Any one cutting rape yet

docholiday

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seen rape getting swathed in east yorkshire today. some of the barley looks very nearly ready too :good:

yer got loads spayed of and swathed so should not be long and wood you no it 7 .....12hrs shifts on bounce ouch there going to hurt

Edited by swiss.tony

Some rape being sprayed off this week and last week.

I think its going to be a bit hectic at harvest time this year, some of my farms have barley, rape, seed peas, beans and linseed all coming together fast and the wheat is not far behind.

At least it may mean the "stubbles" get left a few weeks.......hopefully.

Good point about the stubbles being around longer if all of the crops become ready at the same time. I used to despair when stubbles were ripped up the day after the crop had been harvested until I discovered that pigeons are just as eager to feed in those fields for a few days at least, particularly after rape.

I'm not too good with all the terms, can someone tell me what swathing is please?

I think it was sprayed on my permission a couple of weeks ago, tracks suddenly appeared on it anyway!

I've seen a barley field turned to stubble up north (borders) in the last week and there's a field of rape at the side of the A1 near Worksop / Tuxford that's been cut and left for the last few days, never noticed them do it like that :unsure:

I'm not too good with all the terms, can someone tell me what swathing is please?

I think it was sprayed on my permission a couple of weeks ago, tracks suddenly appeared on it anyway!

I've seen a barley field turned to stubble up north (borders) in the last week and there's a field of rape at the side of the A1 near Worksop / Tuxford that's been cut and left for the last few days, never noticed them do it like that :unsure:

Swathing is what happens when they go over the rape with a combine but only cut it. They leave this cut rape to dry out and as it does the seed pods become very fragile and easy to open for the pigeons and so it is very attractive for shooting.