aled

If shooting is your passion it becomes your life, all day every day even if you are not consciously thinking about it your unconscious thought process will be keeping it to the fore in the way you perceive the world around you, the way you act, the way that you view the actions of others or their inactions and also the way that the world is in general, there are only two types of people, those that shoot and those that do not!