The "Realy Tasty Bottled Beer" thread.

Frenchieboy

I'm not a "big" or "heavy" drinker but I do enjoy a good bottle of beer now and then in the evenings when I am relaxing. With this in mind along with the fact that there are so many different bottled beers available in the Supermarkets (Often at "Discounted" or "Special Offer" prices) I thought it would be fun if we could all get together on this thread and try them all and let members know what we thought of them.

OK I realise that we all might have different tastes in beers but lets all be honest in our "reviews" and say exactly what we thought of the diferent beers, after all it's not so likely to start WWIII in the same way that some of the threads on PW do!

OK tonight I went to Morrisons and got three bottles on their "Special Offer" shelf for £4.50. They were Dark Lord, Riggwelter and Sneck Lifter, all in 500ml bottles @ three bottles for £4.50, so what did I think of them?

Dark Lord from Batemans Brewery.

This is described as a "Dark Ruby Beer" of 5.0% volume. To me this was more like descent Brown Ale! It was certainly tasty enough and one that I would buy again but in my opinion it was nothing outstanding! I would have to say that it tasted a little stronger than it said on the bottle and that alone made it a pleasure to drink and one that could be enjoyed at any social event (BBQ< Party, General Get Together or even a night in with the boss while still keeping your whits about you!

Riggwelter by Black Sheep Brewery.

This one is another "dark beer" and marked at 5.7%Vol. It is certainly pleasant enough to drink and although a little darker in colour has a taste somewhat reminiscent of Newcastle Brown Ale. I drank mine at room temperature but suspect that it might have been better chilled. I personally would describe this beer as "mediocre" and not one that I would go out of my way to buy again!

Snecks Lifter from Jennings Brewery.

Ok the third and last one to try tonight and to be perfectly honest I wish I had tried this one first and then at least things would have improved! labeled at 5.1%Vol and described on the label as " A strong satisfying ale wonderfully warming and full of complex flavours" this is definitely one that I will not be buying again! It's a dark beer that goes quite flat in the glass quite quickly resembling a glass of cheap Coke after just a few short minutes. To drink it has a "musky" taste that seems to stay with you in your mouth for quite a few minutes. Some might like this sort of thing but it sertainlt isn't for me!

Out of all three that I have tried tonight I would have to say that the Riggwelter gets top marks from me, and rating it out of 10 I would have to give it at least 8.5.

Ok guys, I do not claim to be an expert on beers but I enjoy a beer occasionally and know what I like in a beer. Let's hear from you now. What beers do you like and what do you think taste remarkably like cats pee? Between us maybe we can decide on which is the best British Bottled Beer to buy and drink. It's a hell of a difficult job for us to take on, tasting and drinking all of these beers so that we can advise others, but someones got to do it and I will be visiting the Beer Shelves in the Supermarket each time I take The Boss to do the shopping - It might even make the shopping trip bearable!

p.s. Please excuse any typing errors, beer and my fingers don't always agree with each other!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a real bargain Lord Geordie, what beers were they?

Popped up a mates the other night and he gave me Old Speckled Hen, it was blooming lovely.A light ale, and i think it had honey in it.Would definatly buy it.

Old Speckled Hen is a really great beer one of my favourites, I would rate it as in my "Top 5 Bottled Beers"!

I love a good ale, try Goliath (4.1 volume), Hob Goblin (5.2 volume) and King Goblin (7.2 volume) all from wychwood brewery, Abbots is also very good, spoilt for choice at the supermarkets these days, also some very good golden ales out like Dizzy blonde, Wainwright, and from the badger brewery, Tangle foot, Fursty Ferret, Golden Glory, and Golden Champion. :drinks:

If You like Old Speckled hen, try there Golden hen. Bit lighter more golden ale with a slightly sweeter taste. It's a bit more of a session beer and very good for converting lager drinkers to "real beer".

What do you think of HobGoblin Frenchieboy? Looking at your list you seem to prefer the darker, heavier ales.

Edited by Pigeon Paul

If You like Old Speckled hen, try there Golden hen. Bit lighter more golden ale with a slightly sweeter taste. It's a bit more of a session beer and very good for converting lager drinkers to "real beer".

What do you think of HobGoblin Frenchieboy? Looking at your list you seem to prefer the darker, heavier ales.

Hi Paul, It's not that I prefer darker beers, it's just a case of that's what caught my fancy in Morrisons last night. I am in fact extremely partial to a drop of Old Speckled Hen (Haven't tried Golden Hen yet but certainly would like to) or Hobgoblin, and of course many of the other "lighter" beers and hope very much to be doing a little tasting/review on them later on. :drinks: Unfortunately "The Boss" tends to restrict how many bottles I can "review" each evening as she says too many make me snore and keeps her awake - Mind you Her idea of "Too Many" and my idea of "Too Many" can vary greatly - Some women have no sense of adventure! :no:

It's a terribly difficult and tiring job this beer tasting, but someones got to do it! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

my top ones at the moment are -

Old bob

Old tom

St Austell HSD

goose island IPA

Manns (weak but tasty)

All the black sheep are nice

Granny wouldnt like it

innis and gunns are nice if a little odd like campaign beer

Franziskaner Waissbier

Abbaye des rocs

Worst ive ever had are the cantillon beers ugh!