pheasant today with huntsman calssic .22

evo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have obviously not done any shotgun shooting if u think its that easy rifle shooting and shotgun shooting are two totally different things .

I agree that once you get used to moving quiet etc with an air rifle then its easy to shoot rabbits birds etc, As for the shotgun its diff not as easy as most people think. I once had someone ask how many pigeons I got after a few hours on the flight lines with no decoys etc and I replied I got 3, They then looked shocked and said why did you only get three, sure you would get 3-4 with one shot.

ime a keen air rifle shooter and i shoot pheasants,to be honest i did,nt even know it was legal to shoot pheasants with an air rifle, you learn some thing new every day, saying that in a nice way i would,nt do it any way. ime a double AA clay shooter and proper driven pheasant are not easy to hit for those who think its easy. but if i went in our wood were we put pheasants down you could wipe out may be 20 ,30 in a afternoon with an air rifle,thats the reason why i would never do it.just my opinion..cheers simon

Edited by simon6ppc

i was not being negative to your post pal, just saying my opinion. suppose if your not poaching and its legal then get on with it, being killed with a shot gun or 50 cal if your not breaking the law, no problem, just i would,nt do it thats all...

He's shot 1 for the pot. Not wiping out 20/30. Very reasonable if you ask me. It's humane, legal and I don't see what the fuss is about. Air rifle is more than able to dispatch a pheasant, if it was fox or something bigger then I can understand and agree with the slagging off. But it's not!!!

Are you sure you are a keeper,and if so can you show the new legislation that makes shooting game with a semi illegal as thats a very new one to me fella.

:stupid:

well done buddy nice shooting dont see what all the fuss is about be it an iar rifle pellet of a shot gun pellet the end result is the same :good: :good:

It's not illegal to shoot pheasants with a semi auto.

It's down to the shoot if they want folk to use a semi auto or not. Most just don't allow them.

No, that's for wildfowl mate.

Nope there is a law against shooting birds with an auto with a magazine capacity of more than two. But an exemption in the general license for species on it, pheasants aren't on it.

Next on the list of sporting achievements here should be shooting pheasants at roost, that's pretty challenging

It's not illegal to shoot pheasants with a semi auto.

It's down to the shoot if they want folk to use a semi auto or not. Most just don't allow them.

No, that's for wildfowl mate.

http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/docid/7C29BD90-DB06-4EF3-B44F1CBD1CDA6B00

People really ought to know the law before they go out shooting...

Edited by oscarsdad

I have never considered pheasant particulary "sporting" in the fact that they are actually quite dumb. Ok high birds forced out by a team of beaters can be challenging shooting. try the same with crows with your guns lined up stood out in open plain view and nobody is likely to even get a shot, does this mean crows are a more sporting bird than pheasant? I mean the gamebird things will even job back into the wood once things quieten down and you can come back next week and do it all again. Try shooting crows once to often in a location and the flightline will move.

perhaps we should examine what is the word "sporting" meaning to many it is obviously quite different. for instance shooting pheasants off roost could be quite challenging even called sporting with a team of keepers and the local plod trying to catch you at it, many have written of such exploits in the past. Of course a well raised gent like me would never have tried it for real "LOL" Maybee its what gives you personally " the game of chance and skill" that defines the word "sport".

Now i dont shoot driven pheasant as i personally do not see my "sport" in taking chancy high shots stood out in the open in plain view in fancy dress but rather in going out and finding the quarry in my tatty old work clothes and shooting it well within the range window. Many wildfowlers will know you can be disaplined or expelled from many clubs by shooting at high birds, yet we say high pheasant are sporting and low ones are not? Its all very confusing when you look at it logically

Have i ever shot a pheasant with a rifle? Yes i shoot a few each year that have been wounded on the shoots that suround my property (if they totaly need it) what does this say about high birds i wonder? but i like to leave them alone if they dont need finishing as they tame up very quick and are good for having around generally and training the dogs here. Do i shoot any with shotgun? yes i walk an odd brace up for the table, i dont find it very challenging you dont need to creep about just walk gun in hand along the hedges and rushy bits and they pop up into the air with the alarm call to wake you up and bang! would i critisise someone who gets a great deal of what they think of as sport by doing this nope! for me its more of a nice walk with benefits.

I dont get the whole semi auto thing though. Turn up with a std three shot auto and your a cad, turn up with two sidelock ejectors and a loader and you become a gent. I mean i have seen 4 dead in the air with the two gun guy yet you cant do that with a 3 shot as your a shot short of the 4 also you have to peronally put three more squibs in from empty so the general cadence is far slower overall through the drive. Safety is not in the gun its in the user so thats a non starter, what we are realy talking about here is IMAGE!

If you wait for pheasants to offer a shot with air rifle it aint realy giving the bird a lot of chance, if you bump into one that desides to squat the same applies in my opinion- the shot is down to pure chance as the bird is not tuned into locating such dangers, you are simply harvesting it as an opertunity. A friend who only shoots rifles has been asked by the landowner to shoot any cocks he sees and yet leave the hens alone, is he wrong in doing so? remember this is at the landowners request to kill cocks.

Personally i think the major error is not keeping quiet about such things and respecting the fact that to the great majority shooting pheasants with an air gun in cammo gear in the half light is unforgivable. Even if its legal its a bit like a 50yr old bloke dating or marrying a 16yr old- he is going to get some serious stick

dam good shot,why do shotgunners have such a problem if any game bird is not shot on the wing.i have seen a beaten shoot it must be so hard to hit those birds comeing right at you with 80 odd pellets heading their way,so much skill.............not.good on you 30 yards 1 pellet 1barrel 1 chance 1kill what is soo bad about that?and you are going to eat it.unlike alot of shoots where i have seen eccess birds buried in the ground.dare say i will get some s..t now from you know who.bring it on

i've got no particular issue with the pheasant being taken with an air rifle - if he has permission to do it, then fair enough - but your post has just demonstrated that you don't understand / have any experience of shotguns or game shooting.

edit, the first time I shot walked up pheasants (on the wing), i thought it would be much easier than decoying pigeons, i quickly realised it was not.

Edited by pegasus bridge

Nope there is a law against shooting birds with an auto with a magazine capacity of more than two. But an exemption in the general license for species on it, pheasants aren't on it.

Next on the list of sporting achievements here should be shooting pheasants at roost, that's pretty challenging

Thanks, never knew that.

http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/docid/7C29BD90-DB06-4EF3-B44F1CBD1CDA6B00

People really ought to know the law before they go out shooting...

I do, regarding the type of shooting I do.

Never looked into fac semi auto rules, as I have never, nor do I intend to, own one.

Being a wildfowler, I knew they were not permitted.

i've got no particular issue with the pheasant being taken with an air rifle - if he has permission to do it, then fair enough - but your post has just demonstrated that you don't understand / have any experience of shotguns or game shooting.

edit, the first time I shot walked up pheasants (on the wing), i thought it would be much easier than decoying pigeons, i quickly realised it was not.

Agreed!

If they are 'wild' birds no problem with the OP shooting pheasants with an air rifle. Top shot mate if it's out in the field!

If my syndicate shot either that land or adjacent it might be a different matter though. It's not illegal to shoot birds that have strayed 'off shoot' but not the done thing. Just make sure you have permission to take them.

I do, regarding the type of shooting I do.

Never looked into fac semi auto rules, as I have never, nor do I intend to, own one.

Being a wildfowler, I knew they were not permitted.

Bang right, mate.

I shoot pigeons, game & wildfowl - all with shotguns. I do not need to know about deer seasons etc. Yeah, it's still shooting, but it ain't the same.

Just make sure you are legal with the type of shooting you do.

dam good shot,why do shotgunners have such a problem if any game bird is not shot on the wing.i have seen a beaten shoot it must be so hard to hit those birds comeing right at you with 80 odd pellets heading their way,so much skill.............not.good on you 30 yards 1 pellet 1barrel 1 chance 1kill what is soo bad about that?and you are going to eat it.unlike alot of shoots where i have seen eccess birds buried in the ground.dare say i will get some s..t now from you know who.bring it on

I have never shot a pheasant with an air rifle but one shot one kill is fine by me. Before you knock driven shooting you should maybe try and get a bit of knowledge about it and shotgun shooting.

as long as you have license to kill game dont suppose it matters if killed cleanly...would'nt be me tho..a dont shoot any game never intrested me that side of it..pigeons'geese&ducks that will do me..and bunnys!! :hmm:

You dont need a licence to kill game anymore, Game licences were abolished in 2007 in England and Wales, 2011 in Scotland.