Gun Safety? Finger up the Barrel of a Semi Auto

bakerboy

Has anyone seen this months PULL magazine ? Page 28 Safety Corner, Safety First.

Check to see the gun is unloaded and clear by placing your finger inside the barrel. The wording says "You can insert your fingers for a physical check too in the interest of building multi level safety :hmm:??? .

It is not something I would want to do, what about you?

All I would say, bearing in mind who is in the picture and who wrote the article, is Puuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllll your finger out before you lose it.

I stand to be corrected of course if I am wrong.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I`m happy to do that. Just exercise a little caution and keep your fingers away from the release catch.

It`s especially effective for wildfowlers operating in poor light, or indeed complete darkness, and is the ultimate test of "empty".

Absolutely impossible to miss "seeing" a cartridge and generally very good advice.

Could, might,maybe, but probably won't. yes I would stick my fingers in there to check for a stuck round (carefully in an 11-87, those rails get scalpel sharp)

Squinting down the dangerous end and seeing darkness just as the bolt slams shut on a live round stuck in the chamber has somewhat more serious potential.

You can fix mashed fingers with swearing and elastoplast but a steaming hole where your eye and the back of your head used to be might take a bit more work.

make a plug and flag for it, just push one empty case inside another and tie a bit of ribbon round it.

Personal choice, but I would never use an old cartridge or one of those flags.

Getting into the habit of sticking something in the gun, basically loading it with a duff cartridge, especially in the dark, is asking for trouble.

Same for those snap caps, a lapse in concentration or a distraction, could end in tears.

The plastic safe-t-plugs are about the safest option.

not shotgun i know, but during weapons training with the old SLR 7.62, it was Cock Hook Look and Feel.

I'm sorry mate but I think you will find that the army saying with a 7.62 SLR was "Cock, Loch and LOOK" not FEEL!

I would dare anyone to try putting their finger into my Breda to check it had an empty chamber as the spring is so strong that if they touched the trelease button it would take their finget clean off and stop them from picking their nose for ever!