Fire wood/logs

pegleg31

How does everyone buy theirs? and what prices are they paying?

Can get a load of wet split logs for £80 (about two builders bags)

Builders bag for £60

A tipper load of 4ft lengths for £100 which I need to cut and split

I'd like to find somewhere where I can buy 8ft lengths in bulk

Been there, done that and you can keep it. :no:

Don't reckon much to having to haul wood out of the store every day and keep feeding the fire every hour or so and coming home to a cold house after a day out. Muck and dust everywhere. Vastly over rated IMO

Next house will have proper central heating.

alright victor (meldrew)!

We will have central heating and a log burner, so wont come home to a cold house, but then can light the fire to keep costs down. If i keep getting surplus i can also sell a few bags here and there. I just sell them £2 a sack though, not in large bulk loads.

Vastly over rated IMO

till you get the first winter quarter gas bill :lol:

We have the heating set at a fairly low level and just on for a few hours morning and evening till the thermostat turns it off, then the log burner takes over. 23 the room was sat at last night with the door open warming the rest of the house, to do that on gas you could easily double your bill

Been there, done that and you can keep it. :no:

Don't reckon much to having to haul wood out of the store every day and keep feeding the fire every hour or so and coming home to a cold house after a day out. Muck and dust everywhere. Vastly over rated IMO

Next house will have proper central heating.

Over rated in a romantic cosy open fire kind of way but essential when you have no central heating and the only alternative is an £8 grand oil system install and minimum of £1200 a year on top of the electricity bill. I'll stick to wood for the time being.

Yeh not over rated for me either. Nothing better than getting in from work on a cold night and lighting a roaring open fire to keep warm. Also as some have said it keeps the gas bills down and how hard is it to light a fire (not very). A half hour cutting of peat/turf (approx £70) and as much free scrap wood from the forestry as I can get my hands on will keep my open fire burning all winter and keep my feet warm. :yes:

We put one in last December and pay £60.00 for a builders bag of hardwood(oak, birch or ash) which has a moisture content of betweem 10-14%. The only problem we had was self inflicted. By not allowing the pressures to neutralise when opening the fire door we have gradually caused all the ceiling paintwork and curtains to be covered in soot. Not good when the room was only decorated at the same time as the fire was put in. But heyho, live and learn. That apart it's well worth it.

till you get the first winter quarter gas bill :lol:

We have the heating set at a fairly low level and just on for a few hours morning and evening till the thermostat turns it off, then the log burner takes over. 23 the room was sat at last night with the door open warming the rest of the house, to do that on gas you could easily double your bill

We are on oil out in the sticks so probably worse than gas!, fitted a multi fuel burner when we moved in to help keep the overall price down and it makes a nice feature in the room with a big chunk of oak as the mantelpiece and natural stone pillars each end supporting it.

Had an oil delivery this week and the guy was amazed that we'd only had one delivery since before the winter, reckons the average for the same size houses was 3 or 4 deliveries over the same period.

I cut up a lot of wood myself and have tons of leylandii drying out for use in a year or twos time. Also got a stack of hardwood logs from doing a bit of clearing up at a local football ground.

We can get a transit load of dry oak offcuts from the local sawmills for around £100 and that will last pretty much all winter so all in all it is a pleasant feature in the room and with the living room door open lets heat get round the whole house. Agree that it gets a bit dusty but the uvver arf needs something to keep her busy during the day ;)

post-323-0-81620900-1365754891_thumb.jpg

well the last quarter gas bill hit the doormat this morning and at £50 a month over the rather cold period we have had its apparent our woodburner is working well :yes:

That is free logs so minor cost involved in carting back roughly a pickup load a month

Rooster, I like the sleeper mantelpiece.

The key to woodburning happiness is to get a modern, efficient stove. In my last house I had a Dunsley Yorkshire with backboiler, it did all the hot water and central heating, plus warmed the large front room easily. In my current house there is an ancient Villager, no backboiler, very simple design with rear flue and it's absolutely useless, all the heat goes straight up the chimney.

well the last quarter gas bill hit the doormat this morning and at £50 a month over the rather cold period we have had its apparent our woodburner is working well :yes:

That is free logs so minor cost involved in carting back roughly a pickup load a month

£50/month. Mine was £800 for the quarter. I have no idea what the wife was up to (I was away). I bet Mungler/ME and the rest of the Essex Posse have been turning up the thermostat everytime that they have been around.

And we have a wood burner!

Nice!! We are paying about £40 a month for our gas, so the open fire is working. However, it is only me and the missus so not all rooms need heated.